PDA

View Full Version : Neutral throttle position issue

dkelly4819
08-14-2012, 07:07 PM
I recently purchased an 89 Sunsport and often the engine won't start when I turn the key and I have to work the throttle back and forth and back into the neutral position, sometimes several times, until the engine will turn over. It seems that whatever detects the neutral position doesn't always recognize that the boat is in neutral. It can happen first time I go out, or after starting and stopping the engine multiple times during the day without previous issue. Can someone tell me where to look and what to check for?

Ptownkid
08-14-2012, 07:26 PM
It's a little gizmo on the side of the transmission where the cable connects.

Don't know your transmission but it looks like this http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R153002

OUI
08-14-2012, 07:44 PM
Mine does the same thing. I just giggle it a little. My next step is to disconnect the switch. If you want to do the same, just disconnect the wires from the switch and connect them together. In fact all you have to do is connect both wires onto the same terminal.

Ptownkid
08-14-2012, 08:52 PM
That will work, but recommending that someone defeat a safety feature is probably not a good idea.

CornRickey
08-14-2012, 09:36 PM
Try cleaning the terminals on the switch. That was the problem with mine. I wired in a jumper switch so if it goes bad again all I have to do is flip a switch to get home.

michael hunter
08-15-2012, 07:09 AM
Sounds like the neutral safety switch is bad or out of adjustment.

dkelly4819
08-16-2012, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the information and suggestions! I will be heading to the lake this weekend and will take a look and see what the situation is.