PDA

View Full Version : 2009 21V wake is a freaking WALL

pap
08-04-2012, 10:33 AM
Son and I are slowly learning wake boarding. We can now do some surface tricks (180s both sides, 360s) and he can do wake to wake HS maybe 50%.

However I find the wake to be just a freaking WALL, straight up and intimidating as heck.

I've found that filling front sac full helps to smooth it out a bit, and we're only running 21mph (at 60-65').

Can anyone with the newer (2009+) 21V share some suggestions for dialing in wakeboard wake for this boat?

cigars n scotch
08-05-2012, 10:33 AM
I have a 2008 21V Pap and I've never heard anyone describe the wake as a wall, maybe the SANTE 210 but not our boat. At 60' and 21 mph you're going to have a steep ramp on the wake, even so at 65'. My wife rides at 65' and 21.6 mph usually and I bumped her up to 22.6 mph and the wake narrowed a bit for her and she's clearing w2w no problem.

What is your ballast setup today? GIII with a 650 lb in the playpen, 2 400's in the lockers or did you upgrade your bags?

Surpass, especially the 21v likes equal weight front and back. If it is too steep at 60' for you either speed up or don't fill the rears totally full.

pap
08-05-2012, 12:32 PM
I've put the front bag full, and the rears almost empty with plate all the way up. It's a very steep ramp. Maybe I'm just too intimidated, but man. I'm afraid to speed up as I'm already having problems with hitting it, but if it were smoother it might actually be easier. I guess maybe we just need to speed up a bit.

NAW
08-05-2012, 07:38 PM
To be honest, as you guys are developing your fundamentals you really shouldn't be running any ballast.

Also, try putting the wake plate in the down position. It will change the shape of the wake to more of a ramp.

pap
08-05-2012, 09:52 PM
I put weight in the front not to make the wake bigger, but the boat stock with no ballast again has a wake that has almost no transition, it's just flat then boom.

OneMoreSet
08-07-2012, 06:26 PM
I havent ridden a 21v, but i have ridden the famed SAN210s. But some riders I know compare the 21v as one of the only boats closest to the SAN210 as far as steep wakes... Makes sense to me to put ballast up front and none in the rears to create more of transition and leave the wakeplate down all the way. I think youre doing what you can. If you speed up the wake will likely clean up, get a bit smaller and shaped a bit better.

gmarkham1
08-08-2012, 11:16 AM
Like NAW said, lower your wake plate setting to about 50%, the wake will be loads more rampy and not steep at all. The only riders that have the plate close to all the way up on my boat are in love with the old Nautique steep wakes!

Also, drop the ballast until you start progressing. It will help your fundamentals and save you gas$ as well!

jerry_t409
08-08-2012, 04:37 PM
Agreed with Gmark, lower your wakeplate down to achieve a ramp like wake.

cigars n scotch
08-08-2012, 09:39 PM
the default setting for the PP in wakeboard mode is already set for 50% on the wakeplate. Are you using it like that?

Justin
2008 Supra 21V
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pap
08-08-2012, 10:58 PM
I've got the wakeplate typically all the way down.

We had 1 day on a trip to norris lake where we had a beautiful rampy smooth wake. We had all bags full, 3 of us on boat plus 2 pretty big guys we had joining us from a group that was barefooting. I have no idea what was special that day, but the ramp was SO much better and my son was clearing his very first WTWs that run. Since then it's been nowhere near that smooth. It was for that reason (those guys had wanted full ballast) that I've been adding more ballast to try to get back to that ramp, but just not having success.