PDA

View Full Version : 85 Saltare 351 issue

trpl600
07-28-2012, 05:40 PM
I have rebuilt the carb and all of the tune up parts are new and I still do not have any top end. It will idle fine but as soon as any throttle is applied it falls on its face. The sound it makes is like a large sucking of air. I am wondering if it is an advance issue. I do not have any vacuum lines or electric running to my carb except the choke. Am I missing something?

Thanks

CornRickey
07-28-2012, 07:12 PM
Who rebuilt the carb?

86 century
07-28-2012, 09:39 PM
Have you checked to make sure the excelerator pump is working.

If you have a holly you can adjust how soon the pump starts to come in also make sure the pump arm is coming up far enough to fill the diafram with fuel.

trpl600
07-28-2012, 11:51 PM
I rebuilt the carb and there seems to be plenty of fuel flowing when idleing and when throttle is applied.

OUI
07-29-2012, 11:22 AM
It sounds like you advance mechanism isn't doing its thing. Try spraying a little WD40 into the screen doors on the side, or sometimes the bottom of the distributor. If the weights are sticking that might loosen them up.

trpl600
07-29-2012, 10:51 PM
I didn't see any screen doors on my distributor so I took the cap and rotor off and sprayed the parts inside.I then borrowed a timing light this evening and this is what it says. When idle, the number is 20 and when throttle is applied it goes to a point with no marks or numbers. Keep in mind I have no idea what these mean or should be. I have been looking for some kind of timing numbers online but haven't found any that match what I have.

86 century
07-29-2012, 11:44 PM
It is either 20° advanced or retarded both are no good a base line is 6° before top dead center that's what mine is set at has worked good for me so far.

CornRickey
07-30-2012, 01:13 AM
600-800 rpm at 6 degrees btc. It should go up from there on acceleration. 20 is way off. Make sure your plug wires are on right on the cap for the correct distributor rotation .

cadunkle
07-30-2012, 09:15 AM
6* isn't much, I'd be more in the 8*-12* range if it runs nice with no detonation. Will have smoother idle, more power, and less fuel consumption. At 20* initial and advancing it should not be falling on it's face when giving throttle. Actually I'm surprised it'll even start at 20* initial. Sounds more like an accelerator pump problem to me.

Blackntan90
07-30-2012, 06:59 PM
Yeah, are sure you are on the #1 plug wire? 20 is too much at idle as the others have said

DKJBama92Mariah
07-30-2012, 09:38 PM
I didn't see any screen doors on my distributor so I took the cap and rotor off and sprayed the parts inside.I then borrowed a timing light this evening and this is what it says. When idle, the number is 20 and when throttle is applied it goes to a point with no marks or numbers. Keep in mind I have no idea what these mean or should be. I have been looking for some kind of timing numbers online but haven't found any that match what I have.

Be advised. While the #1 cylinder on a chevy (and most engines) is the port-side front cylinder, on our Ford 351s #1 is the front cylinder on the starboard (right) side. Not knowing this would throw your timing measurement off.

Did you pull the distributor out of the engine when you did the tuneup?

Also, re the connections on your carb. In addition to the steel fuel feed line. There should also be a clear tube running from a nipple on the fuel pump to a brass port on the left side of the carb. If this port is left open, it MIGHT cause a vacuum leak, I'm just not sure and I'm not near my boat right now to check.

trpl600
08-04-2012, 11:46 AM
I am on the drivers side of the engine in the first plug so I am good so far. I didn't remove the distributer and as it turns out I can't turn it to try and adjust it as it is stuck solid. I do have a clear/yellowish tube from the fuel pump but it is pluged in to the flame arrester. There is a brass fitting on the carb but nothing is in it. I have sprayed the dist to loosen and no luck as of yet. I will continue to figure this out. I need to get it to run propery in order to invest money into the floor/stringer project.

CornRickey
08-04-2012, 05:22 PM
The clear tube is for when the fuel pump goes south the tube allowed the gas to go into the carb and not leak into the engine compartment. It's the pumps vent to atmosphere.