PDA

View Full Version : Winter Project Prep

HtxConbrio
07-25-2012, 09:09 AM
I am wondering if anyone has a ballpark list of materials for a complete stringer replacement. I have a 90 Conbrio that I am planning on replacing stringers, floor, carpet and upholstery this winter. I figured that I would start stocking up on materials now so that the ding on my bank account is spread out. Plus I think my wife might go easier on me with a few $500.00 parts bills spread out rather than one $2500.00+ one. I will be posting pictures real soon and will need as much help from you guys as I can possibly get. If there is anyone in the Houston area that wants to help I will keep the fridge stocked up.

kevkev
07-25-2012, 10:20 AM
What part of Houston do you live in? I live in Spring. I have never done any work like this but I am very mechanically inclined so usually I can figure anything out.

suprasam
07-25-2012, 11:40 AM
I have never done one myself....but I have heard you can do a good job with materials from 3000 and could cost upto 5000. Your going to hear prices that vary, but make sure you get a shopping list, and shop around online. If you shop, you can possibly do it cheaper than 3K, but do your homework. Good luck. There are many projects on here that were documented pretty well and with their cost.

sybrmike
07-25-2012, 04:54 PM
I'm up in Cypress & just finished rebuilding (full cap off resto) my Saltare over 2+ years. I stay pretty booked up (hence the 2+ years), but would be happy to help where I can. What part of Htown? Planning ahead & stocking up on materials will sure help the ease the sticker shock. But be sure to put together a good plan & budget - piece-a-meal is also a good way to end up spending more than you want. I'd hold off on the resin since it has a definite shelf life & can degrade sitting in your garage for months. US Composites will be your friend. You can PM me here with some contact info if you want to talk in detail. Good luck & get ready for an adventure...

Robby05
07-25-2012, 05:41 PM
I am also in the process of tearing my boat down for a resto. I am planning on using doug fir for my stringers. What size of boards do I need to buy? Found a couple 2x10's 16' long laying around at work, left overs from another project. Can I use those and rip them down to my size. Sorry to hijack your thread HTX :)

HtxConbrio
07-25-2012, 09:09 PM
Sybrmike-

I am on the northwest side not too far from you I live in the copperfield area (HWY 6 & 529). Where did you get your materials? I have about 4500.00 budgeted for the work. Do you think I can get it done with that or should I try and spend more?

sybrmike
07-26-2012, 11:20 AM
You can probably do a good stringer/floor job for half of that. For reference - I used 3/4" exterior plywood for the stringers (doubled on the inner, single on the outer, stacked on the mounts), 1/2" exterior plywood floor, dried pt 2x for some bracing, combination of woven, cloth, and mat with poly resin. My cost was around $2k, but I already had some stuff laying around. Higher end lumber and epoxy resin can drive the cost up. Lumber - Lowes, HD. Glass & resin - US Composites

Probably around $4-500 for all new carpet & adhesive. Ingle's carpet online

Interior - all depends on what gets done. Can easily be the most expensive part of your list.

HtxConbrio
07-26-2012, 11:39 AM
I have an appointment with an interior shop next week for a quote to redo the interior. The shop is quick fix glass and headliner on Clay rd. They were recommended by a good friend. He had his Comp done by them for about 1500.00