PDA

View Full Version : Saltare surfing starboard side?

devovino
08-05-2012, 03:09 PM
Has anyone been able to surf a decent wake on the starboard side of their Saltare? I had 8 people and about 1000 lbs on the Salt yesterday, and the wave was still not ride able, at least without the rope, that's the main thing for me is to get rope less. I guess more weight is in order? Also I have considered a new prop, I believe the prop is stock, and talking to Nettle Props, they suggested a 543, I am just wondering if this will be the key to success? Its fun either way, to to go rope less if the trick, eventually some day!! Thanks all, keep enjoying the summer!

Kma4444
08-05-2012, 04:00 PM
I can tell you two things, on our previous boat, 86 Sunsport, we ran a little more than 2000 pounds of weight. With just a driver usually and a 100 pound shepherd in the bow additionally. And we got a 541 prop.

The prop would be my first recommendation to anyone wanting to surf one of the older boats and Nettle is who I would deal with and trust. Also I would think you would want more weight for the Saltare. Unless your friends all come in over 200lbs I would say you are probably light for that size of boat. I assume you are surf side heavy? we ran no weight at all on the non-surf side.

We had a very good wake for the old boat, yours should be even better being a bigger hull.

wotan2525
08-05-2012, 11:01 PM
I've never had much luck on the starboard side. I'm regular so I've never tried that hard. If it doesn't work -- keep adding weight. Is your rub rail in the water? You say you had 8 people but there's not that many seats on the starboard side.... Keep trying and let us know!!

sybrmike
08-06-2012, 11:32 PM
I haven't had a chance to play further since last time, but agree with the more weight comments. I tried starboard last time (see my earlier post) with ~1300 lbs spread evenly at the stern, 750 starboard next to engine, and ~ 600 lbs up front, running a 541 prop. Had to run too fast and some wake plate down to get the bow to drop and wave to clean up. My rubrail was nowhere near the water. I'm gonna try moving more weight starboard and forward (and just more weight in general if I can find it). I think the key for me will be more list and bow down with the wake plate up?

devovino
08-09-2012, 05:43 PM
Well finally got to surf starboard side without the rope! Its a pretty cool feeling not being jerked around by the rope and just cruising with the wake as your sole propulsion! We used all the weight we had, lets see.. 500 in the ski locker, an 800 fly high sack behind the drivers seat ( not all the way full) a 600 on the floor the other side of the motor on the floor, 250 x 2 on the seat rear which we could move from side to side to switch from port/starboard. All in all about 2200 lbs and 3 persons, I did notice moving the weight around bow to stern changed the wake a lot,and we had the wake plate all the way down, did not mess with the wake plate at all, we have the majority of the weight towards the stern and we were surfing no problem! On the starboard side, the rub rail was several inches from the water line at about 10-11 mph. Good times, IMO these Saltare's are so big it take a good amount of weight to sink it low enough in the water to displace enough to make a good surf wake, now I know, and now its a matter of fine tuning and enjoying! Probably get out again this Sunday, maybe take some photos or video, all I have from Tuesday was an impromptu 30 second video taken spur of the moment, maybe I will post it here for all to see! Well success at last, feels goooooood!

sybrmike
08-09-2012, 08:59 PM
Congrats! Glad to hear you got it & my rff daughter will be glad that starboard surfing a Salt is possible. Let me know how it progresses (bow weight, wake plate, etc.) & post some details & picks as you go.

devovino
08-10-2012, 01:04 AM
Well if I can, I will attach this quick video we made- like I said just spur of the moment so its brief but you can get the gist. I will try for some more pics/video this weekend, and hopefully with more than just the old I-phone.

Well unfortunately it is too large, I tried compressing it to a ZIP, but still says too large, I know there was a trick to it but its been a while since I uploaded any video or pictures.

Well regardless, I will figure it out eventually. By the way SyberMike I really like what you did with the bench seat behind the drivers seat, I might have to fabricate something similar, double duty- in extra seating, and a way to enclose my 800lb fly high on that side, and make it so you can still walk around there, potentially add some weight on top of it as well. I am out of the vinyl I used to re-do my upholstery so I might just carpet it for now, but it will make the wife happy in that it wont take up so much floor space, or at least conceal it... ;-)

sybrmike
08-10-2012, 09:58 AM
Thanks, the original intent was just to add additional seating and storage for skis and make that space more usable. Now it looks like I'm gonna have to ditch the skis and pick up another 400#'r to fill that space while surfing starboard. I can then put my flex 750 on top of the bench like I tried last time - maybe pull the rear bench port 450 and try to find room for it over there as well. Looks like these old Salts can handle (and need) lots of weight for surfing starboard side...

Please keep us posted as you tweak it.

jennaswift
08-20-2013, 03:29 AM
WOW great job, we are planning to go there next month and would like to try doing it without the rope. Hoping and keeping our fingers cross to have a good weather during our visit.

SuperSam
09-28-2015, 12:32 PM
My 89 saltare throws a fantastic starboard side wake prop rotation plays a role in how clean it is... I have right hand rotation which means cleaner goofy wake dirtier regular wake. I can ride easily with 400lbs under all rear seats then 600lbs on surf side and 2 people on the boat with wake plate all the way up

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk