PDA

View Full Version : Brainstorming a ballast "panel"

wotan2525
07-12-2012, 02:36 PM
My ballast system right now is all very old school. Pumps are hardwired on switches that are found under the rear bench seat, but they still have to be tossed overboard and there are always cords, hoses and bags going in every direction. Plus -- it's impossible to fill up while moving.

I bought about 75% of the parts that I needed to do an install a couple of years ago. About the time that I got really into surfing and then realized that I would never be able to engineer a "turn-key" surfing setup. All the time/expense required for me to install 1 bag in the front and 1 in the rear that wouldn't be that helpful for surfing was not able to be justified.

Recently, I've been slowly planning out a couple of ballast "panels." I thought I would lay it out here and then ask for the boards input and ideas.

The main plan is to recess some quick-disconnect ports in some fiberglass panels set either into the rear bench seat base or into the side (probably below my rear speaker.)

An idea for the recessed panel -- this company SSI makes panels like this in many different sizes:
http://i.imgur.com/bC0ft.jpg

Within that panel would be some quick disconnects. The largest I have been able to find are 3/4" and they are designed with internal valves and panel mounts.
http://i.imgur.com/8ydZl.jpg

And then add some nice flush-mount waterproof switches. (Each panel would have 1 "fill" port and 1 "drain" port.)
http://i.imgur.com/xJhGt.jpg

Behind the scenes, the "fill" ports would be fed by a through-hull scupper. The "drain" ports would empty out some thru-hull bilge ports. Each "panel" would be filled by 1 Tsunami 1200 and emptied by 1 Tsunuami 1200. These are cheaper and faster than the reversible ballast-puppy type pumps. Since the hoses would be disconnected once the bags are full anyway, who really cares if they are not reversible. Each bag would still only need 1 line to do dual duty as fill and drain.

Is this making sense or have I just confused everyone? :)

Okie Boarder
07-12-2012, 05:26 PM
I'm kind of liking where you're headed. Would this only be for quick connecting surf bags?

wotan2525
07-12-2012, 05:53 PM
You got it. Connect the bags, hit the button, fill them while driving out to our surf spot. Disconnect the line once full. Surf. Install the line (this time into the "drain" side of the panel). Suck the bag dry. Store everything away.

sybrmike
07-12-2012, 10:13 PM
A very unique solution - Mikey likey. I'm running two reversible pumps with dedicated fill, vent, and valve for each of the 5 hidden sacs. However, I did run one "auxillary" line for an optional surf sac. I teed into the line for the bow pump and attached a fill line ~8' long with a valve and fat sac twist lock on the end. I keep the hose coiled up under the observer's seat. This way the surf sac can be put wherever, pull out the hose, connect, open valve, & hit the bow ballast switch. Worked like a charm first time I used it last weekend & sac and hose store neatly. Your's looks to be similar in function, so I say go for it...

So, are you planning on two fill and two drain pumps - one pair for each sac? Will the Tsunami suck water from the same bag fitting that it fills?

wotan2525
07-13-2012, 12:04 AM
You are exactly right. 2 pumps per bag. And yes, the tsunami pumps suck out the top of the bag without any sort of problem. The only thing you usally have to do is burp the bag once when it is almost full just to purge the air out of the top of it.