PDA

View Full Version : Clogged intake for rear ballast

incognito
08-21-2012, 03:08 PM
I have a 2002 Supra Launch and it seems like this model is pretty consistent with this problem. I had problems with my fat sac not draining properly, so I took a hose to it after pulling the hose off the pump. Wow, looks like a birds nest came out! Anyway, everything seems to working properly (for now) in the pumps dept, except the rear ballast intake. I have narrowed it down to it being a clog from the intake under the boat to the pump, or the pump itself. Anyone had any experience with this? I see large bolt on a fitting in between the pump and the elbow that goes into the hull. I took a water hose and pushed some water in the intake, and nothing happens. The water inside the pump is the same nasty water that was there before. Any help would be appreciated.

incognito
09-05-2012, 12:18 PM
Ok, so I had time to check the intake and it appears that it isn't clogged. I took the hose off of the pump, and the same nasty water just kind of bubbles up but doesn't leave the pump. So, I'm thinking to pump has taken a dump on me. Supra says that the direct replacement for that pump is a 2000 gph pump, but its around 140 bucks if its in stock. Do yall think that a 800 gph would do the job ok for a lot less? Maybe an Attwood Tsunami? I have yet to fill up the rear ballast with any pump so I don't know.

supraaddict
09-05-2012, 04:39 PM
I was going to replace mine with a Tsunami 1200 GPH, if you decide to go with the Tsunami, let us know how it goes, and maybe take some pics of your install.
The factory Rule is said to be rated at 1200GPH, even though it says 2000 GPH. I am pretty sure I have read that with the factory valves that are after the pump restrict flow so you will not actually get 2000 GPH out of the Rule pump.

incognito
09-07-2012, 03:23 PM
I appreciate the info. That answers my question on which pump to get. Things like that you just don't know till you ask, thank you sir.

supraaddict
09-07-2012, 03:26 PM
No problem, good luck on your project!