PDA

View Full Version : Another shaft packing question

jeffreyk573
08-01-2012, 06:35 PM
I was replacing the shaft packing on my 24 SSV today, and I have to say that it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. And I highly recomend PB Blaster if you have tight nuts.
I was a little surprised to find 4 rings of GFO packing fiber, and they looked pretty good too. I had a constant trickle of water coming through the shaft seal without the boat in gear at all the last time we went out. So all that said, is 4 rings the number that I should put back in? I'm putting the regular wax impregnated material back in because that is what I have. Will be installing tommorrow. Info tonight appreciated.

docdrs
08-02-2012, 12:44 PM
I am assuming that you tried adjusting the nut(tightening to reduce the dripping) If it was tightened all the way then you will probably be able to fit a fifth in. Do 4 tighten nut by hand then back off and add 5th. .02

Rusty Griswold
08-02-2012, 09:03 PM
I am assuming that you tried adjusting the nut(tightening to reduce the dripping) If it was tightened all the way then you will probably be able to fit a fifth in. Do 4 tighten nut by hand then back off and add 5th. .02

Has anyone installed a dripless system on there supra. I had one on my nautique at one time and it was great.

docdrs
08-02-2012, 10:01 PM
Has anyone installed a dripless system on there supra. I had one on my nautique at one time and it was great.

I have a oj dripless....there were some probs at the beginning but now my bilge is bone dry. :) Takes about an hour to convert maybe 2 if its your first and unfamiliar but an easy diy and you can check your alignment while your at it

jeffreyk573
08-03-2012, 07:03 AM
Doug,
I did try to tighten the packing nut, but I have to say that after looking at the material that I took out, I should have probably tried harder. I was under the impression that I should only try to tighten by hand. I couldn't move it. I went ahead and put 4 rings back in. I'll have to wait another week before I can put the boat back in the water to see how she works. You have me thinking that maybe I should put a 5th ring in. I think I have the room.