PDA

View Full Version : Older Comp questions

blazerman
08-24-2012, 05:09 PM
I'm a new guy and if all goes well will be joining the supra gang soon. Over the last couple of years at my lake place I have been losing interest in the PWC stuff and started considering a boat.

After looking for a couple of years there is 1 boat that stands WAY out above the crowd in my eyes. It is an early 90's comp that a guy across the lake has - best looking boat on the water bar none (including the 50K boats with all the bling), that thing rocks. I don't wakeboard, mainly looking for something to cruise and for the kids to tube and every once in a while ski/board behind - strictly ameteur fun.

Anyhow, now that I have decided what, I just have to find the right one. I have been reading and looks like I need to check motor mount bolts for stringer rot, any other tips on trouble spots for these boats?

Got my eye on a couple of local ones, just want to go armed with the right questions.

thanks

Blackntan90
08-24-2012, 06:11 PM
Do a lake test, does it turn easily left and right- by that I mean does the wheel turn easily, or is it difficult. This could mean you will need to replace the steering cable. Check the compression of the cylinders- should be pretty close to one another. I do not have exact numbers on what this should be, perhaps someone on here can chime in with that. Drive over your own wake a few times to see if the boat has a solid feel, etc. Good luck!

crystal waters
08-24-2012, 06:27 PM
1992 or newer gets you away from the wooden stringers and all the concerns that go with it! Supra used fibreglass stringers from 1992 on -----look for the rounded /curved windshield as your first sign and as you may already know the last 2 digits of the serial number on the back right of the transom represent the year. Do check the compression of the cylinders as advised by Blackntan90!
Take your time looking for the right boat. If you miss one today you will always find a nicer one tommorrow! Pride of ownership in the condition of your prospective purchase can tell you a lot!
best of luck in your search!

blazerman
08-24-2012, 07:08 PM
1992 or newer gets you away from the wooden stringers and all the concerns that go with it! Supra used fibreglass stringers from 1992 on -----look for the rounded /curved windshield as your first sign and as you may already know the last 2 digits of the serial number on the back right of the transom represent the year. Do check the compression of the cylinders as advised by Blackntan90!
Take your time looking for the right boat. If you miss one today you will always find a nicer one tommorrow! Pride of ownership in the condition of your prospective purchase can tell you a lot!
best of luck in your search!

Thanks for the replies, I didn't think about the steering cables. I have read about the switch to all fiberglass in '92 and would definitely prefer that but there is just something about the straight style windshield that adds to the look of the hull - it will just depend on if I can find the right older one. I do see comp classics every once in a while that are mid to late 90's, are these all fiberglass as well?

I have a couple in my area right now that look to be very well cared for with under 450 hours on them (both '91s), I will be getting serious soon.

Does anyone know if these are narrow enough to fit thru an 8' garage door? My boat shed was built many years ago for an old sanger flat bottom...

86 century
08-24-2012, 10:20 PM
Our 90 bravura will fit through an 8' door if I pull the guides in with a ratchet strap

dirtdiver8282
08-26-2012, 09:24 AM
I have a 91 supra changed the engine oil, trans oil, and some type of cooler part made of rubber? keeps the engine running cool. I have had a blast runs well and know i have 2 pwc's setting in the back yard so i know what you mean. Cleaned up the inside and buffed the boat looks great. I didnt' know about the stringer thing but no problems so far.
Good luck

David

HtxConbrio
08-26-2012, 05:28 PM
If you are looking at one of the wood boats make sure you pop open the cover to the bilge. If you see multiple layers of plywood, run away and don't look back. I found out this weekend that in my 90 Conbrio someone had put down wood over the rotten stuff and it is a royal pain to deal with. I bought the boat a few months ago and the floor was really solid with newer carpet. I wish I would have paid a little more attention to this. It is a clear indicator that someone has tried to cover something wrong up in the past.