PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions

Stal1026
07-29-2012, 07:56 PM
Hey everyone, today went and looked at a 86 sunsport. Asking 2200 for it seller believes motor is frozen. The starter is just frozen not allowing the flywheel to spin. But seller does not know. Hull is in good shape few scratches nothing major, interior junk, floor in bow completely rotted. Floor in main area solid I guess. Motor still needs to come out has not been run in at least three years. no nothing about trans fluid clean but who knows. Trailer not sure about brakes, needs tires and wheel bearings for sure. The motor was also replaced in 09 15 hours on it then dude died. Looking in cylinders with bore scope can see pistons brand new but valves have some rust on them may need to get heads machined.

So background on my boating knowledge have owned two boats the last was a 98 sunsport awesome boat had to sell. I work at a auto repair shop and have complete access to shop and best friend is a
Master tech. I can rebuild this motor and trans easy if needed. And at low cost. The floor and the rot scares me.

My question is would you take on this project and what would u pay for this.

wotan2525
07-29-2012, 09:14 PM
$2200 is a great deal because the trailer (even with everything busted) is worth close to $1000 and the motor is also worth close to that.

The boat will need stringers, however. Don't think you'll be getting on to the water without a minimum of $4-5k more just in materials for a new interior, upgraded electrical, stringers and floors. This assumes you'll be doing it yourself. Is it worth it or are you hoping you'd be on the water for less than $5k invested? Unrealistic IMHO.

Blackntan90
07-30-2012, 06:45 PM
Yeah, alot of money and time thats for sure! But if you really want a project, it is, after all a hole in the water you throw money into!