PDA

View Full Version : moving to texas, boat has no title, what do I do?

matt k
08-11-2012, 07:31 PM
So, my 1986 comp is registered in NH, where it doesn't need and doesn't have a title. In texas, all motor boats need to have a title. What do I do? Can I apply for a new title in texas? Do I need to sell the boat to my friend in MA, apply for a new title there, and then have him sell the boat to me in texas? Obviously I'd rather not have to do that...

any ideas?

CornRickey
08-11-2012, 08:56 PM
Call a dmv in Texas and get the most right answer. Keeping in mind that I got a different answer from every office that I called when I bought mine.

HtxConbrio
08-12-2012, 12:14 AM
You will need to contact Texas Parks and Wildlife. They handle boat titles and registration. What part of Texas are you moving to?

a_deleon
08-13-2012, 04:09 PM
Here is a link to help speed things up for when you move to Texas.

Look at (How do I register my boat in Texas if it is already registered and/or titled in another state?)
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/faq/fishboat/boat/registration_and_titles/

matt k
08-14-2012, 01:44 PM
Moving to austin, really looking forward to it. It LOOKS like it should be pretty straightforward, as long as I have the old reg and bill of sale (which I do), and can make a pencil tracing of the hull ID number (which is kind of hilarious). Currently the boat is reg'd to my father, since it lives at his house in NH, and I live in MA.

Any of you guys in the greater austin area? It looks like I won't be able to keep the boat in my driveway (stupid HOA), but there's a storage place right around the corner that has pretty cheap boat spots.

Skylar18
08-15-2012, 03:11 PM
I live in Austin, What info are you looking for and where in Austin are you going to be in?

matt k
09-20-2012, 02:17 PM
Well, I made it! Greased up the bearing buddies every morning, and had no problems at all. Reg and title was a breeze, it's great that you deal with fish and wildlife, and not the RMV... Now I just have to find the time to put it in the water! (skylar i'm in south austin, off slaughter)