PDA

View Full Version : 88 Saltare New Owner

woody17
07-28-2012, 01:21 AM
Greetings all-

I've taken the plunge and purchased an 88 Saltare...unfortunately prior to finding these forums! Took the boat on a test run and everything ran nicely. I paid $7700 for the boat and trailer.

The previous owner kept the boat in the river--but covered. Not knowing about the stringer and floor problem...can I assume the foam is wet and the stringers rotted? I didn't notice any soft spots on the floor when I was walking around it...but to be honest I wasn't really looking.

I just moved inland off the ocean...where all the boats are completely fiberglass! I wouldn't have thought this would have been an issue...but I'm hoping I didn't make a big mistake! Here is the craigslist add...I will try to get some pictures up after I clean her.

http://albany.craigslist.org/boa/3081971644.html

Best-
Woody

woody17
07-28-2012, 03:00 AM
also--the tachometer seems to be wayyy off. the gauge doesn't seem to stick at all, but when on plane the tach reads like 2000 rpms. how do I diagnose the issue and repair?? worth just buying and hooking up a new tach to see if it works or is it something more than that?

thanks

SquamInboards
07-28-2012, 09:59 AM
Try turning the motor mount bolts with a wrench (tightening them) and that will give you a good idea of stringer quality. Slightly more involved, you can drill into the stringer with a 1/4" bit or something, and see what kind of shavings come out. Then just fill the hole with caulking.

Oh and congrats on the purchase! Looks nice in the pictures anyway...

cadunkle
07-28-2012, 02:38 PM
It's likely rotted if it was never covered. Check the motor and trans mount bolts as Squam mentioned. If they're snug and don't turn freely then you'll likely get a few more seasons out of it before it needs restored. Also tap on stringers the whole length with screwdriver or wrench, should sound like firm and sharp like knocking on solid wood. If it's dull there is soft/wet wood inside. You'll hear a noticeable difference from good spots to bad spots. If motor mount area is solid just run it and plan/budget for a stringer job down the road. You might get lucky.

mr.jrc
07-28-2012, 07:20 PM
Woody17, hope for the best. I am just north of you in Saratoga Springs. I have an '86 saltare, did the floor and stringers 13 yrs ago on mine. If your tach is busted i have an extra i'll sell, PM me.
John

woody17
07-29-2012, 12:03 AM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Luckily I did write on the bill of sale that if there are any major mechanical issues I can return by 7/31. how tight should I torque on the motor mounts to see if the stringers are good? As mentioned, I am not from the area so I don't have the tools nor location where I can go into big time rebuild mode. How much does something like that cost?

I searched around today, there is definitely some rot in the wood, up by the cooler and drivers seat. Nothing too bad towards the back or around motor. But the bottom of cushions are definitely all rotted.

John- Awesome! I will pm you. I may be up on Saratoga lake...if you will be around I would love to have you check out the boat and go for a rip with me.

Best-
Woody

DAFF
07-29-2012, 08:32 AM
By the pics your seems to be in the better condition than most for that era. The privious owner(s) must of taken great pride in her. As for the rot, all have it but your will typicialy be on the lower side of the scale. Also by looking at the waterline the boat sits high in the water which is very good news.

All in all you got a good deal for the boat with that kind of hours. Yes, stringers will be needed in the future. That could be 7 years down the road if you are lucky. Welcome and enjoy your biggen !!!

Dirty Driller
07-29-2012, 12:37 PM
Nice boat man. Enjoy it!! Hope you get the kinks worked out

woody17
07-29-2012, 01:19 PM
yup...motor mount bolts spun freely...stringers are shot.

1- what is the purpose of the stringers?
2- what happens if i don't replace?
3- what does a job like that cost (with labor)

cadunkle
07-29-2012, 04:16 PM
Stringers support the hull and keep it rigid, so it doesn't flex and crack. Launch off a tug wake with rotted stringers and you can damage the hull when you come down. Stringers also serve as attachment points for the driveline. All thrust from the prop is transmitted through the stringers, my way of the engine and trans mounts. Since the engine is mounted to the stringers it also keeps the engine bolted in, so it doesn't move when revved or under load. Rev your car, the drivers side of the engine, or the whole car, will lift due to torque. In a boat the engine uses much more rigid mounts with small vibration isolators, allowing little to no movement.

When stringers are rotted in the engine mount area the engine will lift on the port side and the mounts will work loose from the soft wood. Best case you damage the shaft, coupler, and strut. Worst case the whole shebang holds together together, everything torques and lifts, and it rips the shaft log from the hull and your boat sinks. It happened to one of the guys here. If your motor mount bolts are loose it needs stringers, or you'll either be breaking parts or sinking your boat.

Bottom line, if you paid anywhere near $8k you overpaid by a few grand. Rotten stringers as bad as yours are you're looking at a $2000-$4000 boat. To replace stringers and floor you're looking at $3k-$6k depending on if you do it yourself or how much you're doing yourself. If you can in fact return the boat and get your money back, I'd do it... If not maybe if the guy is decent he'll give some of your money back since you have a big job ahead of you.

woody17
07-29-2012, 07:38 PM
oh shit. now i'm scared...and not going to sleep tonight.

wotan2525
07-29-2012, 09:19 PM
I feel for you. It's bad news. Hopefully the person you bought it from will be understanding and work with you. I doubt he had any idea that the stringers were bad (or that most of them in these boats are.)

I tried to "limp by" with bad stringers in mine. Put in larger bolts in the engine mounts. Engine ended up moving over 3/4", driveshaft wore through the shaft-log and the boat sank. I'm lucky I made it to shallow water but it was a bad, bad day.

If you do get "stuck" keeping it, I wouldn't doubt that you'll have some time before the worst happens (if it even does.) Make sure your insurance is paid up, plenty of life jackets are on board and that you have a backup bilge pump. If I were in that situation again, I'd be headed for deep water.

woody17
07-31-2012, 10:57 AM
ok...my buyers remorse has settled down lol...i spoke to a few boater friends and they said that the stringers didn't seem to be too bad and were confident that we can "make it work" with some u brackets, and glasswork. this boat isn't going to be a "5 year boat" anyway...just a means to an end while I'm living up here in Albany!

don't be negative...don't need any more stress lol!

anyhow...had a blast on the boat yesterday. there is something up by me on Lake George called Log Bay Day...this video taken at like 10:30. Imagine how packed it was by 4!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10100691470684079

gogger
08-02-2012, 08:53 AM
I know the buyers remorse feeling. Bought my 1989 pirata, before finding this forum. Brought it home and took it to a shop to see how to get the seats fixed. Quoted me $10,000 to get it ready for the water. I nearly fainted. So I brought it home and started looking on the internet. These guys calmed me down. I put in a little longer bolts and some git rot and it has been doing fine so far. This winter I plan on taking it to Tennessee to have the stringers done.

In the mean time the boat has changed my life. Really have been enjoying the crap out of it. And last night I finally got up on water skies, 30 years since I skied. The 454 pulled me right up.