PDA

View Full Version : Engine Stays in Gear, won't go into neutral

Never Enough
08-23-2012, 12:58 PM
My 1990 Supra Conbrio won't go into neutral. When I start the motor, it is in gear. The neutral switch isn't working either. Any advice on what to look for?

wotan2525
08-23-2012, 01:55 PM
Disconnect the control linkage on the transmission and (with the engine off) see if you can move the shift lever.

Also see if you can move the controls once it is disconnected. It would be helpful to find out if the problem is in the control, the cable, the tranny, or the linkage.

Never Enough
08-23-2012, 02:13 PM
Thanks, I will try this when I get home in a couple hours. This happenned while we were on the lake and the boat accelerated normally and everything else seemed to be fine, just wouldn't go into neutral.

Never Enough
08-25-2012, 12:23 AM
Disconnect the control linkage on the transmission and (with the engine off) see if you can move the shift lever.

Also see if you can move the controls once it is disconnected. It would be helpful to find out if the problem is in the control, the cable, the tranny, or the linkage.

I disconnected the controls, they appear to be fine and the shift lever moves properly. There was no transmission fluid reading in the stick so I filled it and restarted the engine. The results are the same, it still starts and stays in gear, accelerating fine. Now I am wondering what kind of damage may have been done to the transmission since the it was without fluid. Any other ideas? Thank you.

lively
08-27-2012, 01:25 PM
Friction plates are locked up due to no lubtacation. Try filling the case up with dextron and let sit to soak the plates

Never Enough
08-29-2012, 12:53 PM
I added the Dextron last week and still no luck. The engine still won't go into neutral and it dies in reverse, forward is fine. Any other thoughts before I bring it in and have someone look at the tranny? Thanks.

lively
09-04-2012, 01:44 PM
Tranny is very simple to overhaul , do a search on here and I have a rebuild (how too)
Kit is 156.00 on eBay .. And the manual is downloadable on the net just google it

Never Enough
09-18-2012, 02:51 PM
Thanks! Our local shop just quoted me $2K for a re-build and $3K for a replacement. I will google and download the manual.

crystal waters
09-18-2012, 05:33 PM
3K for a replacement is stupid! Ski DiM will sell you a new 1:23 for 1720.00.

lively
09-26-2012, 06:07 PM
do not pay 2K for a rebuild ... can you turn a wrench ? are you knowledgeable with tools and cars ect...? if you want to pay 2k ill shipp you my spare!! lol

Never Enough
10-03-2012, 03:48 PM
Thanks, I will not pay the 2K! It looks like my best bet is to try a rebuild. I am good with tools, but this one will be new to me. I have a friend who loves working on cars, he's going to help me.