PDA

View Full Version : Any Water in the Austin Area?

sybrmike
07-04-2012, 02:15 PM
I was at Sommerville two weeks ago & it's at or slightly above pool, but haven't heard about the hill country lakes. After last year's drought, have any of the Austin area lakes recovered enough for boating? May be going up to visit some in-laws next weekend in Pflugerville & wife wants to haul the boat up & take the nephews out. Any insight from the locals (Salty?) would be appreciated. Thanks.

AustinSaltare
07-04-2012, 03:28 PM
We were on Lake Travis and Lake Georgetown this week and the water is great. The only public ramp open on Travis (that I'm aware of) is at Mansfield Dam and with 4 available lanes, the wait is somewhat short. Lake Georgetown is just north of Pflugerville and, while a small lake, there are usually few boats on the water, especially early to mid-morning on the west end of the lake.

Salty87
07-05-2012, 11:27 AM
lake travis is low right now for sure. when it drops 7' more the last public ramp will be closed. the low level is actually kind of good. when it's full the water gets hit harder by wind. right now it's more protected. not sure if any lakeside businesses are open since the distance from water to the 'shore' is huge now. the open ramp is mansfield dam park if you want to google the location.

i've never done lake georgetown. lake austin is constant level but really just a dammed river. it can get crowded. go early and you can find good water.

sybrmike
07-05-2012, 06:39 PM
Thanks guys. Haven't been to LCRA in a long time - it's gotta be pretty hairy backing that far down the Mansfield ramps? With Travis so low, is it still safe to travel upstream any or do you have to stay down by the dam? Nevermind, I'm a little unsettled at the prospect of hauling my fairly unproven boat 3 hours to an unfamiliar lake in drought conditions and limited shore support... So, probably just fight the crowds on Lake Austin, but I think the bro-in-law knows Georgetown fairly well.

I haven't forgotten, Salty87 - think I still owe you that cold beverage...

Thanks again guys - sounds like we have the makings of a Central Texas Saltare Floatilla.

Salty87
07-05-2012, 07:18 PM
a cold one?...sending a pm!

sybrmike
07-05-2012, 09:21 PM
pm replied!