PDA

View Full Version : Another surf thread 242 Launch

Kma4444
08-05-2012, 02:46 PM
So like I mentioned over in general discussion, we got our 2012 242 on Friday.

http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc341/kma4444/MeandMaxi2atAM.jpg

We had a plan for trying different setups for surfing to begin with the stock ballast. We tried just the stock rear bag full on surf side, which for us is goofy. There was a ride-able wave, well, the wife is the real surfer so she did all of the early testing and SHE could ride it, me, probably not so much. But is was obviously not very large. It had a nice shape just not much push. Of course this came as no surprise as 400 lbs in the rear corner of this stretch limo is like tossing a hotdog down a hallway, not much impact.

We went through some different setups using the stock ballast and the approximately 2000 pounds of bags we had from surfing the 86 Sunsport. The best wave coming with as much weight as we could stuff in the rear compartment surf side and under all of the seats in the back surf side. We also had all the stock ballast on board. the wave is big, powerful like you can't imagine and long. The end of the day yesterday I got to ride the final setup and it was all I could do to keep the board from gnawing at the rear of the boat. It just keeps pushing you forward. I could ride as far back as the rope would let you then the curl would come over and grab my back leg. A better surfer could certainly go back even further.

We had a Ronix rope on the tower but I don't know how long it is. It was way back, I mean WAY back compared to the 86 even with the 2000+ pounds we carried in it. I would guess we had about 1500 over stock ballast all on surf side. Couple of cool things, the boat leans very little, the rub rail is still 6+ inches out of the water and the bow sits low enough that I can drive and look through the windshield. The Zero Off cruise is wonderful and keeps the boat right on speed. The steering is feather light and it goes where you point it. A couple times I walked to the back of the boat while underway, NOT recommended for obvious reasons, and it just kept going straight.

The only complaint so far is the FM reception is really poor. The little wire antenna under the front is inadequate for our area. I'm thinking a small antenna hidden under there will remedy that. Wouldn't worry about it and just use music on media but the local station does promos on the lake and we like getting free shirts etc...

I will get pics up and videos soon.

Tmoney
08-06-2012, 05:40 PM
Great looking boat..where do you guys live? We are in Cincinnati and boat at Lake Cumberland in Kentucky about an hour south
of Lexington.

My daughter surfed easily with 98% port side full....nothing in the front was best. Seems the calmer the water the better too. I can
go for a while but not as long as her...she only weighs 90 lbs and I'm 175

How long is your board? We have a Hyperlite Broadcast 48. Thinking the bigger size 54 might be better for adults 150 lbs and up

Kma4444
08-07-2012, 05:46 PM
Ok so here's a video. Took me a while and it's not even good quality, the lens was fogged a bit. But it does an OK job of showing the wave we have so far. I have sent drawings to Fly High to get a custom sack made so soon we will have it dialed!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMQGNa3qYpo&feature=youtu.be

We, well my wife could surf with just the surf side rear full but we had the extra bags and wanted to see what we could come up with. I'm sure we will be completely happy with the wave this thing makes when we get done playing. The wife even said she liked it better than the one behind the competition Enzo she surfed down in Florida at an event. That was wonderful news.

We have several boards, she likes her skims at the moment and I am using one of her Triple X surf style boards. I am pretty sure it is 4'8", I am about 180lbs.

They really do build a pretty boat. We are in Central Georgia and go to Lake Sinclair.

Tmoney
08-07-2012, 06:17 PM
How fast we're you going? Our wake looks similar at 9.4 to 10.2. Every time I got really going with slack, I would end up practically
in the boat or at least on the swim platform

Kma4444
08-07-2012, 06:55 PM
That was 10.8 probably. I had her speed up a bit to 11.1 and it was all good. Still don't have that all figured out just yet we were so ecstatic to have such a good wave so easily that we left a lot of options unexplored. Our wave would for sure shove you right up to the boat if you let it, LOTS of push there.

jdub667
08-08-2012, 12:51 AM
Very nice boat!!! Let me know what you figure out on the ballast settings and speed per I am trying to find the best setup as well. I run 10.5mph it seems to be the sweet spot but still playing with it as well. So what upgrades you planning on if any?
I do love the new prop I put on mine even with full ballast it will pull and plane out no problem so it was a good upgrade, however Iam about 6000ft above sea level.

