PDA

View Full Version : 1986 supra? should i buy it

brandonbb
08-31-2005, 08:57 PM
i have been looking at a 1986 supra ts6m that is very clean ,350hrs stereo with a decent trailer the blue book is around 6,000 is this a good price? is this old of a boat any good? i have never owned a supra i would like any help you might have thanks

Ed Obermeier
08-31-2005, 09:59 PM
For blue book price go to www.nadaguides.com and surf through for values. I'd also have it surveyed to see what kind of condition the stringers and other wood in it are in. Generally, up to the late 80's Supras had wood stringers and a lot of rot problems. Your cheap ski boat may end up becoming a money pit if you don't do the homework before purchase.

brandonbb
08-31-2005, 11:24 PM
thanks for the info.....by looking through the engine compartment and flooring is there an easy way for me to look for wood rot? and i have looked at the nada value and it is between 5500-6000

09-01-2005, 10:22 AM
To check for dry rot, take the back of a screwdriver and hit it against the floor. Sharp sound is good. Dull thud sound means dry rot. Some typical areas for dry rot are under the feat of the spotter, under the drivers seat and in the back corners of the boat.

Ed Obermeier
09-04-2005, 05:55 PM
My understanding is that the rot problems were under the floor behind the motor where the exhaust goes through, trapping water in there with no way to escape causing the stringers to rot out. If it were me I'd have a pro look at it, most of us don't have the experience to pick that up until too late.

You can probe around with an ice pick for soft spots too, just don't do it in front of most owners (it's the anal boat owner thing you know...).