PDA

View Full Version : New boat Owner

kid79
08-02-2012, 05:09 PM
Hello all.
I bought my very first boat this summer and love it!!! Its the 2012 22v worlds edition. Currently I have about 4-6? hours on it Maybe more? as my Vision center has only worked for about an hour since I bought new. I have had it replaced once and waiting on a tower arm to come in to have it looked at again.

Other than that and a freezed up tower bolt, I cant complain!!!

So, me being new to Boating, Is it just me or is there a trick to knowing which direction my rudder is in? I have hit the throttle a few times pulling my kids up wakeboarding/sking to find myself taking a hard right or left?!?!

Also is there anybody out there that makes a Light/speaker bar cover? Lot of bugs here in Minnesota!!!

chrisk
08-02-2012, 05:46 PM
To fix your driving issue, there's a couple of things you can do. The first is to just make mental notes of where you've got the steering wheel. After a while you'll know which direction you have it facing without even thinking about it. The second is to just put the boat in gear for a few seconds before romping on the throttle. That's something you should do as a courtesy to your riders anyway but the way it will help you is give you a couple seconds to realize that your steering hard right or left and you can spin the wheel in the opposite direction as you throttle up.

There are a few sources for speaker covers, depends what brand/model you have. I'm going to guess you have the Roswell speaker/light set up?

scotthons
08-02-2012, 06:21 PM
Good suggestions from Chris regarding the steering...now post some pictures of your new toy!

kid79
08-03-2012, 09:45 AM

kid79
08-03-2012, 10:05 AM
Thanks!!! I thought as much on the steering....I guess the lack of rudder response at slow speed is what has me in a learning curve both in pulling a skier up and docking:) Dont get me wrong the steering is awesome at speed, just need a little more seat time behind the wheel. I do have the Roswell speaker/light bar and have found what Iwas looking for, so thanks for the heads up on that as well!!!

michael hunter
08-03-2012, 10:37 AM
First Welcome to the forum.
If you turn the wheel to the stop and turn it back to the opposite stop and count how many turns it takes. Then before you pull turn the wheel to stop then 1/2 the turns back and you should be straight. Driving an inboard takes some time to master it will come with practice.

kid79
08-03-2012, 10:48 AM
Great Idea!!! thanks... Would be super cool if the dash had a rudder direction indicator or a button that would trigger the steering wheel to auto return to home position~(straight)!!! Maybe in the future? But Im guessing like everything else, just need to get used to it.... Sure is fun figuring it all out though!!!

wotan2525
08-03-2012, 11:19 AM
You'll get it figured out. Just put more hours on it. Congrats and welcome to boating!

Gotta say.... that boat is a real stunner! Did you get from Forest Lake Motorsports or are you up north? What lakes/rivers are you typically on?

scotthons
08-03-2012, 11:26 AM
The boat is beautiful! You are going to have a blast on her.

kid79
08-03-2012, 11:31 AM
Thanks! I did buy it at Forest lake Motorsports. I have been on Centerville, Bald eagle~ (can literally see from my house), Deer lake and Bone lake Wi, Long lake Isanti.
Going to be up in Brainerd this whole week for vacation so I'll get 7 days of use!!!

haugy
08-03-2012, 09:00 PM
I just sped read, sorry. But holy balls! That's your first boat? What was your first car, a Ferrari? :D

Welcome to the board, and enjoy your new ride!

Ptownkid
08-04-2012, 08:21 AM
Yeah I was thinking the same thing...new to boating and 2012 supra worlds does not compute. Haha, welcome!

kid79
08-05-2012, 10:37 AM
Haha!!! Yep first boat at 43...kids at right age to enjoy fully, a lot of boat for a first, but with this economy and a great deal, I figured it would be easy to sell if it wasn't for us? Easy to get rid of and would not lose to much money? Or if we loved it, I would not be trading up?..... Guess what? We love our boat and the lifestyle!!!! It was the right boat for a retired mx and snow cross racer!