Kma4444
08-08-2012, 07:24 AM
I will keep this updated with what we try and the results. I'm guessing your boat at your altitude and ours where we are end up having very similar power output. We have the ACME 1325. It is a 14 x 14.25 I think and if anything I would like to try a prop with more pitch, IE. less rpm. Might not be ideal but it would be a fun experiment. This setup turns 600 or so rpm more than the way we ran our old Sunsport and I would like to see how slowing the prop down would affect the wave. I know comparing the two boats is akin to comparing a hatchet to a chain saw but it is the only frame of reference I have to use.

We don't wakeboard much and it is decidedly low intensity when we do so no added ballast is necessary. Getting up on plane should never be an issue for us. I tried one WOT run just to see and it would go 40 mph. I have no need to go any faster, not why we got this boat, but again, it would be interesting to see what a higher pitch would do.

We need to contnue to compare notes, not enough folks talking about the big Supras.

Thanks

kjkimball
08-12-2012, 09:03 PM
We surf our 242 both sides. We have settled in on this set up:

1100 sac in each locker (use appropriate one for goofy or reg)
500lb (10 each 50lb bomb wake ballast bags) on the floor in same corner
11 to 11.5 depending on rider.

The other thing I did was switch to the OJ 5 blade prop. Better for everything including surfing with a nicer wake and quick hole shots.

Our lake is shallow which cause us some grief. So, what we do here may vary from what we would do on a deep lake. We do have a 24 ft deep lake we travel to on occasion and the wake is huge there. On our lake, we have a good long pocket and a waist high wave.

Kma4444
08-13-2012, 08:43 AM
That's great info. Would love to see any more photos or even a video of it.

I have measured for and am having made, a custom sac that will fill the rear compartment and go under the seats up to the driver's seat. We usually just surf goofy so for now that's all I am doing. I will remove the divider under the seats so the bag will fit. It will be around 1700 lbs plus I will be stuffing one of our old bags under the cooler area behind the driver's seat and plumbing it into the main bag. Guessing maybe another 150-200 lbs with it. It will of course be plug and play so that will be nice.

Interesting that you don't run any bow weight or off side weight either. We will have to give that a try. We thought we tried draining the left side bag once but didn't check and it hadn't drained. Explained why it was hard to tell the difference. We're figuring out how to use the new boat, slowly!!!!

I'll look into the 5 blade prop, I've heard opinions both ways on it but yours is the first review I've read on a 242.

If 24 feet is your DEEP lake, how shallow is yours???? I'm spoiled by ours I suppose, we're almost always in at least 35 feet of water. Our lake isn't considered all that deep for around here, less than 100 feet I'm pretty sure. Lake Lanier where I grew up is over 200 in places. When we went to the surfing competition in July down in Ocala, the middle of the lake was 19!?!?!?!?!?!? That was shocking to me, it was a good size puddle too.

kjkimball
08-14-2012, 07:07 AM
Yeah, we are about 20 miles south of where the surf contest was in Ocala. Lake Dora/beauclair/Carlton on the Harris chain is where we play most of the time because it is 5 minutes from home. Dora averages about 9ft and has a few 10-12 ft deep spots. Carlton is 11 average with a 14ft section. We also go to Dalhousie now and then and it is 20-24ft deep just has a really crappy dirt ramp blown out by the bass boat guys. Central Florida is pretty flat so it is rare to find a deep lake here.

