PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Fluid Change on 88 Saltare- Velvet Drive

woody17
07-31-2012, 11:01 PM
Greetings-

Just bought an 88 Saltare 454 with a Velvet Drive Model 10-18-002 and want to change the tranny oil (opened dipstick and it had that white froth around the screw. A few quick questions:

Questions-
1. How do I find out if I have a level or inclined transmision?
2. Should I change trans oil cold or warm? Would more oil be in the resv. when the motor is cooled?
3. Can I extract the trans oil thru the dipstick like i would engine oil
4. what is reduction gears? Do I have this?

Any tips or tricks for doing this? First time changing trans oil.

Thanks in advance-
Joe

wotan2525
07-31-2012, 11:46 PM
The tag on the tranny will tell you if it's 1:1 or reduction. My money would be on 1:1.

Should be an inclined transmission since it slopes towards the rear of the boat.

The only way for the oil to be removed is to suck out of the dipstick hole. I'd use a flexible tube (make sure it is securely attached) so that you can suck as far down into the resevoir as possible.

You may want to change it then run it a few times to make sure you've got all of the old oil and moisture out of there. Pretty simple to do.

Oh, and oil is easiest to change when warm (it's thinner) but... I doubt that the temp of that oil ever gets too high. The oil cooler is pretty efficient and I've never seen much of a difference between the "hot" oil and the "cold" oil.

woody17
08-07-2012, 08:02 PM
hey guys-

changed out the trans oil today thru the dipstick--but the manual says to clean the strainer screen as well. I could not for the life of me get the screw off the elbow. every time i tried to torque it it would just spin the elbow. how important is it to get that sucker cleaned out?

also is there a magnetic i should clean off??

i have the 1:1 trans