PDA

View Full Version : 90 Conbrio Exhaust Water Leak

HtxConbrio
07-13-2012, 03:43 PM
Does anyone see a problem cutting an access hole underneath the port and starboard back seats to gain access to the exhaust pipes? The only reason I am even thinking about it is that the storage in this area is pointless to begin with. Mine will barely hold a wakebord rope coiled up.

jshepp122
07-17-2012, 10:49 AM
Does anyone see a problem cutting an access hole underneath the port and starboard back seats to gain access to the exhaust pipes? The only reason I am even thinking about it is that the storage in this area is pointless to begin with. Mine will barely hold a wakebord rope coiled up.

Theres not really a problem with doing that but its pointless if the purpose is to be able to remove or maintain them, to remove them there is a hose clamp in the back so you would still have to remove the gas tank and back seat to reach it, at least on mine you do. You would also weaken the floor structure and the bench wouldnt be as stable as it was with everything being on the stringers.

HtxConbrio
07-17-2012, 08:01 PM
I have removed the back seat in order to access the rudder and replace the packing. Is it possible to access the back side of the exhaust without removing the gas tank? That is why I was thinking of cutting the access panel.

jshepp122
07-18-2012, 09:28 AM
I have removed the back seat in order to access the rudder and replace the packing. Is it possible to access the back side of the exhaust without removing the gas tank? That is why I was thinking of cutting the access panel.

no, you have to remove the tank to get to the back of it. the front you might be able to reach, on mine you have about a inch or 2 between the floor and gas tank opening but getting to the back bracket you must remove the tank, it sits a few inches at most from the transom

wotan2525
07-18-2012, 11:06 AM
I'd remove the outside of the exhaust first. I've never heard of one being hose-clamped from the inside. The supertrapps on my boat are just press fit together from the outside.

92SupraComp
07-18-2012, 05:16 PM
I'd remove the outside of the exhaust first. I've never heard of one being hose-clamped from the inside. The supertrapps on my boat are just press fit together from the outside.

what do you mean by supertapps?? also. on our boat there is a 3.5" piece of non-wire exhaust tubing connecting the flange to the stainless. there are double clamps on each end on both sides. pics???

jshepp122
07-18-2012, 09:57 PM
My mufflers on the inside of the transom are rubber and hose clamped on both ends transom end and after the pipe comes out of the floor. comp when you take out the middle access do you see mufflers on the left and right side under the gas tank? or are you talking about the pipe in the floor that runs with the stringers? I'll try and get some pics tomorrow, this pic doesnt show much but where the blower is and where you see a black line under the gas tank are (what I have on mine) mufflers.

92SupraComp
07-18-2012, 10:47 PM
no we do not have mufflers. i have the tank out right now in my boat. will get pics tomorrow. but that back piece is way different than a comp. dont have that large silly hanging down lip. we actually just made a wooden wall for ours a few weeks ago so we can remove the back seat for skiing like our friends Stars&Strips. oh and we just have 3.5" tubing. no cherry bomb mufflers. it goes from each manifold into the large and now hollow "muffler" and down into the 2 3.5" stainless tubes and then into 3.5" tubing (one on each side) and then out the back.

92SupraComp
07-19-2012, 11:07 PM

92SupraComp
07-19-2012, 11:11 PM

jshepp122
07-20-2012, 12:00 PM
ok so you do have the hose clamps just no mufflers by the transom, good thing for pics

matt k
07-20-2012, 08:14 PM
did all supras come with that transverse muffler arrangement?

92SupraComp
07-20-2012, 10:54 PM
did all supras come with that transverse muffler arrangement?

No. Only a few years did. Also we have the original 4010 "fishbowl" Carb still on the engine which it was part of the HO Pro-Boss ProTec Ignition package for a short time period in PCM manufacturing. But as I said in my forum(Ski Pylon bracket removal). The 1st owner (previous owner) overheated the exhaust extremely bad. Cooking most of the resin out of the fiberglass that made up the baffle. Also the two exit ports were leaking for a long time. We just repaired it a few weeks a go and in May i pulled all of the chunks that remained of the broken down baffle. Boy WHAT A MISTAKE!!! my arms itched for the next two days!!! But this boat can be heard over 2 miles away!! it has its own unique sound thanks to the large hollow "muffler".