PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Supra Launch 21 V Packing nut temp

Adelaide3
07-11-2012, 05:56 PM
I just repacked the packing nut on my 2005 Supra launch 21V. I used three bands of 3/16" packing. (of course took out the old packing) It went great. I adjusted it at the lake and get a few drips per minute. A few more in reverse but no big deal. We wet out for a few hours and it ran great.

On my next trip to the lake I put the boat in the water and as paranoid as I am I checked the nut, and it was dripping a again few drips per minute. Perfect. We have about a 10-15 minute boat ride to our camp site so we headed up at about 35-45MPH for about 15-20 minutes. Good long constant ride. I decided to check the packing nut when we got to our camp site and it looked fine but I put my hand on the packing nut and the prpeller shaft and it was pretty hot to the touch. I thought the water should be cooling this?? Is this normal? I decided to back of the nut another half turn and got the drip up to about 5-6 per minute. Am I paranoid? Am I missing something? Whats the normal temp of this packing nut and shaft around this area? Is there anything I should check?

Thanks

DAFF
07-11-2012, 10:58 PM
The packing nut might of been a tad tight on the first install. I think all should be fine now with the drip rate metioned above. WRT heat I would assume some temp increase but I would just keep an eye on it watching for the drip rate to increase. If it does then the orignial packing got damaged with the heat. Just repack and start fresh if it does.

Adelaide3
07-12-2012, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the feedback! I agree. I will keep an eye on it. It certainly was hot on the first long run, but not boiling. Just very warm to the touch. After the adjustment the temp definilty came down. Still warm though after a long high RMP run. I was just wondering if anyone had actually gone down there and felt it after a long run so I could compare.

Blackntan90
07-14-2012, 06:27 PM
I will def check this the next time I go out!