PDA

View Full Version : Steering getting hard

BrazosLaunch
08-01-2012, 06:06 PM
I have a 2003 Launch (Inboard, not V-drive). The steering is becoming harder & harder.....I was told it is usually due to sitting over the winter.

Is there a Zert fitting to grease or do you have to replace the cable?

Patrick56
08-03-2012, 09:48 AM
Steering cable at the rudder end sits low in the hull of your boat. They are pretty vulnerable to pulling moisture in over time. Time to replace your steering cable. I had to do it on my 03' SSV at the start of the summer. Should be able to find a replacement cable online around $150.00. I think access is pretty good on the DD.

jzelt
08-06-2012, 01:28 PM
Also changed our steering cable this summer. Difference is being able to use a pinkie to steer the boat vs both arms and muscling it.
I am now tempted to put a zerk fitting in the aluminum tube to use to apply grease. However in the meantime, I have pumped the aluminum tube full of grease and pushed the cable thru to prevent having to replace it in the future.

kevbo5566
04-03-2013, 08:57 AM
I think I'm going to be replacing my steering cable in the next month. Are there any special tools I'll need, other parts, or things to be watchful of when replacing the cable? I plan to call skidim to get the correct cable for my 03 Launch ss, but wanted to see if there's any helpful hints or advice from the forum.

dewey22
04-10-2013, 02:16 PM
The steering is hard on my '87 saltare as well. I plan on replacing the steering cable at the end of April when I get it out of storage. Is there a certain cable that anyone recommends? And does anyone have any diagrams that I could use to make the process a little easier? Thanks.

jasun
04-10-2013, 02:27 PM
I have an '86 Salt and I ordered the following :
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1%7C7504%7C906014%7C314189&id=337395

I have not yet installed it, but am sure I got that info from another member who has a Salt from the site.

Salty87
04-10-2013, 03:12 PM
skidim is another great place for parts. those guys have answers, too. i've had skidim on the phone helping with pointers while i've been in my boat working on it. they know old supras.

it's not a difficult project but it's not really fun. disconnect the old cable and slide it out. try to prevent grease and grime from getting on seats/carpet. then wrangle the new one into place and reconnect.

beat taco
04-10-2013, 03:25 PM
There should be a zerk on the rudder afaik

wotan2525
04-10-2013, 03:50 PM
There is a zerk on the rudder (which I only discovered after rebuilding it last year. I went ~10 years without greasing it once!) If your steer is stiff, it's probably too late. The grease packing isn't as much for lubrication as it is for sealing and keeping the seals dirt/dust free.

Steering cable isn't too hard to replace, but I'd replace the helm at the same time. It's not much more to buy the "kit" and then you know that almost everything is new once you are done. The kit that I did came with good instructions.

Jdm89supra
04-10-2013, 09:57 PM
so what dose it mean when your steering is only hard to turn one way and by hard I mean two hands but not muscling the wheel over. one way you let go of the wheel it will turn with your pinky.

gwbronco
04-22-2013, 09:25 AM
Steering cable at the rudder end sits low in the hull of your boat. They are pretty vulnerable to pulling moisture in over time. Time to replace your steering cable. I had to do it on my 03' SSV at the start of the summer. Should be able to find a replacement cable online around $150.00. I think access is pretty good on the DD.

Do you have a part number for the cable you used. I just picked up a 2004 SSV and the cable needs to be replaced. Any info would be great thanks.

Patrick56
04-29-2013, 04:31 PM
1-SSC15420 TELEFLEX SSC15420 HPS R&P BACKMOUNT TFXTREME 20' $134.89 x 1

I ordered last year from Lowcostboatingstore.com Perfect match, and works great. I do think there is a stainless steel option out there at a pretty good cost increase. I figure the 1st one lasted almost 10 years, so I would stick with the stock item.

Hope this helps, sorry for the slow response. I haven't been on the forum in awhile.

claysimmons
03-09-2014, 02:54 PM
13765The steering cable has a long rod attached to the end connected to the rudder. How did you manage to feed that through the access hole under the dash? Picture of my access hole and steering cable is attached. I don't see how it's possible to pull that shaft/nut end up through such a tight area. I can see it working hack sawing this end off, but then how will the new one fit through there? There seems to be too many wires and hoses to accommodate the space required to fish that rod end of the steering cable through.

trayson
03-14-2014, 04:12 PM
There is a zerk on the rudder (which I only discovered after rebuilding it last year. I went ~10 years without greasing it once!) If your steer is stiff, it's probably too late. The grease packing isn't as much for lubrication as it is for sealing and keeping the seals dirt/dust free.

Steering cable isn't too hard to replace, but I'd replace the helm at the same time. It's not much more to buy the "kit" and then you know that almost everything is new once you are done. The kit that I did came with good instructions.

Does my rudder have a grease fitting??? If so, where would I find it?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-JD_skWuIjlg/UhpFfkr6w7I/AAAAAAAAO1A/VrJ1pE3AzYI/s800/20130825_104819.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-GJhzVTN5rIg/UhpFjE5zhMI/AAAAAAAAO1I/bZjywtz437w/s800/20130825_104640.jpg

inair
03-15-2014, 05:14 PM
Trayson, there are a number of different rudder assemblies that SC used on these boats over the years. Some had/have a grease fitting and some don't. Your boat is one year newer than mine but appears to have the same unit that mine did. You can see from the parts that there is no grease fitting there. The assembly that I ordered from SC to replace the one in the picture has no Zerk fitting either. Instead it has a nylon sleeve over the portion of the shaft that fits inside the fitting that is attached to the hull.

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb375/kennash737/DSC_0217_001SupraRudderpic.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/kennash737/media/DSC_0217_001SupraRudderpic.jpg.html)