PDA

View Full Version : custom seating in your DD

Docster
08-16-2012, 08:58 PM
anyone ever try to create more seating in a DD boat? something like what the mc X14 has? I would like to do something like this as a winter project to add a little more storage room, and maybe another spot for a person to sit. hmmm.

here is the X14 style i was thinking, shouldnt be too terrible. maybe make it so i could throw a medium sized cooler in there.

if you have tried it, lets see it!

cadunkle
08-16-2012, 09:48 PM
Should be reasonably easy. For early Supras I believe most already have a cooler up front, but could be used for ballast. Would be uneven but maybe could put another sack in the wasted space behind observer seat. Probably would be too far spread to make an even wake though. Could move batteries and put weight under observer seat, but wouldn't be able to fit as much under there as under the new seat on starboard side of doghouse. Alternatively make the seating wrap entirely around the doghouse. Could be weird moving around the boat, but it's been done before and surely would be better than crawling over sacks all day.

devovino
08-17-2012, 12:46 AM
I took a page out of SyberMike's book, and built a box last week that fits behind the drivers seat and acts as storage, but I mainly did it to hold my 800lb fly high fat sack, and still be able to use the space there to walk around on top of the box. Look at Sybermikes pictures he has a really nice wrap around seating arrangement there, and his has cushions for seating and a back rest, I did not have any vinyl from when I re-did all my upholstery, so I just used the same carpet as I used on my floor. If your interested I can post a picture here tomorrow when its light out so you can get a general idea of how it looks.

devovino
08-17-2012, 07:38 PM
Well here's a few pictures of the storage box I built, which makes it easier to walk about when I have fat sacks pumped up. It has two hinged doors, i might consider making a cushion and a backrest to double as more of a reclined seat like Sybermike did.

86 century
08-17-2012, 09:22 PM
Did or are you planning on building one for the other side.

devovino
08-18-2012, 12:05 AM
You know I thought about building one for the other side, but have not they. Mostly because I am surfing on the starboard side but node that I think about it, I do put 800 lbs on starboard side, and 650 port side. My concern would be losing the depth of the floor, we have our bambino out often and she is walking around a lot, and losing 14 inches from the depth of the floor might put her over the tipping points,. Other than that it super functional and would not mind have seating all the way around.

86 century
08-18-2012, 09:47 AM
Having a fearless 3 year old that is a big concern of mine aswell keeping him in the boat is tuff.

sybrmike
08-18-2012, 02:27 PM
Yeah Docster, the X14 was my inspiration as well. Nice looking box Devo. You could easily replace those top pieces with a padded top cushion, makes a nice rear facing seat.

Just in case, here's mine again. What made mine work was that I redid the configuration of the rear bench so I was able to make all the bases with more depth (10") so the space was usable and the elevations all lined up.
10962 10963 10964