PDA

View Full Version : cleaning carb

suprasam
08-21-2012, 08:01 PM
I have never rebuilt my Carb, but every once in a while after running hard it seems to choke out. I pulled off the breather, and it has a little dust/oil film.......very lightly . I was thinking about unbolting and spraying it with Carb cleaner to see if this helps prior to a rebuild. Is this an issue by doing what I am thinking?

TitanTn
08-21-2012, 09:47 PM
If you're going through the trouble of unbolting the 4 bolts that hold it to the intake manifold... you might as well rebuild it. It's really easy and cheap.

92SupraComp
08-21-2012, 10:38 PM
i would have it rebuilt by a mechanic. they acid wash them and they come out like new. They look, and perform like a new and actually better. a new carb usually has dust from manufacturing and this causes problems with new carbs a lot of the time. and its cheap to have someone rebuild it who rebuilds them on a daily basis.

suprasam
08-22-2012, 09:32 AM
I can take it to a local shop I suppose.....but (excuse my ignorance) is it easy to take off have them rebuild and then me bolt back up? I mean would I need to do any tuning once its on the lake? Thanks for the heads up....just making sure I wouldn't need to take the whole boat. I know my local small shop will do it, but they don't have the room to store my boat.

92SupraComp
08-22-2012, 09:25 PM
it is extremely easy to unbolt and bot back on. the only tuning would be tuning the idle (very easy to do). un bolting the carb is pretty straight forward. just have a tool box with you and look at what has to be done. undo the 4 bolt that hold the carb to intake (careful, they can be pretty tight) and the undo the throttle cable and done! now you do need to buy a new gasket (very cheap) and usually the mechanics will include the gasket with the re-build. if you are cautious about removing the carb i would definitely recommend having it rebuilt by a mechanic.