PDA

View Full Version : Cavitation or trans slipping

Sweaver
07-09-2012, 08:49 PM
Here's the scoop. The other night, Saturday to be specific, I was headed back to dock screwing around and when I made a right hand turn the boat made a funny sound like revving up without power. Lake was pretty smooth and this is the first time I heard this or felt it. The boat is an 88' Comp with 13x13 nibral prop. The trans was rebuilt last year and the fluid still looks and smells good. So I'm wondering if I am catching a problem, or worrying about nothing. Thanks guys.

Sweaver

jshepp122
07-10-2012, 01:41 PM
Check the trans fluid and make sure its not low, I was told by my mechanic when you turn the fluid goes to the opposite side of the trans and itsnt lubing the drive shaft, I checked my fluid and I was a little low and added trans fluid and the problem stopped. To check the fluid he said run the engine till its hot and immediately check it. If that does not fix the problem they said the drive shaft is off balance and possibly the seal is worn. I had the same problem as you luckily just adding trans fluid worked. Mine only happened on right hand turns as well. Hope this helps.

sydneyACE
07-11-2012, 12:47 PM
My Trans is leaking.
I have to add some fluid once in a while to keep-it good.

When it gets low, it slips sometimes. The engine will rev-up but the boat won't move. However, it will suddenly engage sometimes if the engine is revved. When it does this it makes a very noticable sound accompanied by a shudder.
Make sure the fluid is all the way full, check it after the fluid is hot with the engine running.

I would say you might have cavitated if your trannie is full, and you didn't hear the sound or feel the shudder as the trannie re-engaged.

Sweaver
07-11-2012, 08:03 PM
Thanks guys. I am leaning toward cavitation as the trans fluid is full and pink. First time experiencing this and I would rather be safe than really pissed off.

Thanks again

Sweaver

DAFF
07-11-2012, 10:36 PM
The most stress imposed on the drive line is during a firm hole shot. If you experience no slippage here then I would be more than confident it was cavitation.

Sweaver
07-12-2012, 09:59 PM
Outstanding. I feel even better about it.

Sweaver