PDA

View Full Version : Electronic ignition conversion

Crowther
07-17-2012, 05:55 PM
I have a 1987 Supra Ts6m with a 351 small block windsor. I want to switch to an electronic ignition. My question is do I need to buy a whole new distributor or just the 99.00 kit that replaces the parts under the cap. If anybody has the same engine, if you could give me a model # from skidim or where ever you got it from would be much appreciated Thx

Jetlink
07-17-2012, 06:31 PM
The internet, while great for many things has turned us into a generation that seems unwilling to pick up the phone and call someone. Sorry, this is not meant as an attack at you but you mention skidim, give them a call and talk to them over the phone, they can help you much better than most of us on the forum can and they can probably do it faster as well. I have called them with questions about parts and stuff for my comp and will continue to call them if I have a question.

Crowther
07-17-2012, 06:57 PM
I've called them twice with no response. Every time I call they never answer or return call, but I'll keep trying

OUI
07-17-2012, 06:58 PM
Crowther: Skidim will only tell you want they want you to hear, and to get you to buy their stuff. I think you've asked a valid question, and your looking for input from other members. First, you don't need a whole new distributor -- just the new breaker setup, and most likely a new coil -- one with an internal resistor, but go with the instructions of which ever manufacturer you choose. I've had success with Prestolite and Mallory I think they're all about the same -- so shop price. I've heard of another brand that is supposed to be the top of the line, race car stuff -- it's expensive and I can't remember their name -- I think it starts with a P, but I'm sure someone on this board can let you know.

One other thought, it's good maintenance to squirt a little WD-40 into the screen doors on the side of the distributor, sometimes they're located on the bottom. This helps to keep the mechanical advance lubed and working smoothly.

Hope this helps.

Crowther
07-17-2012, 07:16 PM
Thx OUI, that does help. It kind of sucks though, because I just bought a new MSD coil with a external resistor. Will it only work with a internal one?

Jetlink
07-17-2012, 08:34 PM
Not sure what the deal is. Every time that I have called, they have answered or gotten back to me within an hour or two. Also, I have only purchased a few things from them when I have called them, most often I order online if I know what I need and call if I have questions and then order there on the spot. I have even had a few lengthy discussions on how to trouble shoot an issue with my boat and they were happy to help and not in a rush to get me off the phone knowing full well that I was not going to be purchasing something at that moment.

I guess it is all a matter of opinion and experience, mine has been a pleasant one with the guys at Skidim to date.

OUI
07-18-2012, 11:31 AM
Crowther:

That depends on the manufacturer it may or may not work depending on the specs of the unit. If' you haven't used it maybe you can take it back if you need one with an internal resistor. Shop price either Mallory or Prestolite worked for me. The last one I did was a Prestolite and it needed an internal resister. Which ever one you go with you won't be disappointed with the results, electronic is the only way to go. Let me know if you have any more questions.

csuggs
07-18-2012, 11:50 AM
I just installed,a new Pertronix II ignition as well as the Flamethrower II coil, both from skidim. With this set-up I was able to remove the ballast resistor. So far so good!

Never ever had a problem getting Discount Inboard Marine on the phone, and either Vince or Richard has always been a great help. I even stopped by their shop once and met them all - great folks!

Blackntan90
07-18-2012, 06:50 PM
X2 For the Pertronix- love mine!

Crowther
07-18-2012, 09:05 PM
Thx everybody, that does help. I was asking because I just bought a new coil and resistor from JEGS and didn't want to buy another. Does anybody have one with a external resistor. I beginning to think their all internal

CornRickey
07-19-2012, 12:48 AM
I tried to keep the reisistor and matching coil when I switched over and it made for long starts due to to much resistance. Bought the right coild, ditches the resistor and perfect starts every time. If you have to much resistance the system won't trigger.

crystal waters
07-19-2012, 11:49 AM
Like Jetlink I have never had an issue with Skidim and have always gotten them on the phone on first call! Their advice has always been solid and parts were spot on! I have found the parts they carry and sell are tried and proven thus taking away your headaches down the road. That is the kind of service and knowledge I look for in a trusted supplier!

OUI
07-19-2012, 03:57 PM
Shop price before location. All parts are the same, all suppliers give advise, and not all prices are the same. Do your homework.

kreckley
08-05-2012, 10:20 PM
I just put electronic on my salt are 92 with 454 They are very similar I did all the home work you are doing.. Kept seeing call ski dim...did it BOTTOM LINE I bought mallory distributor and sumitt racing coil YOU DON'T NEED THE $550 TO $600 kit from ski dim That one is for the person who can't think. I spent $300 and got both parts and new marine wires ($62) figured out my wiring and it runs like a bat out of hell. The scuzzy plug right now is neatly taped to the side but will get removed at end of season I've seen your wiring diagram and it is very similar

kreckley
08-05-2012, 10:46 PM
Any reason to use internal resistor My external works fine