PDA

View Full Version : Keeping engine cool while floating . . .

csuggs
07-09-2012, 01:55 PM
Has anyone made any modifications to help keep the engine cool while shut down in a cove? Maybe a fresh-air vent on top of the doghouse to allow hot air to get out, or maybe some forced outside air ducted into the top of the engine compartment? I'm trying to prevented the feared vapor lock that seems to be rearing it's ugly head in this extreme heat . . . :evil:

suprasam
07-09-2012, 02:28 PM
I was thinking about adding some vents somewhere. One maybe in the front mid-way so air can make it in, and maybe two smaller ones on the side towards the lower back portion of the dog house. I need to find some that dont poke out to much so you dont kick them or snag shorts on them either though. I will be following this to see what anyone adds their ideas. If I do something I will post before and after pictures.

wiatowski
07-09-2012, 03:00 PM
Why not just open the dog house for 5-10 mins?

csuggs
07-09-2012, 03:10 PM
Why not just open the dog house for 5-10 mins?

I could do that, but with people in the boat . . . .

I just thought of something. The cupholders on my doghouse are covered with vinyl, but the holes are still there. What if I cut the vinyl, and installed a vent like what is on the stern and then made a duct going into the engine housing to allow hot air to escape?

csuggs
07-09-2012, 03:13 PM
Now I'm getting on a roll . . .

Or, I could install an exhaust fan in the compartment on the back side of the doghouse and blow it out through one of the vents!

Sluggo
07-09-2012, 03:14 PM
Wouldn't your exhaust fan essentially do the same job? I have never felt the air coming out so I don't know how effective it is at removing heat, but if it's job is to remove fuel vapor, it should be exchanging a vast amount of the air in the engine compartment. Might be different for a direct drive though.

csuggs
07-09-2012, 03:36 PM
Wouldn't your exhaust fan essentially do the same job? I have never felt the air coming out so I don't know how effective it is at removing heat, but if it's job is to remove fuel vapor, it should be exchanging a vast amount of the air in the engine compartment. Might be different for a direct drive though.

On a direct drive, the exhaust vent for the fuel vapors is in the bottom of the bilge, because the fuel vapor is heavier than air. So the main exchange of air happens in the bilge area, leaving very hot air trapped in the upper part of the dog house.

wiatowski
07-09-2012, 03:41 PM
yes it should do the same job.

just remember if you vent out if the lid there might be engine noise consequences.

If you really want to put one in I would vent it into the little compartment in the back of the dog house, so all you would have to do is take off the door and turn the blower- which is inside the engine compartment on. That way when your not using it the door would be back on , thus solving any engine noise issue.

jshepp122
07-09-2012, 03:42 PM
I could do that, but with people in the boat . . . .

I just thought of something. The cupholders on my doghouse are covered with vinyl, but the holes are still there. What if I cut the vinyl, and installed a vent like what is on the stern and then made a duct going into the engine housing to allow hot air to escape?

Why not hook up a low ef. blower to the louver vents and run the blower

wiatowski
07-09-2012, 03:49 PM
yes it should do the same job.

just remember if you vent out if the lid there might be engine noise consequences.

If you really want to put one in I would vent it into the little compartment in the back of the dog house, so all you would have to do is take off the door and turn the blower- which is inside the engine compartment on. That way when your not using it the door would be back on , thus solving any engine noise issue.

there should be enough room inside to mount a blower to the top of the dog house .

csuggs
07-09-2012, 03:50 PM
Using what some of you have mentioned, what about something like this, with a squirrel-cage type blower mounted in the little storage compartment on the back side of the doghouse?

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac71/csuggs/57c7042e.jpg

wiatowski
07-09-2012, 03:54 PM
put the blower on the inside and hot air out. the existing vents will draw the cold air in.... plus it would be simpler.

Jetlink
07-09-2012, 03:55 PM
What about running some flex hose up the back of the dog house on the inside and route them to the back with another blower. It might suction the warm air from the top of the engine and dog house and draw fresh air in to replace the warm air.

csuggs
07-09-2012, 03:58 PM

I thought of that, but since all you can hear in the back seat is exhaust anyway I don't know if it would make any difference. I really hate to go messing with all of this, but it seems there should be a good way to get rid of the heat. The "engineers" back in the day should have made provisions . . .

csuggs
07-09-2012, 04:01 PM
Hmm. A lot to think about here. An exhaust hose at the top of doghouse would work to remove the heat, but it would have to utilize an additional blower because I still need to have the existing hose at the bottom for gas vapors. All this input is great!

csuggs
07-09-2012, 04:06 PM
You guys like this better?

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac71/csuggs/6f5d9663.jpg

wiatowski
07-09-2012, 04:12 PM
the cool part about your drawing.... no puns intended.... is that it's simple. in essence all you would have to hook up is the blower.... I'm just suggesting that it would be better to suck/push the air out rather than draw it in it will cool faster..... go with what you have just put the blower on the inside and it would be perfect.... or leave the blower there.... either way.

wiatowski
07-09-2012, 04:26 PM
You guys like this better?

