PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to take off my SuperTrapps?

suprasam
07-05-2012, 12:26 PM
I have the original trapps, and I know the horror stories I keep 5200 to try an keep sealed. But I am thinking about taking them off and adding the standard rubber flaps. I have never seen it done or seen an article about the step by step method. Here is what I was thinking(scary). Remove the nuts, and take off all the flange/plates, the unscrew the backing plates from the transom. In my head that sounds easy job, but then I start thinking how in the hell am I going to get to the tubes to unbolt from the exhaust. I can't take out my back compartment, it doesnt unscrew. I mean I would hate to need to take out my seat, take out my tank, and then cut an access hole back for enough so I can get to these. There must be an easier way to get to a couple of hose/exhaust clamps. If I have to do the above, it would almost seem easier to cut a bigger access panel in the floor of my rear storage compartment, then just seal that up. Sure as heck would be quicker. Let me know what I am missing or if I am over thinking something that should be so easy. Thanks

wotan2525
07-05-2012, 03:41 PM
There are no hose clamps. The center nut on the supertrapps pulls the inside exhaust pipe towards the mounting flange. Remove that nut and it should all come off. The last thing there will be the flange which must then be removed. I don't know how the rubber flappers mount but to me, it seems like these would leak just as easily as some properly sealed SuperTrapps.

Once you have them off, you can clean the transom mating surface and reinstall with all new sealant. Make sure to seal the inside lip of the flange where it meets with the exhaust pipe. Everything can be done from the exterior of the boat.

Salty87
07-05-2012, 03:51 PM
if sealed well, you shouldn't have to worry about the traps for several years. i'd use 4200.

i've wondered how people are switching to flappers (and why). the holes in the hull for the exhaust pipes aren't watertight. at least with the trapps the flange takes care of that sealing issue. well, i guess it just moves it up the pipe a few inches.

with either flaps or trapps, they have to be sealed up.

suprasam
07-05-2012, 09:01 PM
Ah! Nice, that's what I really wanted to hear! Thanks guys, I have some time next week to take apart and put a new good seal under the plate. I have only sealed around it, not under it. Thanks

TitanTn
07-05-2012, 10:42 PM
Come on up for our Supra Meet this weekend in Chattanooga and we'll show you how to do it in person!