PDA

View Full Version : What anchors are you guys using?

Dandamanf15
07-18-2012, 08:46 PM
I was just curious what type of anchors you all had found to work the best. This one came with my supra

http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj609/Dandamanf15/IMAG1213.jpg

but I haven't tried to use it yet. I had a similar one on my old boat and it didn't seem to work at all really. Planning on sleeping out on the lake some night in the fairly near future and don't really want to wake up running into the dam!

tg0824SSVGG
07-18-2012, 09:28 PM
Used to use an anchor like that (danforth I think) -- hated it - still have it as a backup.

Now I use a box anchor (http://www.slideanchor.com/Hlm_ShopIT_ProductDetails.aspx?ID=024a8189-c4ba-41dc-9a41-c5e749bb8688) and I love, love, love it - will not go back. Attached to this is an "anchor buddy" - stretch line - and a regular
rope (just in case something happens to the bungee).

http://www.slideanchor.com/ShopITHandler.ashx?ID=024a8189-c4ba-41dc-9a41-c5e749bb8688&Height=310&Width=350&Type=Home

I bought one size bigger than suggested, and you don't need stainless unless salt water. Folds flat and holds GREAT!

Todd

bludogone
07-18-2012, 09:33 PM
2nd the box anchor.

Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk 2

haugy
07-19-2012, 08:55 AM
Dead hookers.

michael hunter
07-19-2012, 09:24 AM
It depends a lot on what kind of bottom you have. I use a danforth anchor I got at bass pro for under $15.00 . I carry two with two 6' 5/16 chains . The key to anchoring is to let out enough rope[rode] 4-6 times the depth for calm water 10 times or more in heavy seas. I have never read anything bad about the box anchor I just cant justify the cost for as much as we anchor. I just got a anchor buddy it works great .

suprasam
07-19-2012, 09:44 AM
The box anchor is a great anchor, but its a good bit of money. The danforth, I personally dont like.....they work ok but you have to make sure they grab the bottom or all your doing is dragging a flat piece of metal. I have over kill, I have two 15lb mushrooms in back, and one 10lb in bow. I rarely ever drift, if your anchoring at night, my suggestion would be to tie a long rope to tree, then anchor boat away from shore. I have seen it many times, boat drift and then you found out your in the middle of the lake an that can cause a HUGE accident when a bass boat is hauling ass at 4:00 am.

cadunkle
07-19-2012, 09:53 AM
I use a danforth that came with my Saltare. Never had it release on me. Typically I can just drop it and let out a fair amount more until the angle of the rope looks good (you want a shallow angle, not steep), and a tug to be sure it's set. If I'm worried or in a tight spot I'll reverse to set. I anchor in sandy/muddy bottoms though, anything else and a danforth won't work well. At the lake the shoreline is rocky with large boulders around many parts, I just anchor far enough out that I hook in sand... danforths won't work well on rocks and boulders and if you get it to hold you may not be getting your anchor back.

Anyhow, if you're having a problem with that anchor holding, try letting out more line. If you only have one though, it's generally a good idea to have two anchors in case you want to keep your boat positioned a certain way or from swinging too far.

kvand347
07-19-2012, 10:46 AM
Dead hookers.

Hahahahahahaha! :o

wotan2525
07-19-2012, 01:06 PM
I use a danforth. 8x the depth is the rule on the amount of line and you need 6-10ft of chain or they won't work. My river is all sand and it always holds us.

A few years ago we went up to the Red Bull Flugtag on the Mississippi and it was a complete junk show of people trying to get an anchor set in 20ft of water with a SWIFT current. I had mine set without issue and didn't move all day.

Dandamanf15
07-19-2012, 01:27 PM
Thanks for all your input! The box anchor looks like it would be great, but I'm with Michael...can't really justify the expense for once or twice a season :P I haven't tried my danforth yet so i'll probably give that a test run next time out and see how it does. Good to know about the amount of line, I probably would have tried to set it with way too short a rope.

Dandamanf15
07-19-2012, 01:30 PM
Dead hookers.

Could you expound on this type of anchor please Haugy? I've never heard of this style..or is that the brand name?? I googled it and didn't find much helpful anchor info.... ;)

jzelt
07-19-2012, 01:33 PM
We have 2 15 lb mushroom anchors. (1 with 4' chain and 50' rope, other with 6' chain and 100' rope). Depends on weather, current, and body of water which one works for the day. At night, we throw one off the front and run a line to shore from the ski post.
In the past, we have used a folding grapple type of anchor that was nice for a quick stop. Depends on bottom what anchor works best.

tg0824SSVGG
07-19-2012, 08:18 PM
As someone said, make sure you have enough chain and it should be good ... I just bit the bullet and love the box.

kriley
07-19-2012, 08:35 PM
Hooker is the brand name.. I have one of them - Works great - Laughed when I noticed the band name.....

TitanTn
07-19-2012, 09:51 PM
Unless the bottom is rocky, the Danforth is the best anchor you can get. As others have mentioned here, success depends on how you set them. If you're in 8' of water, plus have 2' of freeboard to your anchor cleat, you've got a total depth of 10'. So in calm conditions you'll need about 40' of rode. Add current, and a 15 mph wind, you'll daily need 60-70'. With 100+ feet of rode, you could ride out a hurricane. Easily.

Diggs
07-20-2012, 09:45 AM
As others have said if you are willing to spend a few extra bucks, buy the box anchor. They are small and fold up small in the boat. They don't need chain. They set in most surfaces right away and will hold a big line of boats. The others will work, but I have used most anchors and the box anchor is the best. It does come with a premium though.

Okie Boarder
07-20-2012, 12:54 PM
Dead hookers.

LOL!

I have three...

http://www.bartswatersports.com/images/Product/largeimage439.jpg

http://www.a2zoutdoors.com/9960.jpg

http://www.iboatsimages.com/mall/image/vendor/3/big/489_opt_8949.jpg

Which one we use depends on the condition.

csuggs
07-22-2012, 08:15 AM
Timely thread here. Yesterday we were anchored on a rocky bottom. Actually the bow was tied to a mooring buoy and the stern anchored on a rocky bottom. With all the wakes and wind in the area, my anchore line rubbed in two on a rock so my anchor is in about 30' of water at Summersville Lake!

Have to decide on a new one . . .