PDA

View Full Version : short squeal when shifting from fwd or reverse to neutral

JT_Supra24SSV
07-23-2012, 08:49 PM
2006 24ssv gravity games 210 hrs indmar assault 340 hp

New to me.

Was intermittent last trip and brief and not too loud.

Been in water for 2 days now. Always happens, lasts longer, and louder.

No other issues.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
John

haugy
07-23-2012, 09:16 PM
Check your tranny fluid. That's normally a cause of that kind of noise. Low fluid, or old fluid that needs a flush.

Mine did that when I bought it, added more tranny fluid and stopped that day. Start there.

JT_Supra24SSV
07-24-2012, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the super fast advice. Tranny and vdrive fluid were both at the low end of range.

I added fluid to both but didn't seem to have any positive results.

I also notice a squeal going from neutral to fwd or reverse.

Any other thoughts? Is it likely that a tranny flush would resolve? Fluid is
Red, slick and doesn't smell burnt.

Thx again!

wotan2525
07-24-2012, 06:02 PM
Are your belts tight? Not sure why they would only squeal when you shifted but it might be place to look....

haugy
07-24-2012, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the super fast advice. Tranny and vdrive fluid were both at the low end of range.
I added fluid to both but didn't seem to have any positive results.
I also notice a squeal going from neutral to fwd or reverse.
Any other thoughts? Is it likely that a tranny flush would resolve? Fluid is
Red, slick and doesn't smell burnt.
Thx again!

Hmmmm........it only does it for a second or two? Or for about 10-15 seconds?

Does it do it hot and cold?

Did you run it for a while after you added fluid? If it was very low, it may take a while to circulate through the tranny cooler. You could drain the tranny cooler to see if it's slightly jammed and somehow preventing flow at low pressure.

After that, I'm running out of ideas. You're sure it's coming from the back of the engine?

DAFF
07-25-2012, 07:25 PM
Check the belts for looking worn or shiny on the inside. I think they still used the V style belts on the enginie. Perhaps the sudden RPM change is causing a litlle slip on the belt. No matter it is always good to have a spare set of belts nearby in case of breakdowns.

A quick test is to spray a little wd40 on the belt and listen for a change in sound or disapearance of the squeel.

haugy
07-25-2012, 09:21 PM
No matter it is always good to have a spare set of belts nearby in case of breakdowns.

I agree completely. So much so that I bought a spare set, opened up my rear side seat that I always keep spare parts in, and put my new spare belts right next to the spare belts I bought last year. DOH!!! :D

calliemay
07-25-2012, 10:04 PM
I have been having the same exact problem with my baby. She loves to drain my wallet but I cant break up with her. haha

csuggs
07-26-2012, 09:12 AM
I agree completely. So much so that I bought a spare set, opened up my rear side seat that I always keep spare parts in, and put my new spare belts right next to the spare belts I bought last year. DOH!!! :D

Same here Haugy - got a spare set behind the observer seat as well as a neutral switch and set of spark plugs. I figure if I have them with me on the boat I will never need them! :D

JT_Supra24SSV
07-26-2012, 01:08 PM
Thanks everyone. Here's an update.

The "squealing" I would describe as more metallic - like a gear slipping.

I have put an additional 7 hours on her since 1st posting.

The sound has progressed to being constant while running until rpms at 1000 then disappears. Definitely sounds like coming from engine/tranny/vdrive area. Belt looks good and has 1/2" of play. Doesn't seem to be slipping but I will try the wd40 suggestion on our next outing (unfortunately 2 weeks away).

Happens hot and cold.

A little more info has been bestowed upon me... apparently a dock line got wrapped around the driveshaft at the beginning of our trip and my father-in-law unwound it 7 or 8 wraps. He said it wasn't in the prop at all and he had no problem unwrapping it. I don't think this is the culprit because:
- I don't feel any vibration so shaft alignment seems ok.
- the squeak started previous trip before any rope issues.
- inspection of prop and shaft shows nothing to the bare eye

I will say the 1 of the prop blades is dinged/bent from an unfortunate event my wife had with the trailer 2 months ago. I doubt related but trying to give all you experienced v-drive folks all the info I can think of.

Finally, my brother-in-law who is fairly versed with inboards said it really sounds to him like the clutch plate is going out. Apparently he had same issue with his old Nautique and Supra... Of course, he's 2 states away and is just advising based on the info that I can describe on the phone.

Thanks again everyone!
john

JT_Supra24SSV
08-07-2012, 08:00 AM
Hello all,

In case anyone else experiences the same issue, the problem was the Cutlass bearing on the strut.

Hope this thread helps somebody in the future!

cheers,
john