PDA

View Full Version : Boarding ladder- any idea?

premierproperties
08-08-2012, 08:06 AM
Occasionally I have guests on the boat that would like to get in the water, but don't due to the difficulty they would
Have getting back in the boat. Does anyone make a telescoping ladder (specific to a inboard ski boat) I could mount under the swim platform that would hide away when not in use, but would be there when needed?
Thanks in advance!

wotan2525
08-08-2012, 10:18 AM
I don't really understand the "difficulty" of getting back on a swim platform. But I won't argue with you..... http://www.garelick.com should have something.

premierproperties
08-08-2012, 12:04 PM
difficulty comes into play with older members of the family....they cant climb on like us whippersnappers;-)

Blackntan90
08-08-2012, 07:02 PM
I have been looking for a solution to this for some time now. I have the ladder from our old boat, and it is a great ladder but I cannot figure out how to mount it. It is one of those diving ladders that has one center leg, and it is angled like steps. I even lokked at little one step under-platform type steps. Those things seem too small to offer much help.

haugy
08-09-2012, 12:00 AM
Unfortunately, you would need one that locks into place under there and these platforms aren't really strong enough to hold a through bolt in singular locations for a load. Meaning 4 screws with over a 150lbs might pull it apart. If you do this, make sure you use really BIG washers, big in diameter to spread the load.

I would try to find a top loading ladder that folds onto the top of the platform. Also, you could rig up your own rope ladder that secures to the rear tow eye. And then use wood as the spacers (steps). That way you can take it on and off easily and also helps them get in range of the handles around the rear seats.

kjkimball
08-10-2012, 08:02 AM
I too have some family members who could not enjoy the water because of difficulties getting in and out. So, I added a retractable locking ladder under the platform on my Launch 242. The one I used is made by Marine Hardware, 3 step unit. We glassed in 2 mounting plates under the platform. These 2 plates are drilled and tapped and have bolts in them pointing down out of the fiberglass onto which the ladder is held with nuts. Since adding this for those who really needed it, we find we use it more and more. Climbing in the boat to clean it when on the trailer, when the kids are really wiped out after a tough set, etc. Feel free to email me at [email protected] if you have any questions.

haugy
08-10-2012, 11:13 AM
WOW! Nice work man!!! Can we get a picture or two of your glassed in plates underneath the platform?

How does it lock in place? Strap?

Sluggo
08-10-2012, 11:20 AM
Do you have any pics of the underside or the install process? Did you get the ladder unit online or locally? If online, could you share the link? What do think your overall cost was to add this? I always thought I would need to put something together that had a brace back to the hull to keep the ladder from going under the platform. I have seen houseboats with welded metal ladders and they all eventually break and start swinging under the boat making it harder to get on than no ladder at all. What kind of weight rating do you think the ladder would hold given it is held in place with fiberglass vs through the platform?

Sorry for all the questions, but I have some large relatives that never get out of the boat and I know they want to.

sybrmike
08-10-2012, 02:27 PM
Agreed, looks like nice workmanship & and seamless, functional addition. Great job.

suprasam
08-10-2012, 02:37 PM
kjkimball....great work. I know with my older Sunsport(teak platform) I wouldnt be able to do that. One the stress would be hard on it, plus I would think it might drag some if someone was skiing. If anyone who is "large" that would put a ton more stress on the platform and could eventually come back to haunt you. I would think an over the rail ladder is the best thing. Here is one from Overtons, that folds up good. Good luck
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Toonmate-Removable-Folding-Pontoon-Ladder-5-Step&i=99381&str=overrail+boat+ladder&merchID=4005

wspeedin
08-10-2012, 02:57 PM
My boat came with a swimladder already attached to the teak wim platform and it has worked great for my family and friends to use while in and out of the water. It is mounted using two U shaped plates with four through bolts on each leg of the ladder. It is a telescoping three rung ladder.
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k483/wspeedin/aftview2.jpg
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k483/wspeedin/swimplatform.jpg

Blackntan90
08-11-2012, 08:56 AM
Some really good ideas on here. I will need to look harder into doing this project on my Mariah. I too am concerned about the stresses on the platform...seems that the further the mounts are from the hull, the more of a 'lever' against the platform mounts.

kjkimball
08-12-2012, 08:25 AM
Hey, sorry for the delay in responding. Actually, I didn't bother taking photos of the process involved in adding the mounts to the platform. I will gather some pics and info and get back with a post later.

kjkimball
08-12-2012, 12:12 PM
OK. Grabbed some photos and made a quick sketch for you guys.

This 2011 platform has a core about 1/2" thick. So, we removed some of the core and underside glass, beveled the edges, bonded in the alum plates, glass over them. Still haven't black gelcoated the mod area but that is good for you guys to be able to see what was done.

I purchased the ladder directly from Marine Hardware part number LADR30004. It is a 3 step unit with a latching device operated by the red push button on the end. Easy to use and stays latched very well.