On the 5 blade OJ, we didn't just 'feel the difference' and force ourselves to like it because we bought it. I am an Indmar dealer and have the diacom engine test system. So, we hooked the computer up to the engine and ran a set of tests with the stock prop, no rider, wake, surf, etc. Various loading conditions. We then pulled the boat, swapped props, put gas back to full and repeated the tests with the 5 blade. Performance improved in all aspects except top speed.

Kma4444
08-15-2012, 02:23 PM
So I suppose you are very familiar with shallow lakes then!!! I lived in Central Florida as a teen and went fishing on the Lake Dora chain, but only in a rented john boat. Never got to experience them in any kind of watersports way.

I'd call that pretty authoritative feedback on the 5 blade. I will seriously consider that. Since you are Indmar proficient, it seems like the engines turn more rpm than they need to. My instinct tells me they would like a prop with more pitch, I assume you have explored that so please tell me why I am wrong. I would think with the max engine speed being relatively low like they are, that for a lot of the time they operate above the torque peak. I haven't seen a torque curve for the 345 that is in our boat, maybe if I did I would answer this question myself.

Any thoughts on that would be interesting.

Thanks again

e4nash
08-16-2012, 05:56 PM
Great looking boat..where do you guys live? We are in Cincinnati and boat at Lake Cumberland in Kentucky about an hour south
of Lexington.

My daughter surfed easily with 98% port side full....nothing in the front was best. Seems the calmer the water the better too. I can
go for a while but not as long as her...she only weighs 90 lbs and I'm 175

How long is your board? We have a Hyperlite Broadcast 48. Thinking the bigger size 54 might be better for adults 150 lbs and up

I have the broadcast 4'8" and I'm 6'2" 210. I surf that thing behind our LSV all day long no problem...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tmoney
08-16-2012, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the board input...I think I just need to get a better wake formed and work on my technique

e4nash
08-17-2012, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the board input...I think I just need to get a better wake formed and work on my technique

That's it right there. Technique is probably the most important. If you have the right technique you should be able to surf almost anything. Better wake just makes it easier and more fun...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tmoney
08-17-2012, 06:15 PM
Thanks man...we'll keep at it.....kids always learn faster than Dad, but man I love being on the water....a little cool snap in Cincinnati
This weekend so gonna be golfing instead of boating at Lake Cumberland..a..we'll be back at it next weekend if the weather cooperates

Kma4444
08-18-2012, 05:40 PM
Very nice boat!!! Let me know what you figure out on the ballast settings and speed per I am trying to find the best setup as well. I run 10.5mph it seems to be the sweet spot but still playing with it as well. So what upgrades you planning on if any?
I do love the new prop I put on mine even with full ballast it will pull and plane out no problem so it was a good upgrade, however Iam about 6000ft above sea level.

SO we've been out today, all the weight on the right side, which is, stock 400 and a couple bags as full as they will get in the rear compartment. This makes the rear compartment pretty much full. We also have a bag under each seat on the right side. No idea what that makes the weight but it's quite a lot. No, front weight at all, no weight on the left. This gives us a really good wake. Funny, I tried all kinds of variations today and I can't screw the wake up. I can make it smaller, but it still stays surfable. This has been a blast.

The custom bag from FlyHigh is a couple weeks out I suppose. It will fill the entire side of the boat like we have it now. It will probably end up being a bit more weight. I will remove the divider under the seat so the bag goes all the way to the cooler area. Then I have a smallish bag I am plumbing into that bag and it will be under the cooler behind the driver. Something like 1700 pounds in the side then. If the tests today are any indication, that should be PLENTY!!!

We have a couple more days up here as we are playing hookie Monday. So I will unveil any more discoveries!

