PDA

View Full Version : 20ssv wake info

Jonboy
07-03-2012, 11:14 PM
Just put the first weekend in, out on the water with the new boat. Couldn't figure out how to make the wake work for surfing. Anyone have a 20ssv like this one that has info on surfing it. Has factory 1200lbs of ballast but couldn't seem to find the sweet spot. Any info would be much appreciated. Boat performed top notch for skiing, wakeboarding and even did a little barefootin.
Thanks, John

kevkev
07-05-2012, 10:09 AM
Not sure what year your boat is, but mine is an 07 20ssv with the same 1200lb factory ballast. I found that the right side throws a cleaner wake so i fill that locker all the way and the center locker full with the wakeplate all the way up and only my wife driving the boat. I run 11.8 mph and i can throw the rope in the boat as soon as i get up. I ride an inland surfer squirt which is a short and fast board, i am 6'3" and 210. I don't really understand why so many people on here think that they need 4000lbs of ballast to surf, yes it definitely will help make a bigger wave but until you are good enough to surf without holding on to the rope i wouldn't bother making the wave bigger because you still won't be good enough to ride it. Hope this helps and good luck trying to get yours dialed in.

Swamplandkarl
07-05-2012, 12:29 PM
Just put the first weekend in, out on the water with the new boat. Couldn't figure out how to make the wake work for surfing. Anyone have a 20ssv like this one that has info on surfing it. Has factory 1200lbs of ballast but couldn't seem to find the sweet spot. Any info would be much appreciated. Boat performed top notch for skiing, wakeboarding and even did a little barefootin.
Thanks, John

Hi Jon,
I have a 2010 and surf both sides, I ended up upgrading the rear locker ballast to the 750lb sacks (made a huge difference) and can make a pretty good wave on both sides now...Right side seems to be a little better but both still pretty good..
I have found that if you add to much ballast to the boat you will get to a point that the wave will get worse not better...
This is my setup..400lbs center, 750lbs left or right side, wake plate level and about 10.5-10.7 MPH.
There are usually 5 of us in the boat including the rider, put two left or right side and one in the front plus the driver seems to work best for us.
Something else, if you surf in a shallow lake under around 13' it will not make a wave that will pull very well.....

We surfed behind a new surf edition Enzo this past weekend and I can make a wave with my 20v that is almost as good.....

I do have some cubes I can fill if I dont have enough people in the boat but not necessary....

I called and talked to wakemakers and the 750lb sacks is what they recommended, they will fill up the rear lockers when filled.....

Good Luck.....

dusty2221
07-05-2012, 12:41 PM
I had a 20ssv and we had the surf wave dialed in. We all surf goofy, so this is all starboard related. We ran a 750 in the rear locker full, we used a 400 on top of the sunpad, the center was full (walkthrough not playpen style) and we used a 400 pounder in the bow on the surfside. Plate was 3/4 down, and around 11.4 speed. The wave was incredible and the rubrail was under water by a good bit when not moving.