PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions where I can find one?

gogger
07-04-2012, 09:52 PM
I opened the drivers side vent window sunday, so my wife decided to try and open hers, not knowing how the latch worked. She broke the latch. It didn't move the rest of the day so I sort of forgot she broke it. Going home I noticed in the mirror it was open and caught in the wind. Before I could stop it pulled off and shattered on the pavement. I really would like to replace it. It is kind of like missing a front tooth. Anyways, does anyone have an idea how I can replace it?

Ptownkid
07-04-2012, 10:37 PM
I think quite a few people are looking for that piece...maybe someone has one kicking about though.

mapleleaf
07-04-2012, 10:40 PM
get me the measurements of each side of your remaining vent window, i bought a pair off Viper yrs ago and they didnt fit my boat, I've been trying to give them away since.....

jshepp122
07-06-2012, 11:20 AM
I had the same problem, on my passenger window I noticed it said American glass company in Florida, I gave em a call and they were able to cut me a new window by dimensions I gave em, I searched everywhere and no one carries those windows to order unless you can find someone parting out their boat. They were my only option I could find. I was told by a few dealers some companies can cut a new one out of plexiglass if you want to go that route.

gogger
07-06-2012, 05:27 PM
The approx measurements are 18.5 bottom 13 front 5.5 top and back is 9.5 all in inches. Pretty close but not super exact measurements.

DAFF
07-06-2012, 08:14 PM
I would remove the other side window and bring it in to a good glass company. I don't think it would be too hard to have one made up.....

gogger
07-06-2012, 08:51 PM
I will probably do that if the ones mapleleaf has won't fit.

Blackntan90
07-08-2012, 07:38 PM
That almost happened to me when my wife tried to open the vent window and broke the handle... I guess I got real lucky on that one! I have since shown her how they work, but in the owners manual there is a warning about the correct way to operate the vent window- seems there was probably a few warranty claims too many!

mapleleaf
07-09-2012, 12:10 AM
I'll check tomorrow morning...If they fit I'll bring'm to MI next fri and can ship from there if thats cool.....saves on all that free trade we don't really benefit from lol
I put in a 90 hr week and kinda forgot...I'm back on it....

cole1
07-09-2012, 03:34 PM
I would just go to Lowes and buy a piece of LEXAN. Make a template and cut a new one with a jig saw. Smooth the edges with sandpaper... Done...

gogger
07-09-2012, 08:55 PM
Sounds good. I will happily reimburse you for the postage and you time.

Jetlink
07-10-2012, 02:23 AM
Hey John, don't ship until we get up there, I'll bring my crew ID and see about getting my discount on shipping...

gogger
07-23-2012, 11:23 PM
Maple, did you check to see if they would fit?

cadunkle
07-24-2012, 03:18 PM
I would just go to Lowes and buy a piece of LEXAN. Make a template and cut a new one with a jig saw. Smooth the edges with sandpaper... Done...

Where do you get the pivot/hinge material from?

kriley
07-24-2012, 03:30 PM
You can actually get Plexiglass with the tint that matches the glass in the windows (about a 85% match). I found the windows for $200.00 and my dealer found the windows but wanted $500.00 each - go figure........ The plexiglass cost me $15.00 - If you want the guys name in Lousianna - let me know - or you can do a google search and he comes right up..... I lost both the driver and the passwenger side -They wont fall out now!

cadunkle
07-25-2012, 09:39 AM
Kriley, how did you attach the plexi to the windshield frame?

calliemay
07-25-2012, 10:04 PM
I agree with DAFF. Shouldn't be too hard. Would love to hear what other people have to say.

SquamInboards
07-26-2012, 12:47 PM
I had one pop out like that on the highway, and it blew back into the boat, unbroken.

As far as attaching the plexi/lexan/glass whatever replacement piece, I would just caulk it with clear silicone caulk or something so it won't come out. Of course it won't be hinged but I've never understood why you needed a vent on an open-topped boat.

cadunkle
07-27-2012, 08:50 AM
I like having hinged window scoops. It's nice on those hot 100*+ days to get more air, especially if I'm just sitting anchored opening the vent window gets a lot more airflow through the boat while not moving.

SquamInboards
07-27-2012, 09:41 AM
I like having hinged window scoops. It's nice on those hot 100*+ days to get more air, especially if I'm just sitting anchored opening the vent window gets a lot more airflow through the boat while not moving.

I guess that's true, we don't get 100+ degree days very much, 95 would be about max here in a normal summer, 85 is closer to average.

trpl600
07-28-2012, 01:23 PM
If your windshield is like a 85 Saltare there is one on a boat on a rack by the chain of lakes in Illinois. I do not know the name of the place but someone on here should know of the place. It is in a marina by the rt12 bridge and has Yacht in the name. I know this is very little information but I hope someone will know of the place. The boat is trashed and has no interior or mechanicals. I took the interior for the plastic bases and they were free. The people that owned the boat just left it when they saw the floor was shot . The people that own the rack just let me have what I wanted. It has the complete windshied on it. I live 2 hours south of there and if no one knows of this place I would drive up and find out for you.

Jetlink
07-29-2012, 12:28 AM
Only marina that I can think of right off of Rt. 12 that has the racks visable from the road is Ben Watts Marina.

trpl600
07-29-2012, 09:18 AM
I am not sure about anything in that area so that might be it. I wish I had more info for you. I will just drive by up this week and find out if the boat is still there