Kma4444
08-21-2012, 01:18 PM
Good news, the bag shipped yesterday so we should have it by the weekend, :cool:

And here is a video, short and it highlights my meager skills, but it does show the wake pretty well. The setup is what I posted above.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P97ciNYyH18&feature=youtu.be

Kma4444
08-22-2012, 08:44 PM
SO I ordered a custom bag from Fly High for the right side. It will replace the stock 400 pound one and then continue up under the seats to behind the driver's area. It ends where the divide is for the cooler. Under that area I will be stuffing one of the old sacks to gain some more weight and plumbing it into the new bag so it all fills using the stock setup.

One problem, there is a divider under the seat area, which makes putting a bag all the way forward rather,,,,, inconvenient.

So, that's no big deal I have screwdrivers!!!

Now THAT'S a storage area, nearly ten feet back to the transom from there,,,, niiiiiiice. But I'm thinking the guys who penned this boat probably felt some kind of support was necessary, so what to do? Fortunately I have bigger tools than just the screwdrivers. :)

SO I made one of these here things. A little mill time, some welding and some softening of edges and such and I have a handy divider replacement.

And looking down the tunnel so to speak looks like this.

I could have profile milled that to save some weight and maybe pretty it up a bit, but the idea was to add weight anyway, and aluminum is heavier than water so, I went this way. It's a nice cavern for our new bag which arrived today. Tomorrow is plumbing that in!!!!!

Tmoney
08-27-2012, 09:16 PM
Sweet modification...we'll be heading out Friday for the long weekend and can't wait to get back on the water...it's been 4 weeks....a
little thing called school slowed us down.

Kma4444
08-29-2012, 04:15 PM
Thanks, it worked out well. Just a couple things to address:

The water pops the seat bottoms up when you decel. No big surprise there. I've been thinking of a few solutions and will let you all know. It doesn't really hurt anything but it bothers the german shepherd when she's lying there. :D I'll probably control the slosh and maybe put in a lid under the seats to keep the bag down.

It holds too much water,,,,, what did you say? Yeah, it actually is more weight than we need. Sure we could pile weight in the front to make the wave longer and still be crazy tall but it really isn't necessary. We will just run it not full, not that we have had it full yet, but we've had more than we need. Kind of a neat problem to have. The wave just gets real tall and harsh to ride. If we ever want a huge wave we can fill it, and the front ballast and pile weight/folks up there and see, but I don't think that will be the norm. It surfs wonderfully with that bag 3/4? full and no weight up front. We continue to play so it's not completely dialed in just yet but I imagine we will end up with a little front weight but not much. The people at wakemakers say you have to run 50/50 in the Supra to get it to work right, that's not been our experience.

So I will remove the extra bag under the cooler area and just run bagzilla in the side and we will press on. I have some vids so when I get one edited down I will post a link.

Four weeks? Ouch!!!! I hate when life gets in the way of fun. We'll skip the crazy weekend on the lake with all the amateurs for labor day and hit it next weekend most likely. Just love those quiet days when the hoards have gone home! We've put 30 hours on it so far and are having a blast!

wotan2525
08-29-2012, 05:16 PM
GREAT job on fabbing up that seat support! What is your profession where you have access to those neat tools (and the skills to use them? and the money to buy a 2012 Supra?) I'm impressed!

Kma4444
08-31-2012, 08:45 AM
Thanks Wotan, it came out pretty well. I have a shop at the house with a few tools, lathe, mill, TIG, MIG, vertical bandsaw yadda yadda yadda. I can make most anything I decide to. I also do composite fabrication, carbon fiber etc. Have done things from little airbox adapters to entire car bodies. I also designed and built my own race car. Sold one to a customer and then the economy completely killed that market. Would like to have those three years of work/money back!!!!!

I currently do some fabrication work, the last one was converting a zero turn mower into a three head concrete polishing machine. Also am in the process of retooling my molds for carbon fiber race car wings. I also distribute a hydration drink in GA that a friend of mine developed. Oh yeah and I occasionally travel with some race teams doing setup/engineering work.

All that being said, it's been a tough couple years but we have no car payments and little debt. The boat is the thing we love to do so we discussed it for some time and shopped a lot before deciding to get the new 242. Couldn't be happier with our decision so far, it is an amazing boat.

