PDA

View Full Version : 85 Supra Sunsport

metalic
08-22-2012, 03:51 PM
I have a Sunsport for sale 15 minutes from home and trying to decide if I should purchase or pass. I love the way these boats look and from everything I read about them they are a great boat except the wood problems that can be had. The boat is on it's second owner which has had it the last ten years and always kept inside. My cousin knows him and said everything he owns is well cared for. I walked around the boat and everything feels solid but I know there has to be rot somewhere correct? If I decide to go back and take another look what and where should I look? (known problem areas that always go first) What should I look for and is there any secret to hit, poke, etc?

Thanks

chrisk
08-22-2012, 03:57 PM
There doesn't HAVE to be rot, a lot of times there is though. Just walk on the floor and feel for soft spots. If the floor is soft there will be stringer rot. After you check the floor, check the 4 motor mounts. If you can see cracking, indentations, etc. around those that most likely means the stringers are rotting. Finally, if you can push your finger into any part of the two main stringers then they're obviously rotten. Good luck with it! Taking and posting pics on here would help more with your diagnosis of whether or not it's a good buy.

michael hunter
08-24-2012, 06:35 PM
What state is the boat located? Maybe you can get a more experienced member to go and check it out with you?