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac71/csuggs/6f5d9663.jpg
perfect.... and I love the fact you put PCM on the side. :D

haugy
07-09-2012, 04:31 PM
I'm curious, why are you wanting to do this? It's 108 degrees down here, and I ran my engine at almost WOT for 30 minutes, it never overheated once.

While I will admit, that sucker was toasty when I stopped, but I just opened the doghouse in the shop and let it vent and cool down so as not to create a humid hot box in the boat. But is your engine not staying cool while running? If it isn't, you need to figure that out.

All of these boats are just like yours, and don't have any heating issues. So is this just personal preference? Or are you trying to prevent something from happening?

I guess I'm just trying to understand the logic of going through all this.

Salty87
07-09-2012, 04:32 PM
plan b has the hot engine air shooting into the passenger area. probably won't notice it too much might might smell a little engine-y.

are carb'd boats having a vapor lock problem?

Jetlink
07-09-2012, 05:01 PM
Haugy, I think Clint is trying to address the heat sink issue that stems from letting the engine sit after running and then trying to start it up again.

haugy
07-09-2012, 05:17 PM
Heat sink? Like Vapor lock? You're talking about the fuel boiling or evaporating out of the carb?

Gonna happen, you'd have to really keep that area cool to prevent that from happening. Is the carb running properly? Only a little fuel should evaporate out of the overflow while sitting.

wotan2525
07-09-2012, 05:26 PM
You guys need to spend more time on the water and less time inventing problems to solve. Has anyone with a carb'd engine actually had this problem??

wiatowski
07-09-2012, 06:49 PM
You guys need to spend more time on the water and less time inventing problems to solve. Has anyone with a carb'd engine actually had this problem??

I haven't... I agree with Haugy though, I open the dog house at the dock while packing everything up.... If Clint was/is going to do it, the best way to do it is to draw the air out.... and agree if vented there you would get engine fumes.... so probably not a good idea.

csuggs
07-09-2012, 10:39 PM
Haugy, Jetlink is correct. The carb is all good, the boat is running fantastic and it does not overheat while running. I can go all day and keep it real close to 160. And if I shut it down and restart after just a few minutes - no problem - i can merely bump the starter and it idles and purrs. When I'm shut down for 20-30 minutes or more, the gauge indicates 185-190 and I have some trouble getting fuel. If I give it a squirt or two with the throttle lever before I crank, it will start but doesn't want to idle. I then have to throttle- up until I see the gauge hit 160 and then bring it back to idle. After that, it runs great again. So I was just looking for a way to keep the motor cool while floating. It's really not a big deal and probably not worth the trouble.

Jetlink
07-10-2012, 02:18 AM
Nope, in 102 degree heat last week and 95 degree most of the weekend. Cranks beautifully ever time (except when ignition wire is loose).
I don't even have to pump throttle, just turn key. Jetlink is my witness.

You sure you had to turn it? I could have sworn that you just thought about bumping the ignition and the motor beat you to it... Haha, what a dream your boat is man! I have to look at upgrading my ignition I think.

cadunkle
07-10-2012, 09:19 AM
If you're having hot start problems first rebuild your carb, clean everthing meticulously. If it still does it you can try lowering float level a bit. If it still does it try a phenolic spacer. If you don't have room to add one you can have one cut to wedge shape to replace the metal wedge. It will keep your carb cooler.

csuggs
07-10-2012, 10:03 AM
If you're having hot start problems first rebuild your carb, clean everthing meticulously. If it still does it you can try lowering float level a bit. If it still does it try a phenolic spacer. If you don't have room to add one you can have one cut to wedge shape to replace the metal wedge. It will keep your carb cooler.

I just happen to have a phenolic spacer . . . . somewhere! Carb was rebuilt "meticulously" last summer by a retired "old school" drag racing friend of mine.

crystal waters
07-10-2012, 12:29 PM
just get some 1 x 1 boards about 18 inches long.
Lift the front of the doghouse and place them at a 45 degree angle flat at each front corner.
Props open the doghouse 1 inch while sitting still and allows for venting and cooling.
works like a charm
If you want a great effect use a 2 x 2 board for example.
When not in use store them in the ski locker

Supra-in-steamboat
07-10-2012, 02:12 PM
I just installed a blower on the dog house roof last friday. Wierd to read the thread today. I will toss up pics when i can, but basically drilled thru the back of the dog house cabinet and inserted the blower in the hole. I also drilled out two of the cup holders on that side for some increased direct flow. Worked great. Good points in the thread in regards to the fuel vapor. The lower blower is key. It is nice to not have to put my Reefs under the doghouse lid for ventilation of heat anymore.

csuggs
07-17-2012, 10:15 PM
Made a few modifications this afternoon to maybe help keep the carburetor cool. I bought a phenolic spacer plate last year but never installed it because it did not have a vacuum port for the pcv valve. So finally I tackled that job. I drilled and tapped the phenolic spacer to 1/8" npt and installed a 1/8" brass toe nipple using some thread sealer. Then I used a die grinder with a straight knurled bit to grind away the runners underneath to similate the vacuum channels on the original cast spacer. Note: a standard carb gasket does not work between the spacer plate and manifold on the 351. You have to use the PCM gasket. Also I installed a thermo-sleeve over the fuel line to insulate it from the surrounding heat.

