PDA

View Full Version : Velvet Drive

87 Sunsport
09-12-2005, 03:25 PM
I have an 87 Sunsport with a 1:1 Velvet drive. The entire transmission and damper plate were both replaced with new parts from skidim two years ago. My son and his teenage friend drive the boat hard, and last week almost all the transmission drained while he was riding. I can't see the leak when we're underway but just sitting in the slip for a week will require I top the transmission off with Dextran. The transmission body looks bombproof and all the visible gaskets and bolts seem fine. Any thoughts on where this would leak?
Thanks

Brian Raymond
09-13-2005, 09:59 AM
Is it leaking into the bilge? If not, it may be exiting the boat through a pinhole inside the trans. cooler. If there is fluid in the bilge, and no obvious leaks can be seen externally, it may be the front seal. Keep us posted. Brian Raymond

87 Sunsport
09-14-2005, 04:33 PM
Thanks Brian,
Yes it is leaking into the bilge, How do I identify the front seal. Are there any other tests that would be helpful?

Brian Raymond
09-15-2005, 11:08 PM
Pull the starter off (remember to disconnect the batt. first). Feel inside where the starter mounts, and see if there is fluid around the flywheel or at the bottom of the bell housing. Brian Raymond