PDA

View Full Version : Carb rebuild or replace - 1986 Sunsport w/351

ckracing
07-16-2012, 03:51 PM
Should I rebuild or replace? Any performance advantages going to new?
I assume Holley... Recommendations?
Approximate estimate for each, assuming total rebuild.
Thank you - Chris

kvand347
07-16-2012, 04:07 PM
I bought my rebuild kit through Jegs and it was like $40. New carb is going to run you $500.

Pretty easy to rebuild yourself. Take your time and take lots of pictures so you don't get confused when putting things back together.

www.skidim.com

ckracing
07-16-2012, 04:36 PM
So - no performance advantages going with new?
It is a 4160 model - correct?
Thank you!

Ptownkid
07-16-2012, 05:14 PM
It's most likely a 4160, but only you can verify that.

haugy
07-16-2012, 09:34 PM
There are going to be both sides, those who say it's better to add a better carb, and those who say rebuild.

In my 3 Supras, I've never had to put a new Carb on any of them, except when I put one of those engines in my Jeep. Rebuild them, if done right, it will be all you need.

Now that's assuming the carb isn't corroded, covered in gunk, filled with garbage etc. If the exterior is corroded, there is a good chance the interior of the carb is too. That's when you know it's time to replace. If you're just having issues with it running right. Rebuild it. Save your money.

ckracing
07-16-2012, 11:22 PM
Thanks all! Ordered rebuild kit.
Lovin' my 'new' old Sunsport.
-Chris

92SupraComp
07-17-2012, 12:48 AM
best to ship it off to a professional to rebuild it. they can fix little quirks that they have. also if you ask they can make them perform better by changing power valves and the acc. pumps and jets etc.

if you want i can get you the info for my uncles shop. he specializes in rebuilding carbs of all sorts. he isnt expensive and knows what he is doing and is quick!

csuggs
07-17-2012, 08:42 AM
The only advantage I know of for replacing new is that the new carbs allow for float adjustments without removing the bowls - unlike mine. :mad:

cadunkle
07-17-2012, 10:22 AM
best to ship it off to a professional to rebuild it. they can fix little quirks that they have. also if you ask they can make them perform better by changing power valves and the acc. pumps and jets etc.

if you want i can get you the info for my uncles shop. he specializes in rebuilding carbs of all sorts. he isnt expensive and knows what he is doing and is quick!

Power valves, jets, accelerator pumps, discharge nozzles, pump cams, secondary springs, etc. are all easily changed... Anyone can do it and to properly tune it must be done on the boat and with testing. Anyone can ballpark it and that's all it is without testing and tuning.

crystal waters
07-17-2012, 11:36 AM
have 89 conbrio with 351 W and just over 800 hours. At the end of last season was having carb issues that indicated a carb kit was once more in order. Not being too mechanical I took it to my local boat shop that I trust as I am fussy!They recommended a new carb as mine was starting to show signs of wear beyond a simple carb kit repair. I ordered a 4160 Holley from Skidim to replace the original 4010 Holley that I was running. What a difference!!!!!!!! Motor runs like new! If it were me I would buck up and order a new 4160 from Skidim!

92SupraComp
07-17-2012, 01:15 PM
have 89 conbrio with 351 W and just over 800 hours. At the end of last season was having carb issues that indicated a carb kit was once more in order. Not being too mechanical I took it to my local boat shop that I trust as I am fussy!They recommended a new carb as mine was starting to show signs of wear beyond a simple carb kit repair. I ordered a 4160 Holley from Skidim to replace the original 4010 Holley that I was running. What a difference!!!!!!!! Motor runs like new! If it were me I would buck up and order a new 4160 from Skidim!

why didnt you order another 4010 from summit?? they have great acceleration and beat most carbs of same cfm. only prob is they can be picky.(will be great for a couple weeks and then not so great for a few weeks) we have the 4010 on ours and it still works great. my uncle rebuilt if a few years back and it was much better!

matt k
07-17-2012, 05:18 PM
people are funny about carbs. If you do most other maintenance on your boat, you can rebuild a carb. Just look up what you're doing, work in a clean area, take pictures, and be careful not to lose the small parts.

On the other hand, if you don't want to do it, there are TONS of places, both local and online, that can handle it. It takes a lot of wear or neglect to make a carb un-rebuildable.

cadunkle
07-17-2012, 09:46 PM
If you get a new carb I'd recommend a 4150... Much more tunable on the secondary side and not a huge price incrase compared to cost of carb... Look at a 650 CFM 4150 if you go that route.

Sunapee Sunsport
07-18-2012, 01:49 PM
Not sure where you are located but I had mine rebuilt by a local shop here in NH cost $110 including the kit. Hobb's Carberator Shop Pelham NH. I am sure you could ship in. My carb looked like crap when I dropped off he soaked then glass beaded . It came back as good as new.

crystal waters
07-18-2012, 03:14 PM
As I stated I am not mechanically inclined althought I do understand the concepts behind the mechanical functions.
Skidim has been awesome for me in the past so I went with their recommendation once more. Couldn't be more pleased with the end results! I am certain there are other options and choices out there for those of you who are more mechanically gifted than I or who have the time to spend. Unfortunately I have neither gifts so rely on suppliers such as Skidim to guide me. Couldn't be more pleased!