PDA

View Full Version : 80's exhaust covers.

92SupraComp
08-01-2012, 11:14 PM
Hello all. we really like the looks of Supra boats that have those fancy exhaust covers that came on boats out of the factory. I would like to see some pics as we havent been able to see them up close. also. we interested in trying to fit them to our boat if we can buy some. only prob is that all tha boats that i see them on have dual 3" exhaust. where as we have dual 3.5" exhaust. any info would be awesome.
Thanks,
Joe

csuggs
08-02-2012, 08:53 AM
They are called SuperTrapps. I agree that they look and sound cool, but you don't want them on your boat. Mine came with them (86 Sunsport) and at first I really liked them. But I soon found out that the SuperTrapps were the culprit for most of the stringer and floor rot found in the 80's boats - including mine. The way they are put together they require lots of maintenance to keep them from leaking water into the area below the floor. Most people, including myself, who have new stringers and floors do not re-install the Trapps. Do yourself a favor and stay with the flappers.
Clint

92SupraComp
08-02-2012, 12:30 PM
They are called SuperTrapps. I agree that they look and sound cool, but you don't want them on your boat. Mine came with them (86 Sunsport) and at first I really liked them. But I soon found out that the SuperTrapps were the culprit for most of the stringer and floor rot found in the 80's boats - including mine. The way they are put together they require lots of maintenance to keep them from leaking water into the area below the floor. Most people, including myself, who have new stringers and floors do not re-install the Trapps. Do yourself a favor and stay with the flappers.
Clint

well the things is that the entire boat is covered in fiberglass. plus it isnt that hard to pull the gas tank if they start leaking. did you happen to throw them away or do you still have them??? if you have em' we would love to have them. if you want we could work out a deal.

csuggs
08-02-2012, 01:05 PM
No, I don't have them. Suit yourself if you want problems with water leaking in . . .

92SupraComp
08-02-2012, 02:36 PM
No, I don't have them. Suit yourself if you want problems with water leaking in . . .

well we would fit them to our existing flanges(original). we have an idea on how to fit a bolt that the end cap goes on.

wotan2525
08-02-2012, 03:27 PM
I don't know if I agree with csuggs. I think that these did cause problems but I think it's because they were not properly maintained. They do need to be resealed from time to time. I personally don't understand how the flange that they use would be any different than flappers once they are properly installed.

csuggs
08-02-2012, 10:45 PM
On the original design, the s-trapp flange that mounts and seals to the transome is welded or attached to a tubular collar that slips inside the 3" exhaust tube. Then it had to be sealed from the outside of the boat where the tubes telescope together using something like 4200 or 5200. The problem is that the seal cannot endure the vibration (and possibly heat) of the exhaust and had to be cleaned nd re-sealed often. And I'm not sure anyone knew it until it was too late - damage done. To me that's not worth the trouble.
That said, there is nothing wrong with Supertrapps if they are installed in a manner that doesn't require the maintenance. Maybe a little "engineering" could solve the problem.