As for stress, I think the load put on the platform by riders hopping up and down on the edge of the deck is more load than someone walking up the ladder that is directly below that edge and a vertical pull down. The ladder pulls out and then folds down against the ladder bracket which holds it vertical. The load put on the platform is vertical down and about even with the edge of the platform so it really is no different than standing on top of the seadek. It cannot swing under by the design of the ladder support frame. So if you allow the large relatives to stand on the platform, it will work. I am 200lb. I have a friend who is also 200. We both stood on it and hopped up and down with the boat on the trailer. Passed.

For a teak deck, not sure what you need to do. I didn't have one so I didn't need to solve that issue.

Tmoney
08-12-2012, 08:31 PM
OMG, that is such an awesome upgrade and looks very professional.

I've been looking around fo something like this too and just wish I had the know how to pull it off on my 2001 242 Launch.

It's the one thing I think Supra could add to make these boats stand out even further....I bet they take your modification and add it
to future models....if they don't, they are nuts and not paying attention to this fourth.

My wife's parents are pushing 70 and still in great shape but a ladder would make it soooo much nicer getting in and out not to
mention for the tired riders at end of a long weekend.

I LOVE IT!!!!!

bmtsupra
08-13-2012, 09:27 AM
Great job on that install, it looks factory. Definitely an upgrade I may do this winter. Thanks for sharing the pics.

haugy
08-13-2012, 11:36 AM
That's impressive man, really nice work.

cigars n scotch
08-13-2012, 06:37 PM
Isn't your boat for sale now too?

kjkimball
08-13-2012, 07:14 PM
Isn't your boat for sale now too?

Yes it is. Awesome boat. As you may have read elsewhere, I got a chance to drive the new SA550 and I am thinking to get one. So, to do that, the 242 needs a new home. I have my 2010 Saetta Classic wooden boat for sale as well since it is not getting used much since getting the 242.

cigars n scotch
08-14-2012, 10:59 AM
Dayyuum you have some scratch if you're looking at getting a SA550. Just curious why you did this mod if you're selling? Was it before you saw the SA550?

If you get it you HAVE to post like 50 pictures!

haugy
08-14-2012, 11:12 AM
Yes it is. Awesome boat. As you may have read elsewhere, I got a chance to drive the new SA550 and I am thinking to get one. So, to do that, the 242 needs a new home. I have my 2010 Saetta Classic wooden boat for sale as well since it is not getting used much since getting the 242.

Well you have reached full blown baller status if you have one of these as well. Nice.

http://www.saettaboats.com/images/notizie/5/1.jpg

kjkimball
08-14-2012, 06:36 PM
Haha! As you can see, I am selling 2 boats and will buy only 1 to replace them. Still not absolutely set on the SA550 but it is one I am looking at. I first drove the prototype test "SA" back in January when it was in my area for secret tests but I had no idea what it looked like. It was the hull of the new boat but had a deck, tower, and other parts from other SC boats to hide the true look. It has no interior and plywood to sit on. But, it drove and handled fantastic with a wake that was beyond anything else. I was impressed with the supercharged engine too. So, when the SA550 was released, I got to see it in photos then stopped by SC while on a road trip and saw the SA450 in person. I have never been a pickle fork fan so I was not sure how I would like it. I then had a chance to drive and observe a couple of sets on the SA550, gunmetal one and that gave me even more insight into the boat. Honestly, I am not sure if I can convince the wife and family into a smaller boat after having the space of the 242. But, we will see.

As for the Mod, I did it about a year ago along with most of the other things I have done to the 242 since Jan 2011 when I get it. I will put a ladder on the next boat too. Really nice for those who need it and even riders who are pretty whipped after a set.

I will certainly post pics of my new Supra when I get it.

Dayyuum you have some scratch if you're looking at getting a SA550. Just curious why you did this mod if you're selling? Was it before you saw the SA550?

If you get it you HAVE to post like 50 pictures!

kjkimball
08-14-2012, 06:44 PM
Haugy,

I have the only one of these. A friend and myself developed the Saetta Classic as a kit as a side business to our custom aircraft building and vintage plane restoration. I built it with help from family and friends in 2010. Fully CNC wood, modern running surface, 50mph on the same Indmar 340 cat engine like in my supra. The Saetta was my first ever boat. The 242 my second. The saetta is 20ft long and 6 place with all the classic lines of a vintage boat with the modern conveniences of push button start, electronic throttle and shift, stereo, cruise, wake boat style underwater gear, leather interior, etc. The economy has made selling kits for this floating art a bit tough and complete custom built boats from the kits even tougher. Times will improve and then there will be a bunch of these on the lakes of the world.

Oh yeah, this one doesn't have the ladder on it like my 242 since it doesn't have a platform.

Well you have reached full blown baller status if you have one of these as well. Nice.

http://www.saettaboats.com/images/notizie/5/1.jpg