PDA

View Full Version : taking on to much water?

brandonbb
09-18-2005, 11:19 PM
i recently bought an 86 supra ts6m and i have noticed that every time i run the bilge pump say every 30-45 min a steady stream of water will spit out for a minute or two is this normal? i have been told that inboards will take in water through the shaft but even just sitting anchored i have to run the bilge and if i am sking i will run it every 30 min and it really pours out anything to worry about or is this part of the deal???

Dinoz
09-19-2005, 06:31 PM
Some things to look for:

1. Inspect the packing seal, this is where the shaft enters the hull I believe. If it is
still the original, it might need to be changed.
2. Inspect the exhaust baffles, the clamp ring around them might be loose. Make
sure that they are tight.
3. Inspect the center plug in the bilge right in front of the motor, also make sure that
the plug in the back of the boat under the swim platform is tight. If this is still
original you might need to change the plug because of the rubber being hard.

I have an '89 comp and the problem that I had was the back plug was old and leaking water, eventually falling out when I was skiing, not good!

Best of luck, you'll love the boat.

DZ.

OUI
09-28-2005, 03:18 PM
With the boat on the trailer fill the bilge full of water -- you should be able to see where the water is coming in/out.

IndyMatt
10-21-2005, 04:02 PM
Uhm.... Huh?? If you fill your bilge with water, I expect you will have a steady stream of water from your bilge pump. As above, most leaks occur from the opperation of the boat, unless you just have a fundamental compromise of the hull. If the water is not coming from a leak in the cooling system of the motor, Or a cross threaded drain plug, it is probably comming from a ballast system (if equipped) or a shaft seal that needs repacking. Obviously the shaft seal will leak faster under use, as the packing warms and expands. It may be as simple as tightnening the jamb nut. If you want to eliminate sources, try running the motor, out of the water with the motor connected to a garden hose. Look and see if there is water accumulating in the boat. Ballast tanks... just inflate with air and see if they hold pressure. The shaft seal and plugs... check in the water.

10-30-2005, 05:07 PM
Anywhere that there is a fitting in or through the hull is a possible source of leakage. My TS6M was taking on a lot of water through the light fitting above the centre of the swim platform. I resealed it and the leak stopped. Also, a lot of boats leak up under the rub rail, especially in rougher water.

dndsam
10-30-2005, 09:00 PM
Make sure all of the drain plugs are in and snug on the block. Another source could be a leaking exhaust hose. On final thought, I had a used Mastercraft once that overheated at one point and warpped the plastic exhaust pieces that go through the hull. You could not tighten the hose clamps tight enough or use enough silicone to stop the leaking, both in and out of the boat. Best bet is to take as much removable floor out and as many seats as possible and stick the boat in the lake. Let it sit, then run it. I am sure you will find the leak.

IndyMatt
10-31-2005, 07:20 AM
I agree with "running it to find leaks" but as above, I suggest you do it on the trailer. The advantages are not only being able to isolate the leak but not to complicate things once you find it. Also on the trailer, you can adjust attitude of the bow (tongue dolly) to see which way water is running in the hull. I would try a few steps prior to ripping out seats.

Salty87
10-31-2005, 12:39 PM
there's no easy way to get to the exhaust. my port side exhaust has been leaking for a while. i can see water running down the stringer, on that side, into the bilge. i've got a sooty bilge too from all the carbon. if you've got water coming in from there, you've got exhaust fumes under your floor and inside the engine hatch too.

IndyMatt
11-03-2005, 08:07 AM
Yikes Salty!! Sounds dangerous!! Not to mention the performance issues you may have by recycled exhaust being sucked into your air intakes. It may be a major pain in the caboose but I think I would take advantage of the next few (cooler) months to get that leak fixed. By your description, I am assuming the leak is in your 4" hard rubber hose from the manifold to the through hull fitting. Unfortunately the access sounds like the most difficult part. Good Luck!