PDA

View Full Version : Rudder seized up

adoetsch
07-14-2012, 02:15 AM
I have been looking for information to my problem for hours now but cant find anything. I have a Supra Comp 98. The steering always worked well for me but now the rudder wont turn left or right at all. The steering wheel turns a little to the left and a little to the right but thats it and its very hard to turn.

I have no knowledge on how to fix this issue. I dont know even where to start. Im trying to learn the concept of how the steering even works with the helm and the cable. I did unscrew the big nut on the black steering cable right before it connects to the rudder. I could then turn the steering wheel easily and I would see this rod move in and out of the the rudder tube?? I dont know the correct terminology, I apologize. Im worried this is a big problem because the rudder wont move at all. Is this possible to fix without buying new parts or am i going to need new parts?

I feel behind but im desperately trying to get this boat ready for whats left of the summer because getting this boat in the water will mean the world to my daughter. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

bens250ex
07-14-2012, 03:27 PM
Sounds like the rudder shaft might be bent. You are prob going to need a new rudder. It's very simple design, take the rudder arm off and try to drop the rudder and see what's going on. Skidim.com sell the whole rudder assembly for about 400.

adoetsch
07-14-2012, 05:47 PM
I havent taken the boat out since 2 years ago and the steering was fine the last time I was on the water. I do not know how the rudder could have bent. Do you think there is something wrong with the rudder mechanism and not the steering cable and helm?

Blackntan90
07-14-2012, 06:05 PM
If the wheel turns easily with the rudder dis-connected, then the problem lies with the rudder itself. If it was OK the last time you had it out, I would try to 'loosen' it with some penetrating oil(seafoam or such) and see if you can free up the rudder(with the cable dis-connected). Maybe by hand from underneath the boat? I would def want to remove the rudder and check it before hitting the water wiith my family.

bens250ex
07-14-2012, 06:30 PM
See if it has a Grease zerk pump it full. There should be a oring and 2 bushing seals inside the assembly but u will have to drop the rudder to change them. If it was me I would pull the rudder and change all of the about then pump in some new grease. Not a hard job at all

wotan2525
07-15-2012, 12:18 PM
Confused as to where you disconnected the cable -- disconnect it at the rudder and see if you can turn the wheel. Very uncommon to have the rudder seize up -- much more common to have the cable seize. Try to figure out which one is causing the problem.