PDA

View Full Version : What is the best lake in Texas?

The boy
08-20-2012, 11:01 PM
I'm just wondering what it the most popular lake in Texas beside lake Travis

89 sunsport

ramzak
08-20-2012, 11:05 PM
I dont know which is the most popular... but Sommerville, Canyon, Conroe, all come to mind.

Lake Waco is great.

Possum Kingdom is beautuful...

What are you looking for?

Party? Beautiy? stuff for kids? quiet? bars and restaurants?

houses or camping? fishing?

The boy
08-20-2012, 11:08 PM
I'm just seeing what other people like I'm mostly on Conroe or sommerville

22supra
08-21-2012, 12:02 PM
I'm with you boy, mostly on Conroe or Somerville because of location. Our favorite by far is LBJ as it is constant level and when your up in the river portion water is perfect.

ramzak
08-21-2012, 03:33 PM
Tell me more about LBJ!!!

dickboxers
08-21-2012, 09:35 PM
Nice to see people on somerville. Im always and only there. This is still my first boat so i love the comfort of knowing the lake very well which is nice. Been to lake conroe and dont even want to take my boat there because its so rough. Now if i had a huge cigar boat, hell yeah. My cousin and them are at canyon lake and thats probably the next place ill go. I did just put the flush kit on the boat so i might hit some rivers up down here by the coast. Somerville is nice because i drive to party cove, hang out till most people leave, then shread the slick water. Also the water is glass most mornings. I would also like to here more about lbj.

I will be at somerville for the next 2 weekends, so say whats up if you see me.

Doomswell
08-21-2012, 09:58 PM
Canyon Lake is the tits!

The boy
08-21-2012, 10:49 PM
Yeah sommerville is close and easy Conroe was the first lake I took my boat on and it just gets too rough but when I go there I'm inbettween walden and bent water or the north end and at sommerville I like the iland out there so if you see and green and black 89 sunspot come over and say hi if you want

ramzak
08-21-2012, 11:06 PM
Yeah, Conroe has been to choppy for all of my previous boats (88 Mastercraft 19', 96 Crownline 17'). So I never liked it. The nightlife on the South side of the lake is cool.

I basically grew up on Sommervile. Thats where I got my passion for boating.

Ill say hi if I notice a fellow Supra.

ramzak
08-21-2012, 11:07 PM
Want to go to Canyon Lake next. Heard a lot about it, never been.

sybrmike
08-22-2012, 10:05 AM
When they have water, the hill country lakes are my favorites in Texas, but they're a haul & water levels haven't been consistent in years.

I'm another that grew up on Sommerville - usually put in at Rocky Creek and run the south shore depending on the wind. Still frequent it the most just because it's close and familiar. No Conroe for me unless it's during the week. The recent Moomba/Supra Jam introduced me to the Trinity river north of Livingston & it was great. Probably can't be beat for butter, but river boating is definitely different than the lake. Haven't decided between the two yet for this Saturday????

The boy
08-22-2012, 10:37 AM
I haven't ether we were going to go to canyon but than the trans went out

The boy
08-22-2012, 10:39 AM
Yeah we were toting to go to Canyon but we have to replace are transmission

22supra
08-22-2012, 11:36 AM
LBJ is the hill country setting similar to Travis but is constant level. never down or up it is on the Chain of lakes with Travis on the Colorado River. The south end of the lake is OK, this is where you will find Horshoe Bay Resort high priced condo's/houses and lots of open water. The north end of the lake is amazing basically a constant level river for miles all the way to Inks lake dam, you can't make it all the way to the dam but pretty close before you get into rapids flowing from the dam. Plenty of miles to find the "butter". It is constant level as it is used as the holding tank for the colorado river authority. Buchanon is drained to keep LBJ constant and Travis suffers to assure LBJ has enough water to provide for farmers along lower colorado river is the way i was told.

As some stated here Canyon is also top notch but all of these will cost me $300 in truck fuel just to get there and back.

dickboxers
08-22-2012, 06:52 PM
Yeah that whole gas issues keeps me at somerville. Ill look for y'all around somerville.

22supra
08-22-2012, 07:48 PM
Is party cove the same as what they call pecan creek? across the lake from birch creek park.

ramzak
08-23-2012, 12:26 AM
Its Pecan Lake, and yeah I heard people calling it the Party Cove.

Its just south of Snake Island

The boy
08-23-2012, 12:26 PM
dose anybody here go to snake island because last summer when the lake was down there was a pretty good size beach and wwe were over there

rdlangston13
08-24-2012, 04:49 PM
Rivers are where it's at. Trinity river north of Lake Livingston to be exact. The Hwy 19 public launch is just 20 miles or so off of I45 outside of Huntsville. Once in the water you can go south towards the lake for 9 miles before you actually get into the lake or north up river for 14+ miles. Livingston is another "constant level lake" (we dropped about 4 feet due to drought last year) and once in the river you will see the dept stays between 25 and 50 ft. Just stay in the center 1/3 and enjoy seemingly endless glass!

This is where we had the 2012 Texas Moomba/Supra Jam, go check out the pictures for yourself!

The boy
08-24-2012, 11:02 PM
How do you find out when the next supra jam is?

rdlangston13
08-25-2012, 12:37 AM
watch the forum and I will post a thread, I posted one this last year and no one even responded to it.

sybrmike
08-26-2012, 10:39 PM
Umm, almost no one...

David's right, the Trinity was awesome butter all day long at the Jam. Selfishly, I hope the word doesn't get out to too many folks, but 20+ miles of river can accommodate a lot of boats.