PDA

View Full Version : 4 Blade Prop Advantages

MDVols
08-23-2012, 10:58 PM
I've owned a comp and I just bought an 87 Saltare and I was just wondering what the advantages are with a 4 blade
opposed to a 3 blade prop. And if anyone has any tips or recommendations that will be appreciated also, thanks and I'll hang up and listen.

tg0824SSVGG
08-24-2012, 09:22 AM
What do you use your boat for? Skiiing, Wakeboarding - cruising, surfing?

The answer to your question depends on what you need from your prop ... more details would help - but I think
you can't go wrong going to the main prop manufacturers sites and reading what they say, OJ Props now has a 5 blade!

http://www.ojprops.com/products
http://www.acmemarine.com/faq.php

I also did a google search with these words - got lots of hits from a lot of places: 4 blade prop vs 3 blade inboard

MDVols
08-24-2012, 07:26 PM
Ok thanks for the info. I mainly like to wakeboard and cruise.

TitanTn
08-26-2012, 04:28 PM
I just bought a prop from Nettles Props, and JT recommended a 3-blade for my Saltare. I can't remember the specific reason, but he had some specifics as to why a 3-blade was better for my boat than 4-blade. It had to do with the size and weight. After running it, I am a believer. There are so many variables that go into proper prop selection, that it's worth talking to someone in the business. Tell them what type of boating you do, what kind of performance you're looking for, and let them make a recommendation.

Where abouts in TN are you? I'm down in Chattanooga.

CornRickey
08-26-2012, 07:53 PM
I ran a 4 blade on my SN and went back to a 3 blade and was happier.

sybrmike
08-26-2012, 10:59 PM
I think the push to 4 blades was originally to get more surface area. The new CNC machined 3 blades can have a lot more surface area than the old 3 blades, so I don't think more blades are necessarily better anymore. Now it's more a matter of matching prop speed to engine speed/hp for specific usage. At Nettle's recommendation, I put an ACME 541 3 blade on my Saltare (& like Titan) couldn't be happier - I can run mid-40's & still plane out with 2800# of ballast. Definitely call the experts (JT at Nettles, Acme, OJ) & get a recommendation for your specific needs.

MDVols
08-29-2012, 10:57 PM
Greenbrier, its about 20 min north of Nasville. Thanks for everyone's input.

MDVols
08-29-2012, 11:09 PM
I'm also thinking I need a new steering cable, so how hard hard are they to put in and what kind do y'all recommend?

haugy
08-31-2012, 11:28 AM
I think the push to 4 blades was originally to get more surface area. The new CNC machined 3 blades can have a lot more surface area than the old 3 blades, so I don't think more blades are necessarily better anymore. Now it's more a matter of matching prop speed to engine speed/hp for specific usage. At Nettle's recommendation, I put an ACME 541 3 blade on my Saltare (& like Titan) couldn't be happier - I can run mid-40's & still plane out with 2800# of ballast. Definitely call the experts (JT at Nettles, Acme, OJ) & get a recommendation for your specific needs.

What are the specs on your prop? What's your cruising speed now? What RPM do your secondaries kick in? Hows your bottom end out of the hole?

You'll probably run and drive like I do, but I do find myself doing more cruising now than pulling, so I'm trying to better my performance, and work on that holeshot a little bit.

TitanTn
08-31-2012, 11:49 AM
What are the specs on your prop? What's your cruising speed now? What RPM do your secondaries kick in? Hows your bottom end out of the hole?

You'll probably run and drive like I do, but I do find myself doing more cruising now than pulling, so I'm trying to better my performance, and work on that holeshot a little bit.

You weren't asking me, but I have the same boat and prop. The ACME 541 is a 13x12, .80 cup, 1" bore 3-blade prop. It comes recommended by JT Nettles as the best prop for mixed pulling and cruising. My cruising speed is about 24 mph. I'm not sure if that's the "best" speed, but it feels the most efficient. I haven't paid attention to the RPMs when the secondaries kick in. I just try to stay out of it unless I need them. I think the hole shot is excellent, but that'll differ by user. I have a friend with a 2008 Nauti, 20' wakeboard boat and a "performance prop." He says my hole shot is better. I know I could get an even better hole shot, but in an attempt to find the best of acceleration and efficiency, I agree with Nettles (and Mike). This 541 is a great prop for the Saltare.