Anyone need any fab work??????? 8)

Kma4444
08-31-2012, 08:49 AM
http://mallenalley.com/images/360_Attrack_2.jpg

Pic of the car I built. I am finishing up probably the last one I will do, as an open wheel version.

wotan2525
08-31-2012, 09:36 AM
Very cool! You're a talented guy!! What series did that car race in and what powered it? I'm guessing an I4 of some kind?

Kma4444
09-11-2012, 07:13 AM
Thanks Wotan, sorry for the slow response. Yeah, in the pic above both cars have Suzuki GSXR 1000 engines, we use a chain drive to a sprocket mounted on a housing that is a torsen style differential. They make about 190hp at the wheels and weigh about 1000 pounds with driver. The red car is mine and it is the test mule. It ended up with a Hayabusa that makes about 220 at the wheels and has to weigh 1175 pounds with driver. The extra displacement really maes the car fun, like a big electric motor, power all the time you want it.

Been doing a lot of surfing with the new ride and it just keeps getting better. We run with the new bag full, the stock left side full and the bow we change around. It surfs very well with no bow weight, it has a steep aggressive wake that is still plenty long. The Smart Plate then gives you quite a lot of control over the height of the wake. My wife immediately notices if I sneak around and change the plate when she's riding.

We also tried it with the bow about 80% full, it o does lengthen the wake and the plate still changes the wave considerably. I think it is better with the weight up front as it is longer and I ride a surf style board. It allows me to get way back and come forward to try tricks, I can't really do any, but I feel for just a second like I'm going to when I'm zooming up to the boat.

We've got around 60 hours on it now and just couldn't be happier. The vast majority of that time has been surfing. CHEERS!!!!!

Kma4444
10-21-2012, 06:26 PM
OK, so just to liven up the Surf category a bit. Here's a video of us out last weekend, 14th of October if I'm not mistaken. We have to take a couple weeks off because of work conflicts but hopefully we'll get a few more in before it will require a wetsuit to be tolerable out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlL7T7aK5rU&feature=g-upl

GRAY
10-21-2012, 08:50 PM
Nice wave! Looks like you have alot of play room from the deck to the back break. Can't wait to see what it look's like when you get your custom sac's. When the Wife and I had our 24 launch I put 750 in port rear locker a 400 as far up as I could on the port side bench and had the 1100 in center locker and stacked the kids in the bow. Our wave was the same height you have in your video and had a lot of length to it. Awesome boat by the way!!

ckracing
10-30-2012, 09:26 PM
Are any of those race cars on track anywhere? They look like an early Stohr at the front. I used to run Sports2000.

Amateurhour
07-05-2013, 10:03 PM
When you say bow 80% full, how much weight does your bow hold? I have no stock bags or tanks in my bow and am trying to figure this thing out.

Kma4444
07-09-2013, 09:25 AM
Guess I've been pretty slack at looking at my own thread. The cars are sitting at the moment. The red one is my car and it is waiting for another upgrade, probably to Turbo Subaru power and a re-body with a new design. Thinking about going around and running LMP2 times just to show it can be done for WAY less than something approaching seven figures. The blue one is sitting nearly new still in Orlando as the owner went to Helicopter driving school and hasn't gotten back to racing it.

Our 2012 Launch has an under floor hard tank and the bag that fills the area that would be the walk through to the bow. I don't recall the exact weight of the stock setup but I'm thinking it is around 1100lbs. That said, we have been running this year with the bow empty or very close to it most of the time. I find that with less weight up front I can control the wake more with the plate. I started with a lot of front weight as all the "experts" said the Supra hull needs a lot of front weight. Maybe they do but mine doesn't.

I thought they all had the underfloor tank up front but I'm no "expert" either. If you say yours doesn't then there you go, just proves that I'm not all that informed. :o

Let me know if I can offer any assistance.

