PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on 1985 Sun Sport

Scotth
09-15-2005, 05:47 PM
I have been on the lookout for an 88-91 Mariah up here in Seattle and ran accross a 1985 Sun Sport. Anyone have any opinions on these? It will be primarily used for wakeboarding. What would someone pay for one? They are asking $4500 which is about the NADA value.

Specs:

351 PCM rebuilt 10years ago, not sure about the hours, rebuilt tranny 6 years ago, various newer engine parts

Interior is in good shape, overall the boat looks good for its age.

Salty87
09-16-2005, 11:38 AM
i think i'd rather a sunsport over a mariah, provided they were in the same condition of course.

sunsports sit much higher in the water, more freeboard. i've ridden in a couple of sunsports, only seen mariah's. i can't think of any features that would put the mariah ahead of the sunsport...same engines, basically the same size.

$4500 for an 85 doesn't seem too bad. anything rebuilt 6 or 10 years ago but not used recently may need attention again though.

Scotth
09-16-2005, 12:43 PM
Well that particular boat sold, but I think I am going to look into more Sunsports instead of Mariahs for the above mentioned reasons. Any reason they wouldn't throw a good wake with some fatsacks?

hondo11
09-29-2005, 12:50 PM
I think I bought the sunsport you are talking about. It runs great. I put a new 13x13 3 blade prop on it and a joystick universal tower. Over the winter I plan to remove the old graphics and buff out the gelcoat with 3m rubbing compound then 3m marine wax and polish. I'm having a local sign shop make grey flames to run down the sides where the old stickers are. The interior is being redone as well at a local vinyl shop grey with blue trim. I just rewired the trailer but I think I'll sand it down and repaint it. It makes a nicer wake than I expected. So, I'd say buy a sunsport if you can find another quality one. There is another 1985 sunsport in great looking shape listed in the boat trader out of portland!

Scotth
09-29-2005, 06:49 PM
Cool! Well you will have to let us know how you like it on the water. How is the floor and stringers? Was that the one in Bellevue?

10-04-2005, 05:20 PM
Hey scott is that 85 sun sport Blue with rainbow decals over in bellevue?

If it is I know the boat

You can email me at [email protected]

1988comp
10-06-2005, 12:28 AM
the sunsport is much more family-friendly than the Mariah. The Mariah is not a good rough-water boat like the sunsport, you will need that if a squall comes through (go fast in bad weather).

The main thing is take it out on the watrer if possible, that is still an old boat.