PDA

View Full Version : new prop

TitanTn
07-18-2012, 08:28 PM
Some of you know about my prop shaft slipping out of the transmission and my prop getting dinged up when it hit the rudder. Well, I was wanting a new prop, so this just gave me a little more motivation. Taking the advice of some people here, I called JT at Nettle Props. After finding out about my boat and my activities, he recommended a ACME 541, 13x12, 3-blade prop. JT assured me that I'd like or he'd find me one I would like. The prop that got damaged was the original prop.

I test drove it last night. Unreal. Unbelievable. If I had known it would make this kind of difference, I would have bought one a long time ago. My hole shot is significantly improved. The mid range ride is SO smooth. It's like butta. And I picked up 6 mph on the top end. I can now easily hit 44 mph. It is like a different boat.

I had a friend ride with me and he owns a 2008 Nautique V-drive. Something like a 20 or 21 footer. He said his top end is 41 mph, and my hole shot is much better. And he supposedly has a "performance" prop add-on from when he bought it new. He's now interested in seeing what he can do to improve his performance.

Love it. I'll be at the lake all next week and you won't be able to wipe the smile off my face.

Dandamanf15
07-18-2012, 08:48 PM
Sweet! I'll have to keep that in mind. Probably will get a new prop before next season and definitely sounds like he's the man to talk to. Did it seem to effect the wake shape or size at all?

Jetlink
07-19-2012, 01:15 AM
Pics!!! Or it didn't happen! Oh, nevermind, forgot I was there...:p Seriously though, how about some pics of that new prop? Is the old one able to be salvaged and kept as a spare?

TitanTn
07-19-2012, 07:41 AM
Sweet! I'll have to keep that in mind. Probably will get a new prop before next season and definitely sounds like he's the man to talk to. Did it seem to effect the wake shape or size at all?

I'm not really sure as we weren't geared for any kind of water sports, I forgot to check out the wake. I mainly kept doing quick starts and top end runs. I couldn't stop chuckling.

Pics!!! Or it didn't happen! Oh, nevermind, forgot I was there...:p Seriously though, how about some pics of that new prop? Is the old one able to be salvaged and kept as a spare?

Yeah, I should have got a pic of you hanging off my swim platform, trying to shove the propshaft back in the boat. Everyone else will just have to trust us on that one. But for the new prop, here's a pic before I installed it on the boat.

http://unumemarketing.com/boat/fun/new_prop.jpg

Kma4444
07-19-2012, 08:21 AM
When we put the 541 on our 86 Sunsport, it did everything Titan said AND made a big difference in our surf wake. It's been a while but the thread is here somewhere. We run around 2200 lbs and surf goofy. It does great!! The prop change really cleaned up the wake, knocked down the wash and eliminated 99% of the cavitation. I said it back in the old thread, I would recommend to anyone surfing one of these boats to start with this prop. Order it when you get your sacks!

sybrmike
07-19-2012, 09:50 AM
Congrats & glad you're happy with the 541 - that's what I put on my project Salt (thanks to JT, as well). Seems like a good match for the Salt, 454, 1:1. Still only have 4 trips on the water since the rebuild, but so far it pulls strong and smooth all the way to mid 40's. Even seemed to hold it's own last weekend when I loaded ~2500 lbs playing around with the surf wake - no problems pulling up and holding speed.

Jetlink
07-19-2012, 11:28 AM
Ugh, Rob, I like you and all, but right now I hate you!!! I'm really wanting a new prop for a better hole shot and maybe pick up a little top end and if this prop did that for you I guess I am looking to re-prop my boat. I just don't want to go spend the money on it at the moment so I guess I'll throw it on the wish list for christmas and see if Laura gets it...:D

Loadup
07-19-2012, 12:19 PM
After last weekend I may need to give JT a call, I had a request from my son to see his old man barefoot. Ben, I got video and will post for your varification. I could also use a little more hole shot for getting my arse up to slalom ski. Like you Ben this will be on Christmas wish list.

suprasam
07-19-2012, 12:40 PM
I am prob going to get hate mail for this, but I have no idea what prop I have or what the diamentions are on mine. I do know I wish I had more mid to top end on my boat, I think I am only running a little over 25mph around 3500 RPMs.

wotan2525
07-19-2012, 01:02 PM
I've also got a 541 although I had it pitched down.... Seems to do better now for surfing with a lot of ballast.

TitanTn
07-19-2012, 02:11 PM
Ugh, Rob, I like you and all, but right now I hate you!!! I'm really wanting a new prop for a better hole shot and maybe pick up a little top end and if this prop did that for you I guess I am looking to re-prop my boat. I just don't want to go spend the money on it at the moment so I guess I'll throw it on the wish list for christmas and see if Laura gets it...:D

Yeah, I feel hate-able. I'm not usually this lucky. Tell Laura to call me if she wants me to hook her up with JT!

After last weekend I may need to give JT a call, I had a request from my son to see his old man barefoot. Ben, I got video and will post for your varification. I could also use a little more hole shot for getting my arse up to slalom ski. Like you Ben this will be on Christmas wish list.

I heard you've been doing a lot of knee-boarding up Ware's Branch. The little blond guy, Joby, that was with us that weekend was out on the water with some other friends and saw your boat. Actually, someone else saw your boat and said, "that looks like Rob's boat, but it's blue." Joby told them "That's Mr. Bill." It took a few minutes before his parents' believed that he knew what he was talking about. I don't know if JT would still recommend the 541 because you have the 351, but I'm sure he would put you in something that would make a big difference. I'm a BIG believer.

