PDA

View Full Version : Pulling gas tank in '88 Supra Mariah, anything besides two main clamps?

hotgrips
07-16-2012, 02:04 AM
I want to replace my original bilge blower hoses since some tears in the vinyl are evident, and several are trapped under the fuel tank so I need to pull the tank. I've removed the two aluminum top straps, the bilge hose blowers and hose out of the way, gas vent tube off, all wires disconnected and out of harms way, only the fuel filler hose is left and is so rigid from age I wonder if there is a trick to removing it, or should I just cut it off and replace it? Also, I've pulled up on the fuel tank for all I'm worth and it seems to be stuck with age to the rubber pad mounts or there are some other mounts I don't know about. Should I just use a come-a-long and lift the Left-Rear corner from overhead, or is there something else? I've tried a pry bar without success. I have removed the carpeted wood inserts between the two rear seats and so I could put a jack in there on a wood board and try and lift it a couple of inches there, or is the fiberglass bottom too weak to take that kind of force?

The tank is empty of fuel.

On another topic, what is that large white water pipe that runs from the engine to the very rear beside the prop shaft? Is it somehow tied into the blower system to pull any potentially explosive fuel fumes from the engine compartment before starting? I twisted it a little and heard a silicone seal snapping kind of sound. I was checking to see if it unscrewed since it was swung out of the way to enable replacement of the fuel line padded hose clamps holding them to the fiberglas.

Thanks for any suggestions.

'88 Supra Mariah

86 century
07-16-2012, 03:57 AM
I had to unbolt the fuel cap thing and pull it and hose together.

Mine was stuck to the floor pretty good by the foam strips. I laid a 2x6 across the trailer guide polls and ran a ratchet strap under the tank to get it loose.

Then the real fun begins the tank will not fit through the ski locker door flat. The only problem is there isn't enough room to turn it up on edge down in the well.

hotgrips
07-16-2012, 09:26 AM
When you mention the "real fun begins"... can you comment on the best way to deal with that fit problem? Is it just a matter of several people at once manipulating the tank during removal attempts to sneak it out of the opening in the fiberglas?

Jim

I had to unbolt the fuel cap thing and pull it and hose together.

Mine was stuck to the floor pretty good by the foam strips. I laid a 2x6 across the trailer guide polls and ran a ratchet strap under the tank to get it loose.

Then the real fun begins the tank will not fit through the ski locker door flat. The only problem is there isn't enough room to turn it up on edge down in the well.

sybrmike
07-16-2012, 09:28 AM
Yup, should just be the two straps over the top. Mine was stuck pretty good (PO was sloppy with resin back there when overlaying new-over-old floor. Don't know about the Mariah specifically, but the tank slides out forward towards the bow on the early Sunsports and Saltares (with the rear seats removed) before you can lift it up.

Yes, the pvc pipe you mentioned is tied to one of the blowers mounted on the transom with the intent of drawing out air from close to the engine.

jshepp122
07-16-2012, 09:29 AM
I used a pry bar to pry mine off the foam, then had to slide it out 1/2 way and then tip it upward so its on its back and it came right out. As for the blower mine is PVC.

92SupraComp
07-16-2012, 10:00 AM
wow. i just undid the two straps and then removed the two straps and undid the fuel filler hose and mine just slide right out. I did it last week. Its still out. but I guess there are some large differences between the years...

86 century
07-16-2012, 03:31 PM
There is a fiberglass hump mounted to the transom that will not let the tank stand on end.
It hast to come out only problem is three of the screws on mine where behind the tank.

I ended up cutting the screws with a dremel then had to fight to get them out.
I have some pics of the thing but they will not load I'm at our lake place and verizon has missed updating the cell towers in this area.

The cap comes down to the floor be hind the back seats in the mariah/bravura so it will not come out the front.