PDA

View Full Version : 85 TSM6 rides low in water

Indiana Rob
07-24-2012, 03:42 PM
I have a 85 Comp tsm6 Supra, that is in good shape, very solid, and runs great. But last year I noticed a constant drip behind the motor where the "nut" connects to the drive to the prop. I had this "thread nut they called it" (please correct my lingo if i butcher it) replaced but this year I noticed it it dripping again. I have a good bilge pump
and run it quit often but even when the hull is dry when I lift the motor hood the boat seems to sit low in the water. I often look at the swim deck when I am in the
water and it always seems to be about 1-2 inches above the water line, but i have notice that when I am at lower speeds 10 mph or so I seem to be getting splashed. I am not sure if it is common since the comp rides low or if it is because I have a deeper issue.

I have thoroughly walked all around the inside of my comp and can not find evidence of any soft spots. Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

wotan2525
07-24-2012, 03:49 PM
Sounds like this is just how low the comp rides.

The nut that you are referring to is the packing nut. You can tighten this down to 3-4 drips per minute, but it is designed to drip. If you can't tighten it down to that, then you need to repack the rope in there. It's easy to do and you can get the parts at skidim.com.

Indiana Rob
07-24-2012, 03:55 PM
Thank you, I will tighten it tonight. A local marina repacked the rope in there for me last year so hopefully tightening it will do this time. Thanks for your input, allot of great advice
on this site.

86 century
07-25-2012, 04:06 AM
If they put the old style wax impregnated rope in it will leak a bit more than you would think.
discount inboard marine has a newer style that leaks a lot less.

My bravura sets pretty low as well if there is any chop or wind then you will get wet.

Where you at in Indiana.

Indiana Rob
07-25-2012, 09:12 AM
North Webster , In northern Indiana

86 century
07-25-2012, 06:24 PM
Right on
I have some friends with a place up there hung out there a lot in my teens.

Been thinking of coming up there this weekend. Is the back water ramp still open.
I would haft to fold my tower to get through the tunnel not that big of a deal.

If you want to come down to mississinewa reservoir we would be happy to show you around.
there is somewhere in the area of 3800 acres of water.

Normally good for boarding before noon and after 6. A few deep coves for times the lake is trashed.