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac71/csuggs/938cbe29.jpg

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac71/csuggs/21a6f304.jpg

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac71/csuggs/fed0e910.jpg

cadunkle
07-17-2012, 10:43 PM
Looks good, let us know how it works!

Blackntan90
07-18-2012, 07:03 PM
I place an 8" section of 2"PVC pipe against the waterpump pulley, props the 'house open when hanging out in the no-wake zone- and I put it in place while the boat is in storage to keep the air flowin' I think I see some dirt on one of those bolts...maybe its dirt on my screen!

jet
07-19-2012, 11:12 AM
csuggs dont vent into the passenger area..you will regret it. Musty HOT air smelling like gas or oil (I know your engine is clean) blowing into the sitting area, dont do it. you might want to park and sit right then. Now your secondary blower fan at the bottom of the engine already does this job for vapors and heat?? Now Im trying to remember what my 2nd blower does?? Anybody?? My boat has 2-blowers. Now. I know it sits low beside the engine but running a flex hose up the back of the eng or doghouse IS a good idea that way you can get it up high and let it run for 10 mins after riding around and suckout all of that steamy hot air. Thats the same steamy hot air you to let out after leaving the ramp during clean up. I open mine for 10-15 mins each time Im cleaning at the ramp that way it cools off and it wont RUST my engine. IF YOU WANT A CLEAN LOOKING ENGINE WITH NO SURFACE RUST you must do this each time you leave the water.

jet
07-19-2012, 11:25 AM
I forgot to mention my COOOL-CAN. In highschool I would coool the fuel down to my hot rods (70' GTO Judge and 80' Nissan P/U with 400 small block-sleeper) for a lil xtra hp. It gave me more hp but the best thing about was that no matter how much you drive it, it doesnt get sluggish from being HOT. The trottle stays SNAPPY and quick!! No lag or bog because its hot. This cool-can works great for 3-blade boats or if your running a lot of ballast. You can REALLY feel the difference. You can make one of of:

thermos of some kind
15' of copper gas line
car valve stem (take out stem) to release the water after your done
1-hr and your done
mount close to the fuel pump

csuggs
07-19-2012, 11:50 PM
Jet, we've been playing with the fuel cooling at the track (1/8 mile drags) and it works really well but we just circulate the gas through a heat exchanger that is in a cooler, using a 12v pump. Do this while in the pits and then disconnect when headed to the staging lanes. We go back to Owingsville, KY next Saturday to continue the points race.
'65 Mustang
900hp supercharged SBF
Bet time 5.72 @ 124

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac71/csuggs/4f9708d2.jpg

jet
07-20-2012, 11:56 AM
NICE track car. Yep, same thing. lol. It works so well that the front bowl has frost on it on a 100 degree day under the dowg house.

TitanTn
07-20-2012, 10:59 PM
Clint - let us know how this works. I have the same issue, and my carb was just rebuilt this winter.

csuggs
07-22-2012, 08:03 AM
Clint - let us know how this works. I have the same issue, and my carb was just rebuilt this winter.

After day 1 at Summersville Lake yesterday the modification effort sure didn't hurt anything. But I'm not sure how much it helped because yesterday was a relatively cool day. However, we had several times when the engine was up to temp and then we shut down to swim . . . No fuss, no muss.
Going out again today with warmer temps so we'll see how it goes!

mapleleaf
07-22-2012, 09:40 PM
i'll be honest, I love this thread, i skimmed a bit of it but love it none the less.... Clint is it possible that you need some kinda project on that restored beauty of yours?? A make work project if you will? i found myself out on the boat to work a few times this spring after the kids were in bed and couldn't figure what to do, still spent 3 hrs out there anyway!!!
Take some pics of your final solution, sounds like a "cool" plan!

csuggs
07-23-2012, 04:19 PM
Ha! Thanks Leaf! Sometimes I over-think things and should just leave them alone! Anyway, I ran for two days over the weekend with the new phenolic carb plate and gas line insulator. Started pretty good every time regardless of how long we sat around . . . . I think I'll just leave it alone - for now! :wink:

TitanTn
12-05-2012, 10:55 PM
I added my fuel line insulator tape tonight. I'm hopeful this will help with the heat soak.

http://unumemarketing.com/boat/fuel_wrap.jpg

suprasam
12-06-2012, 10:49 AM
Titan.....um do you have those pesky squirrels bothering you while you work on your boat? Do you need protection walking to your garage?

TitanTn
12-06-2012, 11:07 AM
Titan.....um do you have those pesky squirrels bothering you while you work on your boat? Do you need protection walking to your garage?

LOL. No, I don't need protection. That is an old BB gun from my youth and I just recently started letting the kids shoot it. They love it. My son had just left it on my workbench after he last used it, and I am waiting until I remember to lecture him on putting things where they belong.

jasun
12-06-2012, 01:24 PM
To tie into "what do you do for a living"...
Im thinking about mounting one of these on the dog house:
http://www.dometic.com/FileOrganizer/productimages/marine/workboat/rooftop_ac.jpg