Amateurhour
07-09-2013, 02:58 PM
Can I get an update of exactly what you're running for ballast this year? I've got the 1100's both sides of the engine, the stock I think it's a 400 in the ski locker and have a 500 under the seat right behind the batteries. Also have 2 each 400 lb bags and an extra 500 that I'm gonna try moving around. We had it out on the long weekend and it would make a crazy wake, but just wasn't enough to push me along without the rope (beginner). Also what do you know about wave/bottom interference, and how deep the lake should ideally be to not get this? The lake we were on was probably average of 7 feet deep.

Amateurhour
07-09-2013, 03:53 PM
I'm also thinking maybe the small differences in our boats is the fact that yours is a Launch, and mine is a Sunsport.

Kma4444
07-10-2013, 07:07 PM
I do know the differences in the Launch and Sunsport are ballast related. The Launch loses the walkthrough to the bow, it has a cushion that goes all the way back to the end of the passenger's seat. That area hinges up and underneath it has a bag for ballast. I guess I thought they all had the hard tank under the front floor and the launch just got the bag in addition. But now I understand you can get it with no hard tank under the floor. There ya go!!!!

We run the stock bag in the left rear full, I think it is 400lbs, and the new bag I had made that fills the right side under seat area all the way up to under the cooler behind the helm seat. I'm guesstimating that it has about 1500 lbs in it. That's been it this year. We have played with the front but have adopted a no fill at all approach and it works great. Sounds like you aren't missing much without the front tanks or bag.

Sounds like you have plenty of weight to play with so you should be able to get as much wake as needed. 7 feet, WOW!!!!! That's some kind of shallow. I don't think we have ever tried surfing in water that depth but I have heard that less than 20 feet can affect the wake. I'm not sure I completely agree with that as we certainly have surfed in water less than 20 feet and I couldn't tell you I noticed any difference. Man, at 7 feet you have to be very careful not to run across any "SHALLOW" places. I'd be a nervous wreck unless it was smooth and flat as a pool table on the bottom.

Kma4444
07-10-2013, 07:17 PM
I also would guess that with some practice you will be surfing like crazy with the same wake that is proving to be a challenge right now. There is a lot you pick up with some practice. So get the wake decent looking and go practice, just keep the rope and try and have it slack. You'll find that point where you will just be holding the rope, not using it. Then practice going back and forth, putting weight forward to speed up and back to slow down. You'll be winging it in no time!!!!!! And, here's a great part, the falls rarely hurt at all, nice, makes continuing on much more pleasant. I used to barefoot quite a lot and I can tell you, that was fun, the falls,,,, they make you want to NOT continue on, I repeat NOT... But it was fun and I was young and dense.

Stoppiesteve
09-10-2013, 07:26 AM
Kma444,

Question for you since I have almost the same boat...

Can you post your ideal surf settings as a statistic? We have tried a ton of variations and this is the only setting with what i would consider a lot of push. I'm using the following:

Speed: 10.2
Wake plate: 32
Surf side ballast: 1100lbs rear locker, 200lbs under seat just ahead of locker
Front ballast: 25% (I think this is about $220lbs)
Non Surf Side Ballast: 250lbs

With no passengers or with 8, the settings seem to be best as-is above.

trayson
09-10-2013, 02:18 PM
Can I get an update of exactly what you're running for ballast this year? I've got the 1100's both sides of the engine, the stock I think it's a 400 in the ski locker and have a 500 under the seat right behind the batteries. Also have 2 each 400 lb bags and an extra 500 that I'm gonna try moving around. We had it out on the long weekend and it would make a crazy wake, but just wasn't enough to push me along without the rope (beginner). Also what do you know about wave/bottom interference, and how deep the lake should ideally be to not get this? The lake we were on was probably average of 7 feet deep.