I am prob going to get hate mail for this, but I have no idea what prop I have or what the diamentions are on mine. I do know I wish I had more mid to top end on my boat, I think I am only running a little over 25mph around 3500 RPMs.

We probably have different engines and transmissions, but at 25 mph, I'm turning about 2500 RPMS. Your's sounds high for that speed. If you don't have a modern day prop that is in good condition, you definitely should look into upgrading. I'm convinced that I'll see economy gains as well.

SquamInboards
07-19-2012, 02:57 PM
I've put new Acme props on more than half a dozen older boats now, that came from an original (or at least old, handmade) prop and every single owner has said what a crazy difference it has made. Better hole shot, smooth as silk, and most noticeable, better throttle response at speed. One guy got 2-3 more MPH at ~200 LOWER rpm than before. There's so much more surface area to a CNC prop and it's so much more precise and perfectly balanced... money well spent for sure.

For the record I have an Acme 1868 (12.5 x 14.25 RH 4 blade) on my 21' Bravura, with the 1.23:1 transmission and a GT-40 engine ~ 310 hp. I hit 4700 RPM WOT with just me in the boat, 41 mph. I could even go a little less pitch because I'm almost never in the boat alone, and I don't run WOT very much anyway. I tried a 422 (12.5 x 15.5 4 blade) which is standard equipment on Ski Nautique 196 and now the 200, and it was only turning about 4300. In between that and mine is the 654 (12.5 x 15 4 blade) I think, which is what I'd run if I had the original motor probably. That turned about 4500 (surprise, surprise). If I were looking for better top speed I'd run a 3 blade (advice from Acme).

cadunkle
07-29-2012, 06:46 PM
Well you're had a week and change... You ride behind it yet? Load it down at all? That's two guys here with 454 Saltares running this prop, I wouldn't mind a little more punch running a larger crew and some weight. Thinking ab out pulling the trigger on the 541 and throwing my factory 13"x13" in the spare bin.

TitanTn
07-29-2012, 07:24 PM
Well you're had a week and change... You ride behind it yet? Load it down at all? That's two guys here with 454 Saltares running this prop, I wouldn't mind a little more punch running a larger crew and some weight. Thinking ab out pulling the trigger on the 541 and throwing my factory 13"x13" in the spare bin.

Well, I don't usually load my down with bags, only people. I used the boat all week on vacation at Lake Jocassee. I had it loaded down with people (8 people) and almost couldn't tell a difference from when it was empty. The prop really cleaned the wake up. I really had to adjust my driving style because I now don't need full throttle when pulling anyone for any type of riding. I'd check with JT at Nettles just to be sure for exactly what you'd like to accomplish. I wanted something in-between low end and top end. Since I was coming from stock, I increased both. But if you're primarily concerned with low end, he might suggest something else.

jeffkaasmason
07-31-2012, 03:44 AM
I just got a new prop from JT as well. I won't have a comparison to make since I've only been out once so far on my boat the prop was badly damaged. The lake was very rough as well.

I told JT that I was going to eventually add some ballast so wanted something that would work well for wake boarding with some extra weight. I have no idea if it is the right one but it seems like he knows his stuff. Next week is cottage week so we'll find out then.

It's a 1792 13.5 x 14 and it is going on my 1992 Supra Sunsport 1.23:1 with the 351 Ford. I have a feeling it will be a big improvement over the old one. :)

TitanTn
07-31-2012, 07:27 AM
I think a paddle would have been an improvement over the old one! I'm sure you'll love the new prop. Be sure to let us know how it goes.

bmtsupra
07-31-2012, 07:36 AM
I think a paddle would have been an improvement over the old one! I'm sure you'll love the new prop. Be sure to let us know how it goes.

No doubt about that. Badly damaged is an understatment, lol. I joined the club and bought a new prop yesterday for the 1995. Ordered a ACME 913 (13X10.5) I don't think I'll have any issues loading the boat up with 2500lbs+ now. At around 1800lbs the transmission seemed like it was working to hard with 13X13 four blade that is currently on the boat. I was going to get the 543 (13X11.5) but after seeing the results 87SunSportMikeyD has been getting from his 10.5, it seemed like that was the prop to go with.

newtome
08-14-2012, 12:25 AM
Hi All - I purchased a 242 Worlds Edition this year (my first boat) and I'm very happy with the boat with the one exception, its top end is about 41 mph. now thats farely fast for us and certainly more than we need for the recreational stuff we do. If I've read the posts here correctly, if I changed out the factory prop would I see the same type performance many of you have advocated here? I apologize for the newbie question but I figured I would get an honest answer here vs the sales guy telling me yes...

kjkimball
08-14-2012, 06:54 AM
I have a 2011 242 and switched the prop to the OJ 5 blade. Best update I have made on the boat. Lot 3mph top speed but the hole shot hook up, time to plane when loaded, lower noise in the cabin, less vibration, lower rpm at rider speeds, lower fuel burn, etc. are all well worth the price of the prop.

Hi All - I purchased a 242 Worlds Edition this year (my first boat) and I'm very happy with the boat with the one exception, its top end is about 41 mph. now thats farely fast for us and certainly more than we need for the recreational stuff we do. If I've read the posts here correctly, if I changed out the factory prop would I see the same type performance many of you have advocated here? I apologize for the newbie question but I figured I would get an honest answer here vs the sales guy telling me yes...