PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl replacement???

cwkoch
09-22-2005, 05:07 PM
I bought a used 1998 Supra Comp in June. It has been a great boat so far. When I bought it the rear seats were already developing some cracks, and they\'ve gotten far worse since then. I know the boat was well taken care of by the previous owner, he is just as anal as me. The exterior is like new. I don\'t think these seats should be in such bad condition in a boat that not all the old. It only has 300 hours on it (220 when I bought it) and it\'s stored indoors when it\'s not being used on the lake. The front seat is now getting some cracks on it also near the seams, I know it will just be a matter of time before it\'s all falling apart. I\'ve heard that Supra had vinyl problems with boats around this year because they used a fuzzy-backed vinyl. Is this true? Does anyone have any idea of the cost of getting it all re-upholstered? Supra- if you\'re monitoring this, what is the cost of getting new vinyl from the factory? Any help anyone could give would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ed Obermeier
09-23-2005, 08:58 AM
Most makers offer replacement skins for their seats, be worth calling the factory to see what they want for them. You'd still have to find a shop to install them or do it yourself if you know how. Generally if you can find a local shop that specializes in boat seats you can get it done a bit cheaper. Get recommendations for a reputable local shop and price both.

I had to redo a couple skins in my 2000 Legacy this past spring (same vinyl as your '98 I think), the observers seat and the trunk cover. Had it done at a local shop; the vinyl they used was a much better grade and was an excellent match. They did an excellent job, looks just like factory. Cost me $300 for those two. Now I need to redo the seat bottom in the drivers seat, I think that was just the vinyl used in that era Comp/Legacy, don't know about the fuzzy-backed thing. They've changed vinyl since then, the current material may be better stuff?