PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone ride the kankakee river

mabbore
08-02-2012, 09:52 AM
I usually rock the chain of lakes up in the fox lake area of Illinois, but was planning on hitting up the Kankakee fiver around Morris and the sandbar, but had heard some warnings about logs and other issues. Has anyone been boating on the Kanakee river this season that could give some insight of the dangers? People say the same thing about the chain, but I rarely have any issues.

NAW
08-02-2012, 10:02 AM
You might get a better response over on Wakeworld. I know some guys that shred regularily on the Kankakee. They say you just have to know it and it's a money spot.

Morris, as in Morris, IL? I think that's the Illinois River. Its been a few years, but I used to ride down there all the time. Nice spot thats usually always pretty flat. It's an international shipping lane, so stay clear of the barges and keep in mind that they can churn up some huge logs. Other than that, it's a good place to ride. Hope that helps!

Jetlink
08-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Morris, IL is the Illinois River or the IM Canal I think. Only time I have ever been down there is in the amphibian. There are a few spots that look nice from the air and we usually see some smaller boats down there but oddly enough I never see anyone swimming or riding as the water is rather nasty in my opinion. Always have to wash and scrub the plane down after those water excursions.

trpl600
08-04-2012, 11:36 AM
I ride on the Illinois on the up river side of the locks. That area is where the Kankakee and Illinois meet. I have been down the river on the Morris side and it does have a lot more sand to play on and it seems less crowded after you get away from the launch are. If we have a lot of rain and Indiana gets the same, the river gets nasty with floating logs and such. Just stay in betwen the red and green and all sound be fine. I have yet to run a ski boat on thie river but I do run a pontoon and a jet boat and never hit anything that did any damage.