PDA

View Full Version : New Owner

dirtdiver8282
07-12-2012, 09:10 PM
I am a happy owner of a 91 supra the decals say impulse? Runs great too. I was wondering what things I need to keep a eye on. The oil and filter were changed I watched it being done. One speedometer doesnt work guy said it might be the tubing on the back of the boat. We ran it today 35 mph 4000 rpm, is there a rpm range I shouldnt go into i dont know what WOT is and I don't want to try it. Trans oil is clean and full? On the forum i don't see this type of boat listed is mine called something else besides a supra? I look forward to hearing from folks and I will share what I learn too.

David
Army Retired

haugy
07-12-2012, 10:23 PM
David, welcome to the board. Congrats on joining the Supra clan. A quick question on your boat. Is it open bow or closed bow? The reason I ask, is so we can help identify the actual model of your boat. The word "impulse" is more like a trim package, like saying Limited or King Ranch on a truck. It's still and F-150, but with the limited trim.

And do you know what length it is? If it's 19ft long, it will be a Comp Ts6m (closed bow) or Conbrio (open bow). If it's almost 21ft long, it will be a Mariah (open bow) or Bravura (closed bow). Confused yet? :D

Knowing this will help us in the future if you have any parts, interior, driveline, etc questions.

Wide open throttle on you boat should be around 4400-4600 rpm depending on what prop you have. Unless you know that engine is in tip-top shape, I wouldn't run it WOT for more than 10 minutes at a time.

Not sure about your question on the trans oli (clean and full).....

Your boat is a Supra (make) _________ (model) with the Impulse package. It will have a certain look that most Supras don't have.

You will learn tons here, lots of us have had our Supras or been in Supras for years.

And thank you for your service.

haugy
07-12-2012, 10:28 PM
This is a Supra Comp with the Impulse package.

http://images.craigslist.org/5G45T15M83E53Lc3H3c6gaab4754078681147.jpg

This is a Supra Conbrio with the Esprit package (same as the Impulse just different package)

http://www.iboats.com/my_iboats/images/photos/73010_l.jpg

sydneyACE
07-13-2012, 12:39 AM
Welcome to the board! Post pics imediately! :)

What part of the country are you in?
I keep crossing my fingers hoping to find a fellow Supra guy from Montana.

sydneyACE
07-13-2012, 12:44 AM
Oh, and things to keep an eye on...

#1 Impeller (carry a spare and know how to change it/have the tools to change it on the lake).
These things go-out from time to time and it sucks towing your boat all the way to the lake just to have it break-down on you. If you have a spare, you can change it on the water and be back in action in 30min or so.

#2 Make sure your bilge-pump works well!
If you happen to spring a leak on something, it could save your ass.

#3 Dont forget the drain plugs (both of them)!

That's just a couple major things I can think of right off the bat. I'm sure others will chime-in with good advice.

Welcome again!

dirtdiver8282
07-13-2012, 07:53 AM
Thanks for the start yes the boat on the title says 19'6. I only have one drain plug in the very bottom back on the boat that I was shown by the previous owner. Bilge
pumps work I use them on the water and when i pull the boat out of the water. I plan on doing a tune up here soon, not needed but i want a start point. Left
MPH gauge isnt working I read some threads last night on this. But sounds like this is something that could be broken ea Isy trying to clean out the tube? Is this
right? I am in OHio.

Thanks for the start

David

haugy
07-13-2012, 08:54 AM
Your boat has two drain plugs. One at the stern, and then one right under the pulleys at the front of the engine. Lift up the engine hatch (doghouse) look straight down the pulleys. There should be a plug under there. If all else fails, crawl under the boat. It's probably a good idea to do this to make sure there are no holes, gouges, bangs, and that the strut, fins, and rudder are all solid and straight.

Your speedo is run off the pitot tubes in the back of the boat. Water pressure hits the pickup (little arms hanging down at the back of the boat) and goes up the tubes. Many times the pickup at the little arm will get debris in it and jam. Take a paper clip and make sure it's clear. Next check the tubes to make sure they aren't blocked. And honestly, I haven't used an honest speedo in years. I run off my Tach and know my speed then.

If it's 19'6" you have a Conbrio (open bow) or Comp (closed bow). I'm going to share you a website we all use and love. They normally have every engine, tranny, electrical, cooling part you could possibly need for your boat. Just tell them it's a Supra Comp and they'll know.

www.skidim.com So you don't think I'm blowing smoke, you can go into the repair section of this site and get discount codes on parts for this site. They haven't failed me yet, and they have tons of great information.

Your boat is probably running the 351w. Like Travis mentioned, a spare impeller (and tools to change it), a spare drain plug, and a good bilge pump are things you want to make sure you have before you go out. You can fix anything on that boat, as long is it hasn't sunk. :D

You do know you're going to have to post pictures of your boat soon, right? We love seeing all the Supras out there.

gogger
07-13-2012, 10:42 AM
Where in Ohio? Where are you going to be taking it out?

dirtdiver8282
07-13-2012, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the information i will check the plug at the pulley. I know about the plug at the bottom can these plugs be bought somewhere to keep spares? Sounds like I can leave the tube connected and then run the wire up from the bottom right?.And Gogger i live in Springfield and for now run the boat at the clarence brown reservoir.

David

Ptownkid
07-13-2012, 04:47 PM
Afaik, the impulse was simply the last comps they made before they made the switch to composite stringers.

dirtdiver8282
07-15-2012, 01:04 PM
I was talking to a friend he said he thought 91 was the first year that supra went to composite stringers? How i can look at my 91 to see what type of stringer I have? I don't
want any problems with rotten out stringers from what I can see on the forum.

Ptownkid
07-15-2012, 10:00 PM
I am basically positive that your boat does not have composite stringers.....spirit(sunsport), esprit (conbrio), and Impulse (comp) were bare bones models that they made right before going fully composite. The first fully composite boats were 1992's.

Do a search on this site, you should turn up some more info.

Cheers

haugy
07-16-2012, 09:09 AM
I was talking to a friend he said he thought 91 was the first year that supra went to composite stringers? How i can look at my 91 to see what type of stringer I have? I don't
want any problems with rotten out stringers from what I can see on the forum.

Wood. Sorry, I know you were hoping for composite, but yours are wood. That is, as long as it matches those pictures above. If it has a rounded windshield then you have composites.