PDA

View Full Version : Raw Water PUmp.....351 PCM

suprasam
08-20-2012, 11:47 AM
I know boats are expensive to buy parts for...so I am just venting, but DAMN a new raw water pump for my boat is 375.00! That is just STUPID! I think wotan, rebuilt his for around 150.00 but he has the presses and the know how to rebuild it. I think if I ended up taking it apart, i would screw something up and still need to buy a new one. UGH, again just venting.......although even after the vent, still dont feel any better! Oh well.

wotan2525
08-20-2012, 01:11 PM
I'd take the old pump, rebuild kit and instructions to a machine shop. I bet they could rebuild your old pump for around $50-100. It's really not that tough.... OR... buy this press and do it yourself! http://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-arbor-press-3552.html -- Go slow and you can't really hurt/screw anything up.

When I first bought my boat I didn't know how to fix/repair anything. Since then I've just tackled every problem/issue that has come up and even though I'm a long way away from a professional mechanic, I'm no longer intimidated by engines, electrical repair, fiberglass, brakes, or water pumps. ;)

Jetlink
08-20-2012, 01:20 PM
Or, buy the rebuild kit, ship the pump and kit with $50-$100 bucks to Wotan...problem solved!

foxriverat
08-20-2012, 01:59 PM
This is the best price I could find. $299 Free shipping. http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/Sherwood_Cooling_Pumps-Sherwood_G21_Pleasurecraft_Engine_Cooling_Pump.htm l

suprasam
08-20-2012, 04:38 PM
Thanks for that link.....it is cheaper there, but I am going to try and do the major rebuild myself(fingers crossed).

Ben....I was thinking about that, but now that he has one under his belt now, Wotan might decide to overprice me. Besides....shipping it would prob cost 30 bux.

Wotan, I sent you a PM.....asking a couple of questions, if you don't mind let me know what you think.

**Side note, I called indmar, they gave me all the parts to rebuild from their site and the total was only $88.64. This seems a lot freaking cheaper now! She told me I needed the #32911 Seal/Seat, #0620 Bearings(x2), #0621 Thrustwasher, #0622 Gasket, #R048069 Retainer Ring (x2) and #R048070 Retainer Ring Large(x2).

wotan2525
08-20-2012, 08:00 PM
That might be possible.... I can't remember what items in the major rebuild kit are the most expensive, but I think the most important is the seal/seat, bearings and cam. AFAIK the other parts can be reused (assuming you don't break them!) Check the wear plate for scoring, too.

NorCalPR
08-20-2012, 08:18 PM
I rebuilt my Johnson Raw water pump, with no press, in about 40 minutes.

Use a hammer, a couple drift pins, a couple sockets, a couple blocks of wood, and a vice.

Presses aren't always needed. Shoot, I did a gear install for my truck without a press...