PDA

View Full Version : LED trailer lights, wow...

cadunkle
08-17-2012, 08:30 PM
Had a bad bulb in my incandescent lights so bit the bullet and ordered a pair of LED lights since I knew my old housings were leaking. Wow, these things are the cat's meow. Very bright and visible compared to my old lights... and should never burn out. Now I just need to add side marker lights on front of the fenders. I hate not being able to see where my trailer is at night. Was thinking about doing "landing strip" lights on the frame rails too. Maybe overkill, but would probably make it easier to load at night. Anyhow, the LED taillights seem like a good safety improvement, I'm pleased.

gogger
08-17-2012, 09:46 PM
With you on the LED's. Replaced my old lights with a set of LED's from Harbor Freight. Love them. Makes the trailer look a lot newer rolling down the road at night. NAPA had some side markers I am in the process of adding.

mr.jrc
08-17-2012, 09:56 PM
Cory, did you replace them with a replica housing w/LED's? I need to do the same.. the incandescent's are tired after 26 yrs.
John

cadunkle
08-17-2012, 11:12 PM
Yes John, same style housing. I got this kit... http://www.wholesalemarine.com/p/OPT-TLL-16RK/Optronics+Low+Profile+LED+Waterproof+Over+80
Definitely a big step up from the old incandescents.

Blackntan90
08-18-2012, 08:22 AM
Don't forget the 'clearance lights' (light bar) under the rear of the trailer. I replaced all my trailer lights a couple of years ago with the LED's. It really does make a great upgrade- trailer looks almost brand new! My biggest problem was the harness running through the boxed frame of the trailer- the wires would rub from vibrations going down the road causing shorts with no way to secure the harness. My solution was to wrap the new harness with split loom tubing and lots of vinyl tape- I have not had an issue for years now...

Okie Boarder
08-22-2012, 12:49 PM
Did the same last year...huge difference...love them!

wotan2525
08-22-2012, 01:43 PM
I'm also "upgraded" to LEDs. The big truck stop near my house actually had them for waaaay less than I could find them for online. Might be worth checking out....