PDA

View Full Version : Just Rebuilt the 454 Now it wont start

supracalifragilistic
08-04-2012, 11:42 PM
Hey guys I'm getting a bit frustrated with my 1989 saltare with. I bought it last march took it out twice and found out we bought it with a cracked block they they threw some epoxy on to fix and sell. Well i spent the whole year rebuilding the motor and finally got done last week. Put it in the boat turn the key and nothing. buddy has some kind of ignition switch thing that he hooked up press the button and the motor tries to start but wont. Sounds like it wants to start but just wont. I dont really have any mechanical knowledge so was hoping someone would come up with some things for me to recheck? any ideas as basic as they might be would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all the help in advance.

battery is charged
tried moving the throttle back and forth
not 100% sure my wiring is correct.

michael hunter
08-05-2012, 10:38 AM
Did you put the distributor in correctly? Call me and I will try to walk you through it 219-712-5060

wotan2525
08-05-2012, 11:03 PM
Could be a lot of different things but M Hunters idea on the distributor is dead on. Will it turn over when you short the starter with a screw driver or does it not even get that far?

jzelt
08-06-2012, 12:28 PM
Spray some starter fluid and see if it is fuel issue? (posting due to saying it is trying to start).

supracalifragilistic
08-06-2012, 01:27 PM
sprayed some starter fluid and tried to start it. Just backfires and wont turn over. I pulled the fuel lines from the carb and there completely dry not getting any fuel.
can here the fuel pump kick on when i turn the key and have have fuel all the way up to the fuel pump but not making its was to the carb.

wotan2525
08-06-2012, 02:00 PM
Mechanical fuel pump or electric? Backfiring sounds like it's a timing issue. Are you sure you've got the distributor in the right tooth? It's possible that you are 180 degrees off?

gogger
08-06-2012, 09:22 PM
Did you rebuild the engine yourself?

supracalifragilistic
08-07-2012, 01:51 AM
a friend of mine helped me do the rebuild. Wednesday its going to the local boat shop so the guys there can take a look and hopefully come up with a fix.
I wasnt around when the distributor was put in so not sure if it was done correctly. as for the fuel it seems to be getting all the way to the electric pump but not getting any further than that. The buddy that helped me do the rebuild is thinking the timing may be off.

michael hunter
08-07-2012, 09:03 AM
Sounds like a good idea. There are a number of things that can cause a no start. Without a knowledgeable mechanic to talk to I dont think I will be much help over the phone . You didn't fill out your profile so I dont know where you are . If you are near lake Lanier GA. contact me and I will help you.

CornRickey
08-07-2012, 11:14 AM
Backfiri with the carb dry is just from it being lean. Your getting spark and a fuel mixture from the sf then its lean and backfired.

92SupraComp
08-07-2012, 06:12 PM
could the fuel pump be in backwards?? or wired backwards?? cause if its getting fuel but not pumping this could be the issue. a distributor has nothing to do with how fuel is pumped.

kreckley
08-07-2012, 11:11 PM
make sure your firing order is correct I take out all plugs put finger over #1 and turn over till it blows my finger out of plug hole Put wrench on crank back it to around 8 degrees before top dead Put a mallory distributor in and trash that pcm shit line up the cap and rock

kreckley
08-07-2012, 11:19 PM
thats a mechanical pump and only pumps when turning engine over unlike a car with pump in tank. With it disconnected from the carb and you turn the engine over it will shoot out of tubing ... catch it If it doesn't shoot out you have a bad pump When these motor sit they need to be turned over to fill holly float bowls before the engine will fire With lots of summer use you won't notice the delay. With a rebuild or sit all winter or lack of use it takes a few cranks then open throttle a little Hopefully your electric choke still connected