I surf my 92 sunsport Direct Drive. We ride a lot on a river that typically varries 10 to 20+ feet in one area we play in. (Another spot has 15 to 40 feet depth). When we're surfing, 10 feet deep seems to be the magic number. anything below 10 makes the wave break and get foamy. Not ideal at all. If it dropped below 8, I'd have a damn hard time and I'd have to be riding a bit to the side of the "pocket" to keep out of the whitewash.

So if you're trying to surf 7' depth, I think you're going to have your work cut out for you. Not to mention I get nervous at depths like that. I start to get anxious when we're riding and it drops below 8. We have a predominately sandy bottom, but still. One day we were out crusing and going under 15mph and it went 10, 9, 8.... 2.5 --> SANDBAR! I got out and the water was knee deep. Basically a shelf that went from 8' to knee deep.

wotan2525
09-10-2013, 03:46 PM
I can't get a good wave in 7' of water. I need over 10 (but it doesn't seem to get worse if it gets deeper than that.)

Kma4444
09-10-2013, 05:46 PM
Lately we have been surfing with the custom bag mostly full on the right side and the stock 600 pound bag full on the left. We go around 10.8 but have gone up to 11.5. The custom bag setup is probably around 1800 pounds. We can run the 1100 in the front also and it makes the boat work less hard than when the nose is in the air. It drops about 150 rpm with the front full. If I run front weight it's usually about 50%. But it makes the wake less steep and the wife likes it better with no front weight at all.

The plate changes the wake a fair amount and with the rear weight only we usually run it about 40%.

Hope that helps, we really like the wake with ours and it is plenty long and no issues with push at all.

Stoppiesteve
09-10-2013, 07:46 PM
Thanks. Any chance you have an order number or dimensions for that custom bag? I'd like to order the same one.

Kma4444
09-11-2013, 09:11 AM
I'm not sure if Fly High kept a record of what they built for me or not. You could check with them and give my name to see if they did. To utilize the same one you would have to remove the divider under the seat like I did. But really, check the dimensions on their Enzo sack, it is the same basic shape, way cheaper, close to as big and probably in stock quite a few places. And it will fill the area pretty well without having to do anything to the boat. Bags are pretty handy in that they will conform to wherever they are put, they don't have to be too specifically shaped. A couple Enzo sacks and you will be ready for battle I'm sure. I'm gonna get one for the left side of our '42 soon.

Be happy to offer any advice I can. Feel free to ask away. We really like the wake with ours, I've no doubt yours can be great as well.

Jeffk
05-29-2017, 08:12 AM
This is great information. We have the 242 2011 Supra looks just like yours except different tower, and have been surfing for a few years but never had a wave that gave us good push. Glad to hear all it will take is more weight. We have the upgraded pro bags that came with our boat 800 lb bags but those still did not create a wave with much pull. Even with extra people on boat we could not get wave to pull well. Bought a Delta last year and tried it made wave much larger but still not much pull. Our front ballast is small and fills the hull did you guys add any more weight to the front? Several people said the front needs to be weighted down too make wave longer and pull better? Now that are kids are older they would really like to ride without the rope. I just assumed my boat was not set up to have a wave with a lot of pull but glad to read your tips.

Jeffk
05-29-2017, 09:39 AM
I just sent a comment to your old post on surfing behind your 242. We have the same boat and I am trying to get the surf wave to have more pull. Can you tell me how much weight you settled with in the back and front and how you set it up? Your old post sounded like you added 1500 lbs extra to the 600 standard bags? Trying to figure our how you fit all the ballast bags inside storage areas? I was looking at getting custom bags for the back which claim they can hold 1280lbs each but sounds like it will take more than that to make the wave have good pull. We have filled our 800lb bag on goofy foot side and had several people sitting in back corner adding another 400+ lbs and still the wave has very little pull and is not very long. Any help/ suggestions would be appreciated. I bought the delta fin last year and that does make the wave much larger but still not much pull to it kids can't drop rope.
Thanks
Jeff